PDA

View Full Version : grooming a cat

lute
05-07-2006, 07:37 PM
my cousin recently adopted a 9-10 month old long haired cat. from what i hear he's got matted hair to the skin. he was raised in a garage and didn't have much contact with humans.

my cousin is bringing him to my house next sunday for me to groom him. does anyone have any tips for grooming such a matted cat?

Laura's Babies
05-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Actually, he may need to see a groomer if his mats are REALLY bad and to the skin. She needs to get him in to see a vet FIRST and see what the vet thinks. Mats can cause cats REAL problems. PLEASE tell her to get him in to see a vet FIRST... If he is not use to being groomed, he may need to be put under to get the job done and done right!

lute
05-07-2006, 08:13 PM
i told her he needs to get to the vet, but she is in college, recently married, working 3 jobs. she can't afford it. :( i'm gonna look at him and i'm going to the vet next friday anyway for the kids' rabies shots. i might take him with me if i can afford it and my dogs at the same time.

catmandu
05-07-2006, 08:32 PM
A Groomer is the only one that can help a Cat thats that badly matted.
Then you can start from Ground Zero,so to speak.
Good Luck with that Cat.

Catty1
05-07-2006, 08:46 PM
If the hair is that bad....shave and let it grow out, and groom as it grows.
A vet can do that...depending on the cat's temperament, a groomer can too.

Good luck!

Catty1

Muddy4paws
05-08-2006, 06:04 AM
If the cat is badly matted to the skin you WILL need to sort out the problem because it stops the cat from grooming itself and it will just prolong the pain and the problems for the groomers or vet, I know if the matts are too close the the skin we dont even attempt it at my groomers because cats skin is so easy to nick with clippers especially when the cat doesn't want it done!

Maybe you can phone around groomers or vets and asked to be quoted a price?

I think the best thing would be to shave it all off, the cat may looks silly but then they can start again with a nice fresh coat as Catmandu said.

I just re-read your post again, I dont know about prices out there but prices at groomers are ALOT cheaper than what it would cost at a vets so maybe just see if a groomer can have a go and have the trip to the vet as a last resort?

KitCat
05-08-2006, 10:14 AM
I groom my cat but he has short hair. I used to have very long hair myself and if it was very tangled, I would wash it and use conditioner instead of brushing first. If you try to brush it out dry it will probably be uncomfortable and the cat won't be as cooperative. So my advice is put the cat in a confined area, then wash and condition first then use a wide toothed comb to get out the mats. You could even use the comb with the conditioner still on him for the best result. I pour warm water on the cat with a jug because the shower sound scares him. When I'm done, I wrap him up in a towel and give him sympathy for offending his dignity. They usually meow and complain but cats secretly love being all clean and fluffy.

Muddy4paws
05-08-2006, 03:16 PM
I groom my cat but he has short hair. I used to have very long hair myself and if it was very tangled, I would wash it and use conditioner instead of brushing first. If you try to brush it out dry it will probably be uncomfortable and the cat won't be as cooperative. So my advice is put the cat in a confined area, then wash and condition first then use a wide toothed comb to get out the mats. You could even use the comb with the conditioner still on him for the best result. I pour warm water on the cat with a jug because the shower sound scares him. When I'm done, I wrap him up in a towel and give him sympathy for offending his dignity. They usually meow and complain but cats secretly love being all clean and fluffy.

Sorry, but I would seriously disagree with bathing a cat with matts close to the skin. if the cat is in that bad of an condition it needs the matts taken off so that the shampoo isnt impossible to get out of the coat, no matter how much you try and brush out the matts it will be excusuating pain 4 the cat and too much of an ordeal, if the matts are that close to the skin pulling at the with any type of brush or comb will just end up tearing the skin.

BitsyNaceyDog
05-08-2006, 03:39 PM
I too agree that a professional groomer or a vet needs to shave the cat down. Cats have very thin skin and someone without cat grooming experience shouldn't attempt it.

I also wouldn't bathe the cat. A bath will cause the mats to be even tighter than they already are. A conditioner will do nothing when the mats are bad. Conditioner works well on tangles and sometimes small mats, but usually bathing makes mats worse.

Do you have a low cost vet clinic near you? Usually humane society's have low cost vet care and check-ups. That would probably the best place to start. They could probably shave him there. I know groomers are expensive when it comes to cats.

jenluckenbach
05-08-2006, 04:05 PM
PLEASE! The cost of professionally grooming a cat will be less than the vet bills incurred after the cat's delicate skin is cut and needs attention. Mats pull the skin up away from the body making you believe that you are only cutting hair when indeed you end up cutting skin. As a groomer I have SEEN this after a home job. And as a groomer who KNOWS what she is doing, small nicks STILL occur upon occasion. but the difference is my nicks are small, the owner's nicks are gashes. :eek:

If your cousin adopted this cat believing that she can properly care for her, then this grooming is part of that responsibility as much as food, water, shelter and vet care.