PDA

View Full Version : Feeding time!

Genia
02-08-2001, 10:31 PM
How can I stop Jeffrey from eating Bandit's food? Bandit's a nibbler. Jeffrey will eat everything in sight. Neither is over or underweight, but I am concerned. Jeffrey gobbles his quickly. As soon as Bandit leaves his bowl, Jeffrey will go back into the kitchen and finish Bandit's. Bandit will go back later and just lick the bowl. Of course I have to give him more. I don't want either to have weight problems. Right now Jeffrey's weight is normal and Bandit is normal but on the minimum weight side. I can't stand by and watch their bowls. They had checkups in December and I am feeding Jeffrey the right amount according to the vet so he's not hungry when he eats Bandit's food. Any suggestions on how to stop Jeffrey?

Angels3
02-09-2001, 02:56 AM
Genia, I don't know helpful this is...but I feed all our animals separately for the kinds of reasons you give. One sheltie's dish of food is given to her inside the laundry (door closed). The other sheltie eats on the other side of that door. Our little tibetan spaniel has her food up on an enclosed deck area. So none of them get released from her eating place until all 3 are finished. There's no problem organizing it...first dish goes up to the tib on the deck & I close the door after me. Next dish to sheltie in laundry, & close door. Then last dish to sheltie no 2.

Genia
02-09-2001, 12:48 PM
Angels3, I thought about that, but Bandit will eat a little, go lie down, eat a little more, watch TV, eat a little more, etc. If I were to enclose him in a room until he finished, he would be there for hours. One of those automatic feeder things would be great for him, but Jeffrey would end up obese. No matter how I separate them, if Bandit walks away from his bowl, Jeff runs right to it.

Pam
02-09-2001, 02:22 PM
I have this problem with my cats. Andy is a nibbler and takes all day to eat. Occasionally I given them canned food and when I do that I have to sit there and MONITOR their eating, making sure Andy gets a fair share otherwise Trevor would eat both portions. During the day, dry food is left out and they both nibble but I know that Trevor gets the lion's share.

When I had my dogs, sometimes I did separate them......feeding one in the kitchen and one in the powder room. That seemed to work really well. I found that they both ate slower which was better for their digestion, I am sure. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif Somehow they always felt rushed because of being afraid the other one would finish first and then eat the their food.

One thing in your case, Genia, is that your little pug, Bandit, will be able to stay fit and trim. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif As you know, I have been reading about pugs and notice that they have a tendency to add a pound or two, if you know what I mean, when they are left to their own devices! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

It is truly something that has bothered me with the cats, but I have come to think over time that Andy is healthy so that is all that really matters. Trevor, on the other hand, could do a Weight Watchers ad (being the "before" kitty in the ad! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif)

jackiesdaisy1935
02-09-2001, 02:52 PM
Genia, I have the same problem with Perry and Daisy. I know you said you can't stand and watch them eat, that's what we have to do. Perry would eat everything in sight.
Daisy is a very picky eater, she will do everything scratch, look into the kennels, smell everything but eat. I found when she gets really picky, I got some good canned food from the Vet and she will gobble that down as quickly as Perry, after a couple of days I go back to her regular food and she does o.k. again.

Angels3
02-09-2001, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Genia:
Angels3, I thought about that, but Bandit will eat a little, go lie down, eat a little more, watch TV, eat a little more, etc. If I were to enclose him in a room until he finished, he would be there for hours.

Genia, I agree with this point you've made because it was the same with 1 of our shelties, too. So, that's the dog that gets fed in the small downstairs laundry where there are no distractions & where the door is closed. ( Otherwise, that sheltie...like Bandit...would turn having dinner into a moveable feast.) I would check on that sheltie & when she finished her food, only then would I say,'Good girl' & let her out...to where all the interesting, distracting things were. I've found that this sheltie now eats her dinner more quickly & in one go...because she's learned that behavior gets her out of the laundry. She still is slower than the other 2 but it has improved the situation a little. Oh yes, I also divided the dogs' main meal into 2 smaller meals rather than 1 big meal. That way, sheltie 1 was far more likely to finish a meal & in reasonable time. Hope something helps, Genia, because this problem drove me crazy,too. I've modified it, rather than completely solved it.

Genia
02-09-2001, 10:27 PM
Angels3, The 2 smaller meals instead of one big one is a good idea. I think I'll try that. Thanks! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

RachelJ
02-10-2001, 07:36 AM
What kind of food are you feeding? Is it all dry kibble? If it is, adding just a little warm water might make it more palatable which would encourage consumption. Bandit may be a picky eater.

carrie
02-10-2001, 11:31 AM
The ideas about splitting the meals and seperating the dogs are both really worth a try. Some will respond to an area with fewer distractions well but others will just fret and ignore the food even more. You could try organised group feeding - I have used this many times with success (and many times with none, I have to say!) Get both dogs to sit while you put the food down, far enough from each other so that you can stand between them. On a signal (I use a whistle as this also encourages a good recall as the association with food is built up) the dogs begin to eat. When each finishes they are made to sit agin and must wait. You may find your slower dog will eat more when the pressure of the more dominant animal is taken away. (You may have to practice the sit until the signal for a few days first)

If this is not a viable option try splitting the faster dog's meal into two portions and the slower into three or possibly four. Feed the extra ones to the slower dog in another room. You can be sure they are both getting the appropriate amount and are reducing the amount the slower one has to face at each meal. This will also stimulate the dog's appetite and you may notice the need for smaller meals reducing over time.
I would also lift any food still remaining fifteen minutes after feeding - this will encourage the dog to eat a little quicker.
I hope this helps.

nursie
02-24-2001, 09:21 PM
I have 2 boxers, a 6 yr old mom, Kira, and her 4 yr old son Duke, which is twice her size. I keep their food out all the time, I don't want them gulping and risking bloat. I keep dry food in 2 bowls...have to have 2. Kira will see Duke eating, and chase him away from the bowl...and he just goes over to the one she just left and starts eating. They switch bowls 2-3 times while eating. The thing is..you have to have some food in both bowls all the time. They will flip over the empty bowl (not small bowls either) if one is empty. Duke is usually the one to do this, with a look on his face as if to say "You know the rules".

carrie
02-25-2001, 08:59 AM
Nursie, you are very lucky to have two dogs with the temperament to be able to give both free access to food. I used to have a German Shepherd that had to have free access as she was a picker but I couldn't have had another dog anywhere near her when her food was down. For most dogs this is a sure fire way to make them grossly overweight and encourage fighting, so please be very careful if you decide to try this solution.