PDA

View Full Version : Thank goodness for baby car seats!

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Let me start by saying that Cali, and everyone else is FINE. (I think I am still in shock though).

On Thursday we were driving in heavy traffic at around 65 MPH on the freeway. (I was driving, Warren was in the passenger seat, Cali and Cameron were in the back seat).

All of a sudden the traffic in front of me braked, so I slammed on brakes too. Thanks in large part to my SUV having ABS, I managed to stop without too much difficulty, but the SUV behind me didn't realise that the traffic had stopped and ploughed straight into me, pushing me into the car in front. I immediately got out and ran around to the passenger side, as this is where Cali's seat is, and she was screaming her little head off! Warren had to force her door open, as the back of the car is so badly damaged the back doors no longer open properly! Thank God Cali was fine - she just got a big fright.

The guy who hit me was driving a brand new (as in 9 days old) RANGE ROVER - those things are like army tanks, and his car has hardly any damage. My towbar prevented major cosmetic damage at the back - ie no broken windows etc, but the back seats are actually sitting about 4 inches out of alignment - and the whole floorpan at the back is bent.

Also the front of the car - where I went into the car in front - is a mess. My bullbars are right into the radiator, and the hood can't open. (The guy in front of me fled the scene - he was probably driving without a licence or something, as MY insurance would pay for his damage so I can't think why he ran away????)

My car is in for an assessment - I am hoping the insurance company writes it off, as I really don't want to drive it again after such a bad accident. I was looking today at either the Dodge Durango or the Nissan Armada as a replacement - my next SUV is going to be a HUGE one in case this happens again.

I can honestly say that if we were not all wearing seat belts, and Cali was not in a properly installed rear-facing car chair, the outcome would have been very different.

Every time I look at her I just cry, I am still in such a state of shock, and trying not to think about what COULD have happened.

Randi
05-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Oh Julie, what a shock! :eek: I'm so glad you're all safe! Whew!! Seat belts have saved many, I'm sure.

Now, have a drink and try not to think about what could have happened.

Hopefully the insurance will deal with it the way you want.

((((hugs)))))

GoldenLuv
05-07-2006, 02:17 PM
oh no sry to hear that and glad you all are ok

and i bet ya next time you will make sure that she is seat belted in correctly

critter crazy
05-07-2006, 02:39 PM
oh no sry to hear that and glad you all are ok

and i bet ya next time you will make sure that she is seat belted in correctly

I think what she was saying was what could have happened had they not been belted properly!

I am so glad everyone is okay!! It is such a scary thing to happen, my husband got into an accident when my son was only 1, and thank god he was in his seat properly as well, because you just never know!!!

Barbara
05-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Oh Julie! What a shock! I am so glad you all were belted correctly and nothing happened- all the rest is only tin.

Hope you come over it soon.

Laura's Babies
05-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Thank God that had a happy ending.... Check out the leg room in the Durango..I think my daughter and hubby looked at one and I think that was the one they scratched off their list because it was so cramped in the back seat when it came to leg room.

GoldenLuv
05-07-2006, 04:02 PM
I think what she was saying was what could have happened had they not been belted properly!

I am so glad everyone is okay!! It is such a scary thing to happen, my husband got into an accident when my son was only 1, and thank god he was in his seat properly as well, because you just never know!!!

here is her comment

I can honestly say that is we were not all wearing seat belts, and Cali was not in a properly installed rear-facing car chair, the outcome would have been very different.

Karen
05-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Thank goodness everyone is okay!

Isn't it amazing that so many of us lived to grow up before carseats for babies were invented?

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-07-2006, 04:06 PM
here is her comment

I can honestly say that is we were not all wearing seat belts, and Cali was not in a properly installed rear-facing car chair, the outcome would have been very different.

I meant to type IF - not IS.......believe me my car does not leave my driveway without everyone correctly buckled up!! (Thank goodness!!!) ;)

sirrahbed
05-07-2006, 06:14 PM
How scary!! I read the title of the post and felt my heart go to my throat :eek:

Thankfully everyone was safe - but OH MY what a fright that must have been Glad all of you are just fine, Julie.

buttercup132
05-07-2006, 07:37 PM
:eek: OMG I'm glad everyone is ok!!!

Alysser
05-07-2006, 08:01 PM
OMG! :eek: Im glad everyone is ok! Sounds like a pretty bad accident. I hope in never happens agian.

prechrswife
05-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Goodness, Julie! How scary! I am so glad that all of you are okay.

ramanth
05-08-2006, 08:38 AM
How terrifying! I'm glad everyone is okay. *hugs*

Cataholic
05-08-2006, 09:58 AM
I have tears in my eyes! How scary for you all, Julie. How very scary.

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-08-2006, 10:22 AM
OMG Julie, what a nasty experience :eek:
Thank goodness that you were all buckled in properly; but you sure all have great guardian angels!!! I hope you won't be scared to drive now; it is alwys best to hit the road again asap!

Lots of hugs to all of you, and a very gentle kiss on Cali's little cheeks!!