PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Uppydate - EDIT: Added pics on page 2

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-08-2006, 04:15 PM
It seems to me that Peanut is getting more and more frail....sometimes. Other times she seems the picture of health and is such a goofy little girl. So, to calm my fears I took her to the vet on Saturday for her "almost a year followup" for the surgery on the tumor in her bladder and for some blood work.

The bad news is the tumor is back. At the 3 month checkup he could tell there was something there by abnormal cells in the urine sample, but he couldn't see anything on the ultrasound. The tumor is now visible again on the ultrasound. :(

The good news is that other than that, she is in excellent health for an old lady. ;) Her kidney function is reduced, but it's not any worse than it was at her last check up which I believe was last September, and it's not bad enough to require fluids or any type of intervention. Her thyroid levels are on the high side, but still in the normal range, again requiring no intervention. Most importantly, the white blood cell count was normal meaning the tumor isn't really causing too many problems yet.

We again discussed signs I will need to look for to tell me "when it's time" and I asked if he made house calls because I will not take Peanut to his office to have her PTS when the time comes. She gets too scared when I take her in, and I will not have her scared out of her wits during her last minutes on earth. He does not make house calls, but he recommended someone who does so I will be contacting her in the near future just to become familiar with her and let her become familiar with Peanut and her history so when the call comes, it's not totally out of the blue.

But other than that, Peanut is doing great. She seems to have her bad days where she's a little wobbly on her feet and she sleeps most of the time, but mostly she is her adorable, goofy little self, fending off CJ attacks, snuggling with her daddy, playing in her boxes and she even got a few excursions outside in the last week since the weather has been so nice. So the vet told me "Enjoy her while you can." and I intend to do just that. :)

Sorry, I know should have included a picture of my little sweetie, but Terry had the camera all last week so I don't have any new pics to share. But I will get some soon....hopefully. ;)

Laura's Babies
05-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Awwwwww! It breaks my heart that you even have to talk to anyone about helping her cross over but I know it is the wise thing to do before that time is here.. I hope she does well for a long, long time, she is such a pretty little thing and sooo sweet!

jazzcat
05-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Oh sweet Peanut. Reading this makes me so sad. I do understand how you feel because I feel like we are going through the same thing with Ripley. I'm trying to make the most of it but sometimes it is so hard to see them getting so frail.

I'm so sorry that the tumor is back. That certainly didn't take long. :( I am glad to hear that otherwise she is in great health. That will help take her a long way.

Lots of prayers and positive thoughts for Miss Peanut.

lizbud
05-08-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Peanut's tumor is back. I do hope she has many
healthy years to come. good to know she is not in pain . (((HUGS)))
to your sweet girl

Edwina's Secretary
05-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Not to worry...I have days when I am wobbly on my feet...

RedHedd
05-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Oh sweet Peanut. I'm so sorry to hear the tumor is back, but all her other test results are still within the normal range. It sounds like she's diong great for an old gal and that you're enjoying her while you can.

Catty1
05-08-2006, 06:53 PM
What a brave and loving thing to do.

How old is dear Peanut?

hugs
Catty1

AbbyMom
05-08-2006, 08:18 PM
We're all glad that Peanut still has her up days! Sorry that tumor is back. Here's positive thoughts sent her way for a shrinking tumor.

I've always been struck by her beauty.

Catty1...I think Peanut is 17.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Yes, Peanut is 17. She'll be 18 in September.

Thanks everyone. She is snuggling contentedly with her daddy right now. :D

ES - I know how you feel and that's actually what kept me from taking her to the vet earlier. ;) :rolleyes: :D

rg_girlca
05-08-2006, 10:20 PM
All in all, with the results of her blood tests and the white count, it sounds like Peanut is doing reasonably well. It's also good to know that the tumor is not causing too many problems right now and I pray that it doesn't for a very long time.

Looking forward to seeing new pictures. :)

slick
05-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Debbie:
When I first started reading this, I got LES big time. :( I'm so sorry the tumour is back. But then, I heard a whisper in my ear from Speckles that Peanut is going to be OK for now and the RB isn't ready for her yet. I'd like to say spoil her....but...well....how much more spoiled can that little girl be. ;) Please give her a kiss from Auntie Slick.

{{{hugs}}} to you my good friend. Just one more thing...

Where are the pictures???

Sonia59
05-09-2006, 03:22 AM
Oh dear sweet Peanut, I am glad you are doing so reasonably well :)

Thanks for the update, and yes...we wait for a few pictures of your precious sweetheart ! ;)

jenluckenbach
05-09-2006, 05:12 AM
It is actually good to know that everything else (except the tumor) is working so well. And the fact that the tumor does not seem to be causing trouble is also good. Kisses for Peanut.

Barbara
05-09-2006, 05:38 AM
I think Peanut is lucky in her old age- the signs are there but they are not aggressive in the moment- so she can enjoy live. I hope it will be like that for me too ;)

Headbumpies and nosekissies to her.

