PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what my problem is with them....

Flatcoatluver
05-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Ever since I was a little girl I have been deathly afraid of snakes. But just recently it has been getting worse and worse. Last year I would completely avoid going out in the summer, I was so scared of running into just a gardener snake. But now it’s getting worse were I can’t even look at pictures without crying my eyes out and I skip class a lot because my teacher has a snake in the class. If I even go to class I shake and try to look like I am not crying. I know we all have are fears, but is it still a normal fear or is it something I need to try and get help??

Catty1
05-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Sweetie...if just looking at a picture makes you cry your eyes out, maybe there is something else going on...especially if your fear is keeping you from going outside.

Is there a counsellor at your school that you could talk to for a few sessions? Maybe that is all you need.

See about help now so this fear doesn't run your life.

hugs
Catty1

smokey the elder
05-06-2006, 08:02 AM
You sound like you have a real phobia. I'd try to get some kind of help.

Chilli
05-06-2006, 08:46 AM
I agree. You might want to check into professional help.
And have told your teacher about your fear of snakes? S/he might take the snake out of his/her classroom if its causing a disturbance in class.
Good luck, I hope thinkgs get better soon. :)

Laura's Babies
05-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Yes, there is someting going on and you need to get help before you end up having it ruining your life. Don't be ashamed and let that shame keep you from getting help!

Karen
05-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Yup - that's more than a normal fear. Time to get help, as it is inerfering with you living your life.

I LIKE snakes. I was a complete disappointment to boys on the elementary school playground who would find a snake and use it to chase girls. I didn;t scream. I didn;t run away. I said "Can I hold it? " and they never let me, they just went in search of more gullible girls.

Little ol' garter snake isn't gonna hurt you, I promise.

racing_gurl07
05-06-2006, 12:10 PM
That is how i am with Grass Hoppers, when i was around 1-2 i was sitting on the deck and i turned around and seen a grasshopper behind me and i jumped off and im just glad that my mom caught me before i feel on my face. And ever since then ive been deadly scared of them! I cant even look at a picture either without crying! One time when i was walking home from school there were ALOT of grasshoppers on the drive way and i took rocks and tried to get them out of the way but they wouldnt move, and there was no way i would go in the grass to go to the other door. So i waited for my mom to get home to drive me up to the door :( :o :o I want to get over this fear, because if my children (someday) see one and want me to get away from them, i wouldnt be able to do it :(

Karen
05-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Aww, grasshoppers aren't gonna hurt you, or your future children either.

My older brother's wife is afraid of snakes. We wanted to make sure she didn't pass this along to her kids. When my eldest neice was about 4, SiL said to me, "There was a snake in the yard yesterday. He picked his head up and looked at me and I screamed!"

So I said, "You probably scared the poor little guy," and my niece agreed. As did her mother reluctantly. Years later, my college-age niece is not snake phobic.

Flatcoatluver
05-06-2006, 01:23 PM
I was wondering if it was a phobia.
Where do I get help? How would a cousler help me?? :confused:

Karen
05-06-2006, 01:29 PM
I was wondering if it was a phobia.
Where do I get help? How would a cousler help me?? :confused:

To quote Dictionary.com:

pho·bi·a (f?'b?-?)
n.
A persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid it, despite the awareness and reassurance that it is not dangerous.
A strong fear, dislike, or aversion.

Sounds perfect, right? I know there are a lot of scams and scammers that claim to help people deal with phobias, but I have no experience with one, so I do not know what a counselor does to help people, I just know it is possible.

Zippy
05-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Ever since I was a little girl I have been deathly afraid of snakes. But just recently it has been getting worse and worse. Last year I would completely avoid going out in the summer, I was so scared of running into just a gardener snake. But now it’s getting worse were I can’t even look at pictures without crying my eyes out and I skip class a lot because my teacher has a snake in the class. If I even go to class I shake and try to look like I am not crying. I know we all have are fears, but is it still a normal fear or is it something I need to try and get help??

that is not a normal fear i think it is called a phobia you need to talk to someone I saw on dateline about someone who was like that with spydiers.

Catty1
05-06-2006, 06:04 PM
The best thing is to see your doctor, and get referred to a counsellor who deals with phobias.

If money is a problem, maybe your parents have insurance or an EAP at work? Or some counsellors work on a sliding scale.

Go for it - life is too short!

hugs
Catty1

Alysser
05-06-2006, 06:11 PM
I heard about some program that helps people get over fears of snakes,sharks,bugs,spiders,and other animals. They work with you until you aren't that afriad. Then they make you handle the animal in your last few sessions. Maybe look into this program. See if there is one in your area.

Flatcoatluver
05-06-2006, 09:25 PM
I heard about some program that helps people get over fears of snakes,sharks,bugs,spiders,and other animals. They work with you until you aren't that afriad. Then they make you handle the animal in your last few sessions. Maybe look into this program. See if there is one in your area.
I don't think I could ever handle it. I only want to be able just to walk outside without being afraid.

Catty1
05-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Start with seeing your doctor, then, and getting a referral. Does your family know about this? Please share it with them.

hugs
Catty1

IRescue452
05-06-2006, 10:37 PM
If it makes you feel better, I'm afraid of ants. Its not to a point where I won't go outside, but I don't like to go out without shoes and if I am sitting on a picnic table or bench and see one I have to stand up or I will have all my attention on the ant making sure it doesn't come by me. We had class outside one day and we sat on the balcony of our building and I didn't hear a word the teacher said because I was watching the ground to make sure there were no ants. I can understand how you would watch the snake in the classroom to make sure it won't come by you. There's no way I'm going to hold one either to get over it.

Flatcoatluver
05-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks you for all the advise.