PDA

View Full Version : A taste of Freedom

catnapper
05-05-2006, 11:15 PM
We were outside tonight when the neighbor's dogs came running up to us. Nicki saw them and opened the door herself to come say hi to her friends. A few minutes later, I looked over and saw the backdoor open. Allen was about to scoot outside, and a quick peek inside showed Abby, Harry, and Flutter. I assumed Pouncer was elsewhere since he typically hides in the mudroom when the door is open (because he fears the great outdoors).

An hour passed while Ash and I went out for a little while. We pulled into the driveway and saw glowing eyes sitting on the side of the house. I KNEW it was Pouncer. Yup, sitting there, waiting patiently was my big scaredy cat! :eek: Hew ran from me when I approached to pick him up. Ash RAN into the house for treats but before she got back outside he RAN inside. Then he demanded food :rolleyes: My big brave boy had a hard night out hunting chipmunks and groundhogs. He worked up an appetite.

I have no idea why he scooted outside -- he's AFRAID whenever I open the door. He ALWAYS hides behind it when its open. I'm glad nothing happened to him and that he had enough sense to remain right by the house. his better have been a fluke because I will drive myself nuts counting tails before bed again -- I had FINALLY stopped doing that last year. It was becoming obsessive complusive for me, and I like being able ot lay in bed without having to get up a dozen times to count the same 5 tails over and over again. Pouncer better not have any more interest in freedom!

PS: Speaking of Ash.... her being home the past month or so has really made a difference with her and the cats. She's completely bonded to Flutter and even gave Allen a bath this afternoon (the boy need it!) I never thought I'd see the day where someone else here cooed at the cats and smothered them in a hundred kisses :)

moosmom
05-06-2006, 02:14 AM
Kim,

Speaking of Ash.... her being home the past month or so has really made a difference with her and the cats. She's completely bonded to Flutter and even gave Allen a bath this afternoon (the boy need it!) I never thought I'd see the day where someone else here cooed at the cats and smothered them in a hundred kisses

Ah, the power of hormones!! ;) It's that ole motherly instinct kicking in. Just remember, when she brings the baby home, have someone else, not so close to the cats (say her bf or something?) carry the baby in and have her goo-goo over them. This way they won't feel left out and harmony will remain.

jenluckenbach
05-06-2006, 05:09 AM
I would have complete and utter heart failure if one of my cats ended up outside. :eek: NAW-TEE Pouncer!!

Grace
05-06-2006, 07:11 AM
Just remember, when she brings the baby home, have someone else, not so close to the cats (say her bf or something?) carry the baby in and have her goo-goo over them. This way they won't feel left out and harmony will remain.

One other suggestion - bring home a shirt or blanket worn by the baby. Put it on the floor where all the cats can get a whiff of it. Then they will be familiar with her/his smell from the beginning.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Peanut and CJ are not afraid of the outside, but they are not a door dashers either. However, if the door is left open, they will end up outside, their curiosity just gets the best of them. So possibly what happened was the door was open for a little bit from Nicki, and Pouncer snuck out before you noticed the door was open. Then once outside, he may have hidden in some bushes or something so you didn't see him. This is one of my greatest fears with P & CJ because I don't think either one of them would know enough to take good care of themselves out there. Good thing Pouncer knew enough to stay close by and knew where the door was to come back in.

Naw-tee Pouncer is right! :eek:

ChrisH
05-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Scary! Glad Pouncer had the sense to stay near home.

Ebby's not a door dasher but I wouldn't trust her with an open door either, cats are so sneaky aren't they?

*JTM*Coco*pi*Caramel*
05-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Ahh Pouncer went on a little roam outside! Nawtee for sure! Thank goodness he had the sense to stay close though, what a smart boy!

That's great to hear that Ashley is bonding with the cats, her motherly instinct is coming out for sure :)

Laura's Babies
05-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Now that he knows what a BIG scarey world that is out there, he will not try that again!

I never will forget the time Giz knocked that screen out when she lunged at that bug and she fell outside and ran streight to the front door and screamed until I let her back in!

rg_girlca
05-06-2006, 03:17 PM
POUNCER!!!!!!! NAWTEE!!!!!! NAWTEE!!!!!!!!

Oh perish the thought of what could have happened to him. Thank goodness his NAWTEE self had the brains to stay close to home.

That must have been one heck of a shocker for you Kim, when you realized it was your Pouncer. :eek:

Pouncer, I hope you have learned your lesson and had the you know what scared out of you, to NOT run out like that again.

I'm happy to hear that Ash is starting to bond with the cats. AHHHH yes, those hormones will do it everytime. LOL!!!!

You got some very good advice on what to do before and when the baby comes home. :D
I also brought the blanket that my firstborn was in, home for my cat to get accustom to the smell. Mind you, when I had my babies, we stayed in the hospital for about 4-5 days. Now, you're lucky if they keep you for 2 days. :rolleyes:

catmandu
05-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Miquelito slipped out Today only to come face to face with Catzilla.
He turned and ran back in.
Smart Cat!