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-09-2006, 06:15 AM
I am so sorry that the tumor is back.... . Is there no possibility to operate it? I guess Peanut is to old for a long sedation... :(
Spoil that brat as much and as long as you can. He is sooooo gorgeous!!

catlover4ever
05-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Debbie thanks for the update on Peanut....she is such a sweetie.

I do know what you are going through with her as she is aging...gracefully I might add. You know Tucker is 21 and I think about her health and how she feels all the time. She does not handle vet visits well so Mark and I have agreed that we will take her only if it is absolutely necessary. Tuck's health has declined in hte last year. She is almost deaf and blind and she sleeps more than a typical cat would...so I worry about her all the time. I hope and pray that when it's her time to cross over that it is peaceful or at least that I know when it's time so I can help her....I don't want her to be in any pain.

You know if you ever need to talk....I'm just a PM away. (((hugs))) Meg

Killearn Kitties
05-09-2006, 07:58 AM
Peanut is still an adorable and happy girl. Long may that continue!

Craftlady
05-09-2006, 08:13 AM
So sorry to read that Peanuts tumor is back :(

Donnaj4962
05-09-2006, 08:38 AM
I am so sorry to read that Peanut's tumor has returned.... but it sounds as if she is doing well otherwise! My Tabitha is also 17, and will be 18 in June. So I understand what you are going through. I worry about her and her health also. But, like Peanut, she seems to have her good days and her bad days.

I was fortunate, many years ago, to have a vet that came to our house for my (now) ex-husband's cat Spooky. She died peacefully in her own home, and Tabitha and I and her Daddy were right there with her, talking to her. No stress for her. I know that I will do that again, when the time comes.

Keep us posted about little Peanut. She is so cute and fluffy! I always enjoy new pictures of her!

ramanth
05-09-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm sorry Peanut's tumor is back. :(

But happy to hear she's otherwise her usual spunky self. She outta boot CJ out of those nice sun spots and just lounge the day away. :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-09-2006, 09:38 AM
I am so sorry that the tumor is back.... . Is there no possibility to operate it?
Lut, she had surgery on it last year when the tumor first appeared. At that time, the vet took about 1/2 her bladder to make sure he "got it all." So seeing as she only has 1/2 a bladder left (even though it may have stretched since the surgery), and seeing how absolutely terrified she is at the vets now after her last surgery, and seeing that she is now almost a year older than she was then, I wouldn't put her through that again, especially knowing that there would still be a chance the tumor would grow back again.

She was actingy goofy again this morning, chasing one of her little Canadian Catnip balls through the living room. And last night when it was bedtime, CJ starts being goofy and tearing through the house (a nightly ritual for CJ at bedtime :D ) and Peanut jumped off the bed to go partake of the fun. :D For the time being she is happy, painfree and has good input and output, so we will just continue on in life and when she lets me know it's time.....

Meg, I knew Tucker was getting old, but I didn't realize she had declined so much in the last year. :( Like you, I hope and pray she has a peaceful crossing to the RB when the time comes.

Ok, ok, I didn't have a chance to take pics last night, so I'll put some old ones up that you may not have seen for awhile, and I'll try my best to get some new pics ASAP.

Rubbing on her catnip mousie.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid164/p9de1366bbb6cea9f0424c23a0521bc48/f4778ec8.jpg

Hanging out in her most favorite spot - her little bed.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid167/p289d15c370a9dc0ea7c2491f455acdad/f443a572.jpg

Showing off her fashionable Ugg boots after her surgery last year.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid176/paa4324a0ed46c3f0743116b8c3b6f648/f35aaa3f.jpg

Sitting on her front porch, waiting for visitors.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid192/pd0dd604d59469bb37983ea8ef84db126/f1a7e4b5.jpg

Checking out the action in the motorhome.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid198/p8693f3677ae36374d7149be53e41afed/f0d2528a.jpg

And finally, the most recent pic of her on the back of the couch - her second favorite place.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid202/peb1fe97bda42c4204cf9c8ec8ae59df5/efbcc136.jpg

slick
05-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Oh Debbie, my heart just melts when I look at that pretty Princess. Please give her some squishies from me...if she'll let you. ;) :D

Logan
05-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Debbie, I am so sorry to read that Peanut's tumor has returned. But aren't we lucky to have our senior girls hanging in there with us for so long? I was amazed to realize that Tucker is 21 years old! Wow!!!!

Mimi will turn 17 in June. I will make no heroic efforts on her behalf as I think, like Peanut, she would be stressed beyond measure and I am not willing to put her through it. Thank goodness, she seems to be doing just fine, right now. She eats, she cuddles, she sleeps (a lot). The only noticable thing is that she can't jump as well, but she still loves to snuggle up beside a Golden Retriever (they are all so sweet with her) or on us. I think she does it to get warm. She purrs and purrs and lets us know that she is ok. What else could I ask for? I even fussed at her (just a little bit) because she was digging in my newly planted flower bed (full of seeds and new sprouts) and she promptly left that spot and did her potty in another part of the yard. Her hearing is excellent as is her eyesight.

