PDA

View Full Version : My Afternoon .....From Bad To Worse

lizbud
05-08-2006, 04:56 PM
I can't wait for my guardian angel to get back from vacation. :D

I had gathered up all the dog's shot records & send them with my check
for my Findley dog park permit.Went to the post office to mail them off.
When I got home I discovered I had not included the "Permit App." with
the mail, so put it in another envelope & raced back to the post office.

When I got home, I shut the car door on my thumb, nearly passed out
from the pain. I opened the door with my other hand & had to let go of
Smokeys collar. Smokey went trotting off down the alley. :eek: I ran
after him & and got him back & led him into the back yard.Then I got Maggie out of the car & got her into the yard.I had no ice in the house for the
swollen thumb, so I used 2 frozen hamburger patties & an dish towel to
wrap around my thumb. The nail has already turned black. :eek:

Tomorrow has got to be better. :D

Karen
05-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Yowch!

I once squashed my finger completely flat, tucking in a corner of a deposit bag into the night deposit at the bank after the mall closed. Unfortunately, those things (the bins with the huge metal "teeth") that are weighted and balanced, etc, and cannot be swung back open for security purposes until empty, so I had to holler for someone to come help me get my finger out. So I feel your squashed finger pain. Miraculously, no bones were broken in my case, and the nail didn't even discolor for some reason - but BOY it hurt!

Tomorrow WILL be better - though maybe you should type up a little response card to hand out to everyone who asks "Wow, Liz, what happened to your finger?"

Kfamr
05-08-2006, 05:09 PM
This is why I have my dad mail stuff. :p We went our permit schtuff in today, too.

Sorry you got an ouchie! Did the patties work? ;) :p

My type, get some frozen peas!

Laura's Babies
05-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Owieeeeeee!

Cookiebaker
05-08-2006, 06:00 PM
This is why I have my dad mail stuff. :p We went our permit schtuff in today, too.

IMHO, that is the ONLY thing frozen peas are good for!!! :rolleyes:

Hope you feel better Liz, and stay safe 'til your guardian angel gets back!!!

sandragonfly
05-08-2006, 06:24 PM
oOoo! OUCH. >.<

I once dropped a T.V. on my mother toe.. *clears throat* .. :eek:

*kissing your thumb* ;) ;) hope you feel okay really soon! :(

k9krazee
05-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Ouch!!!! Hope it feels better soon!

IMHO, that is the ONLY thing frozen peas are good for!!! :rolleyes:

Annnd...I have to agree with that :D

lizbud
05-08-2006, 06:32 PM

The patties did help somewhat, but it still throbs. It was so surreal,
I felt the pain & looked to see my thumb in the closed car door. :eek:
Couldn't believe it myself. Hope it feels better tomorrow. I feel so dumb. :o

ps. You'd be surprised how often we use our thumbs & don't even think
about it. :)

Ginger's Mom
05-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Hmmm, maybe you can use this to your advantage. Take a picture of your thumb, and when you get to Findlay let everyone see what you had to go through to get there. It may be worth a few extra chocolate chip cookies. ;)

Sorry to hear about your thumb and your day. Hope everything is better tomorrow.

Kfamr
05-08-2006, 07:37 PM
ps. You'd be surprised how often we use our thumbs & don't even think
about it. :)

Oh trust me, I know! Working in food prep I burn myself often. You'd never know how useful your pinky or thumb is until you get a nasty burn on it and can't do anything properly! :eek:

As far as peas go, when "we" (us kids) were little and had friends over, they'd ask for a snack. We'd go inside and come out with a big bowl of frozen peas. We LOVED them and ate them as a snack almost daily. Our friends were grossed out and told us it wasn't a snack. :p You couldn't pay us to eat cooked peas, but frozen peas were like candy!

Now... no way would I think of even spending money on peas! :p

Karen
05-08-2006, 07:53 PM
I liked frozen peas, fresh peas and cooked ones, but every list I've ever made of things I hate has started with canned peas.

