PDA

View Full Version : Donating hair??

k9krazee
05-06-2006, 06:46 PM
My cousin Katrina is going to cut and donate her hair in about two weeks. She has NEVER cut her hair in her ENTIRE life (well, besides trimming, and 16, almost 17 years old), and its about mid thigh length :eek: Sge's talking about getting it cut to shoulder length or so.

She intends to donate her hair, and I've heard stories of Locks of Love selling hair or something :confused: She really wanted to donate to them but she isn't sure anymore and is open to other options.

This is where you come in, I am totally clueless about all of this, and I'd like to have your input! What other organizations are out there??

Thanks! :D

chocolatepuppy
05-06-2006, 06:56 PM
If I remember right Locks of Love will sell hair IF you donate hair that is not long enough. Then they use the money to make the wigs for the children.

Karen
05-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Her hair would be perfect for Locks of Love, as to make a wig, the hair ends up folded in half, basically, so for a girl to get a long-haired wig, they need REALLY long hair.

I do not know of what other organizations accept donations of hair, she might call the oncology department of her local hospital to know if they are aware of any local organizations that do so ...

Alysser
05-06-2006, 06:58 PM
If I remember right Locks of Love will sell hair IF you donate hair that is not long enough. Then they use the money to make the wigs for the children.

They not only make wigs for children but people going through Kemo therapy. You loss all or most of your hair and they make wigs for people. IMO, it's a truley wonderful organization and if I could I would contribute but my hair isn't long enough. The people are very grateful who get the wigs.

chocolatepuppy
05-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Just googled , here is what they say about shorter hair...

# Hair that is short, gray, or unsuitable for children will be separated from the ponytails and sold at fair market value to offset the cost of manufacturing.

chocolatepuppy
05-06-2006, 07:03 PM
They not only make wigs for children but people going through Kemo therapy.

It says on their website, for children 18 and younger, suffering from any medical long term hair loss.

zoomer
05-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Locks Of Love is an organization that takes hair and gives it in wigs to kids who lost their hair in some kind of disease or cancer. I donated 12 inches about a year ago.

smokey the elder
05-07-2006, 07:45 AM
Locks of Love is legit. I know someone in my rescue who just donated hair. I think that's awesome to do.