What a gift we have been given to have these ladies with us in their senior years! Hugs to you and Peanut. And tell CJ, just like I tell Butter, to lay off and leave Peanut alone!

Logan

Laura's Babies
05-09-2006, 10:29 AM
She is such a lovely little girl, it warms the heart just to look at her picture!

Kirsten
05-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Debbie, I'm so very sorry to read that Peanut's tumor is back! :( What a sad thing to discuss her last moments on Earth with your vet! I hope this moment is still far away, and that you will spend many many moments of joy with your sweet Peatnut until it is time...

Looks like she doesn't plan to leave you too soon! She's a strong little fighter, and she's sooo beautiful!!!

Best wishes to you, sweet Peanut!!!

Kirsten

CultureJunky
05-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Debbie, I am sad to hear that the tumor is back, but I am sure that Peanut will live a full life and be utterly loved and showered with cuddles and kisses from you. She has lived a good life with such a caring owner, and I am sure that she knows this. Fingers crossed she will be here for some time to come.

catnapper
05-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Debbie, I am so sad to hear this news. I am glad to hear that she si in good shape otherwise. She's a beautiful "old lady" and I know she's in the best hands possible

Sonia59
05-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Oh thanks for the pics! It's always a pleasure to see such a beauty! :) You are very lucky sharing your life with Peanut and she is very lucky having you! She is a happy cat!

LoudLou
05-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the uppydate on the Princess Peanut. Sorry to hear about the tumor, but glad to hear she's still a Princess.

We love you Princess Peanut!!!

momoffuzzyfaces
05-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Aw, sweet Peanut!!! I'm so sorry to hear this news but glad you are still enjoying life.

My Leonardo turns 16 in August. I've been dreading his aging for years. I make sure we get lots of cuddle time everyday and tell him I love him every chance I get. How can we bear to let them go? :(

rg_girlca
05-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Oh gosh, Peanut is such a pretty girl. That picture of her sitting on the porch waiting for visitors just cracks me up. Too darn cute.

Loved all the pictures. :D

K & L
05-13-2006, 08:19 AM
Oh I just love this girl. Debbie I know what you mean about not wanting to put them through the terrors of the vet. That's how we felt with Blaze. Of course it was necessary this time. She looks as adorable as ever. I will try and watch for updates on her. Give her hugs and kisses for me!

Catty1
05-13-2006, 08:23 AM
Beautiful Peanut!

Hugs and belly rubs and scritchies to her!

She is a lovely girl - I just melt to look at her lying down, almost-closed eyes facing the camera!

I hope you will enjoy each other's company for a long time to come!

hugs
Catty1

catmandu
05-13-2006, 09:59 AM
The Pet Angels ahve put Tucker and Peanuts on thier Visit List and will bring them Mnadarin Kitty Bags as they love Both Older Lady Cats.
I dread that too as Michael and The Pricess are not getting any younger sadly.

orangemm
05-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Pretty little Peanut! What a lovely girl you are (yes, you are still a 'girl'!) and I hope you have a very long time to keep your meowmie company.

To Peanut's Meowmie...

She is such a pretty thing, such a sweet face. I hope she does well for many years to come. Sounds like Peanut is is pretty good shape, except for that nasty tumor. I have to agree with you, why stress her any more than necessary? The happier and more relaxed she is, the better she will do.

Keep us posted. You all are in our thoughts.

(hugs)

lisalee
05-13-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm very sorry to hear that Peanut's tumor has returned. She seems in very good spirits though and like she's enjoying life still. I'm wishing her all the best and hopefully she has much more time to spend with you.

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-15-2006, 06:39 AM
awwww

Peanut i love you!!! You are just the prettiest kitty ever!! I loooove the picture of you sittin on your porch!! *kisses* and *hugs* for you pretty lady.. you don't look a day over 5!!

Debbie... i'm sorry to hear Peanut's tumor is coming back. Reading this brought tears to my eyes!! She is such a lucky kitty though.. and I wouldn't be surprised if she has many more years to come!!

zippy-kat
05-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Sweet Peanut, I'm so happy to hear you're still "feeling your oats" and giving that CJ a run for his money. You've definitely stolen some hearts here at pet talk and we wish you nothing but full health.

Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear the tumor has made a comeback but so very glad to hear she still eats and plays. My positive thoughts and prayers are with you!

Miss Meow
05-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Debbie, sending lots of healing thoughts to dear Peanut. A small ray of light is that her other vital signs are good and she's happy. I hope she stays comfortable and healthy for a long time yet {{{hugs}}}.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks again everyone. Peanut was going goofy over one of the Canadian Catnip balls again this morning. :D I swear she plays more these days than she did when she was a kitten! Must be the CJ influence. :D

Vermontcat
05-16-2006, 09:01 PM
It's nice to see an update on Peanut and some cute photos of her too! :)
I'm sorry to hear that her tumor is back again, I hope she is with you for many more years.
Samantha will be 18 next month and she is doing just fine. I just love these sweet little old lady cats of ours. ;)