Is your thumb at least turning pretty colors, Liz?

gini
05-08-2006, 08:11 PM
My knees "went" fuzzy reading this thread.

I bet that hurt!!! :eek:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Ouchie!!!

Have you taken some aspirin or something? If it were me, and I didn't take anything, I know the throbbing would keep me awake all night.

Oh great.....now I hope you don't read this until tomorrow so just the suggestion of not being able to sleep keeps you awake!

Doh! I think I should just shut-up now.

Oh, one time when I was young, I got a slight burn on one of my fingers. We were "Up North" camping and didn't have any ice to put on it so when it started throbbing in the middle of the night, I got up and got a cold jam of jar out of the fridge and held onto that all night long. It worked. ;)

anna_66
05-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Oh gosh Liz that must have hurt something awful:eek: Hopefully your night is going much better than your afternoon did!
You could definitely pull the sympathy card with me...I'd give you all the cookies I had:D:p

You know my mom once (not that long ago) shut her finger in the car door and it was locked. She had to get her keys out of her purse and unlock the door...I'd say I don't know how she did it, but I guess she had to since no one else was round!

Kfamr
05-08-2006, 09:53 PM
.....cold jam of jar... ;)

Sorry, I'm easily amused tonight... hehehehe...

lizbud
05-09-2006, 09:58 AM
You know my mom once (not that long ago) shut her finger in the car door and it was locked. She had to get her keys out of her purse and unlock the door...I'd say I don't know how she did it, but I guess she had to since no one else was round!

OMG Anna, your poor mom. :eek: Guess I was lucky it wasn't locked
as I still had my purse (and keys) in the car. You know it doesn't look as bad today as I though it might. The nail still has a black spot on it & the thumb
is a little purple ish but not too bad. It won't hurt my driving. :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Sorry, I'm easily amused tonight... hehehehe...
Oops. heehee... :D

Barbara
05-09-2006, 10:56 AM
It hurts from just reading it :(

But I agree- as usual on PT the discussion goes away from the tragic to the fun ;)

ramanth
05-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Opposable thumbs.... a blessing and a curse.

Owwwiee! I sympathise. *hugs*

RICHARD
05-09-2006, 06:41 PM
ready?

I smashed my toe and the nail went black.

I went to the doctor and he brings out a box, while explaining that they USED to have a drill to drill thru the nail to release the blood that collects under the skin.

He places an alcohol lamp, a paper clip, a pair of hemostats (locking scissors/tweezers) and a pack of matches on the bed where I am sitting.

WTF???? :eek: :confused: :o

He bends the paperclip straight, puts it in the hemostats.
Puts that down and lights the lamp with the matches.
He heats the paperclip in the flame and assures me that the burning will not
hurt.. :confused:

I lay back and he puts the clip thru the nail...I see a wisp, and smell it a second later, of burning nail.....

Whew!
That didn't hurt one bit!! :D

He then takes my toe in his ands and squeezed the blood out the little hole.

The imprints of my hand are probably still imprinted on that Exam Table...

So it worse comes to worse...

Don't try this at home.....Let a professional hurt you! :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

Cincy'sMom
05-09-2006, 09:16 PM
OUCH!!
Isn't amazing how much we don't realize how much we use our didgits, until we injure one?

This winter, I jammed the middle finger of my left hand playing soccer. (I play goalie, using hands is allowed!) I didn't realize until the next day at work, how many letters on the keyboard I use my middle finger for!!!

anna_66
05-09-2006, 09:40 PM
You know it doesn't look as bad today as I though it might. The nail still has a black spot on it & the thumb
is a little purple ish but not too bad. It won't hurt my driving. :D
Glad to hear it looks better (hope it feels better too). Good thing it won't be hurting your driving:D

K9karen
05-09-2006, 11:27 PM
a paper cut on a pinky is torture. who wudda thunk?
pity party.. i miss my left arm! i love you stuck fingers, swollen knuckles! wiggle wiggle. :(

Daisy and Delilah
05-10-2006, 06:52 AM
Phew!! I hope you're getting some rest today. (((HUGS)))