PDA

View Full Version : Miniature Horse Questions!

HollandLoppy89
05-08-2006, 03:37 PM
We have been thinking about getting our first miniature horse. We live on 2 acres and I read that at least a half acre is fine if they have a source of shelter and a pasture for them to get out into. Do you need a big barn for a miniature horse or can it have a lean-to to stay in during the day & at night? How small is a barn allowed to be for a mini to be comfortable? I am excited but we need to know information about where to keep them and what's best for them. I have tons of experience with horses. I've been riding for 4 years and I have been around them for most of my life. I do not have a horse but am leasing a horse this summer. The backyard and front yard has wonderful, green grass but during the winter it can get cold & snow inches to afoot varying on the years. Is it hard to find tack for miniatures? Help is very welcome!
:D

dab_20
05-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Mini's are basically a horse in a small body! A lean-to is just fine for a mini. I'm sure most barns would be plenty big enough for a mini. As long as it has a pasture to run around then the barn doesn't have to be really big. I'm not sure about tack, but I know it's really easy to find halters for minis. And if you want to teach them to drive (I'm doing that with my pony) then you can go to a tack store and you will probably find what you're looking for! Good Luck! :)

critter crazy
05-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Mini's are basically a horse in a small body! A lean-to is just fine for a mini. I'm sure most barns would be plenty big enough for a mini. As long as it has a pasture to run around then the barn doesn't have to be really big. I'm not sure about tack, but I know it's really easy to find halters for minis. And if you want to teach them to drive (I'm doing that with my pony) then you can go to a tack store and you will probably find what you're looking for! Good Luck! :)

I agree. I have never had a mini but, i do have three horses. I have a huge barn, but they would prefer to be outside all the time. Even during the winter. as long as the horse has plentyof pasture and a shelter to go into when it wants it should be just fine. you can find lots of mini tack on e-bay, as well as many tack stores. Good luck with your mini!