PDA

View Full Version : Thumper, the humper

Lizzie
05-08-2006, 06:11 AM
Yes, I know it sounds crude but that was the way he was known at the shelter. When I adopted Thumper, 3-4 weeks ago, they told me that he tended to hump objects and other cats even though he'd been neutered about five years before, when he was a kitten. Until the middle of last week, Thumper did not live up to his soubriquet and I thought the change in environment had changed his behavior. In fact, I thought the shelter people had exagerated, or were remembering past behavior.

Most of the covers and throws I put over my furniture and bed are comforters or polarfleece, but I have a few that are fake fur and I tossed one on the sofa last week. Less than an hour later, I came back into the room to find Thumper gripping a corner of the throw in his teeth, straddling it and going through the motions. I have seen a few of my male cats straddling a female (all spayed and neutered), and a few males and females that liked to bite on the scruff of another cat, but I've never seen this behavior with a blanket before. Is it common? Have others on PT seen their cats behave this way? Is there a reason for the behavior?

jenluckenbach
05-08-2006, 07:49 AM
I have no idea what causes this nor do I know if it is common.......but believe it or not, MY (RB) cat Thumper did the exact same thing! :eek: Could his spirit have returned to the Earth??

Laura's Babies
05-08-2006, 07:51 AM
No experience here but congrats on the new kitty!

barncat
05-08-2006, 08:03 AM
My cat Nusence had a passionate relationship with a green plush bathrobe (until the day he died of old age if he found a way to get the robe, he "got" the robe.) One of my females had the same relationship with my father's laundry (It finally got him not to leave dirty clothes on the floor...especially once she finshed loving them, she chewed them...)

Lizzie
05-08-2006, 11:26 AM
I think you'd better tell me what other "odd" habits your Thumper had so that I can check them off against my Thumper.

One thing I am relieved about is that this behavior doesn't appear to have anything to do with territory or male dominance. Far from being a sprayer, Thumper once led me to 3 places where Tom had sprayed when he managed to climb up onto the top deck and get in the living room. I told Thumper that day that he'd more than earned his $35 adoption fee (it's a reduced rate for FIV+ cats) and I've told him often that he's very special.

I have no idea what causes this nor do I know if it is common.......but believe it or not, MY (RB) cat Thumper did the exact same thing! :eek: Could his spirit have returned to the Earth??

RedHedd
05-08-2006, 12:19 PM
It's quite common. My vet says it may be because my Mishi was neutered after having had "experience." He has his "girlfriend," Muffy the teddy bear that he humps regularly. I just laugh, sometimes take pictures for PT (see the Purrno thread) and call him my goofy guy. I often ask if he needs to be be left alone, my silly, amorous, oh-so-horny boy. :D There are other kitties here on PT who do the same thing, so you're not alone.

Sevaede
05-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Ah, my Soni does the same thing. I concur with RedHedds statement. Maybe it is attributable to past experience. Our other kitty is not fond of his "studliness". :o

catmandu
05-08-2006, 03:45 PM
It Must Be Instinct.
Moose Will Try To Climb Behind John Hancock, Once In A While.
They Must Have Seen Brokeback Mountain.