PDA

View Full Version : My new ribbon snake

BitsyNaceyDog
05-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Lately Justin has been talking about how big all of our snakes have gotten and how he misses having a small snake. Our smallest is our corn snake, Flick. Flick isn't a big snake, but he's no longer the tiny little baby he was when we got him.

Today we bought (a total impulse buy :rolleyes: ) a ribbon snake at Petco. :rolleyes: Not something I ever thought we'd do. Justin saw him and had to have him. He's always liked ribbon snakes and he just felt that special feeling when he saw this little guy.

Justin named the snake 'John'.
Here is a picture of him-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/KBlaix2/reptiles/IMG_6718.jpg

Chilli
05-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Congradulations on your new addition!! He is gorgeous!! :D

Alysser
05-05-2006, 08:02 PM
That has to be one of the cutest little snakes I've ever seen! OMG he beautiful. Do they stay that small? Are the good for begginers and are the friendly?

BitsyNaceyDog
05-05-2006, 08:27 PM
That has to be one of the cutest little snakes I've ever seen! OMG he beautiful. Do they stay that small? Are the good for begginers and are the friendly?

Yes, they do stay that small! He may get a little bigger, but not much.

Honestly I don't know if they'd be a good beginner snake. I don't know too much about them yet, I have some reading to do. Justin has been studying and reading about snakes since he was really little. From what I can see so far they do seem pretty easy. Justin is the one who cares for all our snakes though. The one thing that I can say is that ribbon snakes are hard to hold, they are really fast moving snakes. One thing I really like about them is that eat fish rather than rats.

He is very friendly. :)

Karen
05-05-2006, 08:35 PM
He's a beauty! Welcome little ribbon John!

Alysser
05-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Yes, they do stay that small! He may get a little bigger, but not much.

Honestly I don't know if they'd be a good beginner snake. I don't know too much about them yet, I have some reading to do. Justin has been studying and reading about snakes since he was really little. From what I can see so far they do seem pretty easy. Justin is the one who cares for all our snakes though. The one thing that I can say is that ribbon snakes are hard to hold, they are really fast moving snakes. One thing I really like about them is that eat fish rather than rats.

He is very friendly. :)

Thank you for answering my questions! I really am interested in one now. :eek: :)

buttercup132
05-05-2006, 09:52 PM
I think they are a good beginer snake both them and corn snakes. Or so I herd when I was looking for a snake.

And they dont HAVE to eat pinky mice they can eat crickets.(I think)
Your smallest snake is your corn snake!!:eek: What other snakes do you have?
He's really cute I cant wait to see him when hes fattened up. lol
Congrads

WarahGirl1995
05-05-2006, 10:02 PM
wow, John is a cute little snake :)

BitsyNaceyDog
05-05-2006, 10:26 PM
I think they are a good beginer snake both them and corn snakes. Or so I herd when I was looking for a snake.

And they dont HAVE to eat pinky mice they can eat crickets.(I think)
Your smallest snake is your corn snake!!:eek: What other snakes do you have?
He's really cute I cant wait to see him when hes fattened up. lol
Congrads

We have 2 red tail boas, a ball python, a jungle carpet python, a snow corn snake, and now the ribbon snake.

They don't eat mice at all, or crickets. They eat fish.

He won't 'fatten up', they're thin snakes. He'll get a little bigger, but not too much. I think they average only around 2 feet long.

I don't know as much about him as I wish I did, but I'll learn from Justin, just as I have with the other snakes. When Justin was a kid he loved reading snake books, he's read them from cover to cover, over and over. When we got our house one of the first things he did was get Flick, our corn snake. He'd waited practically his whole life for a snake. He even worked with reptiles (snakes and alligators) at Gatorland (http://www.gatorland.com/) for awhile, but it didn't pay enough and he needed to find a better job.

Suki Wingy
05-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Awww! *squeals* he;s adorable!!
Personally I like them much more than the reticulators, seems like they just sit there.

ChrisH
05-06-2006, 09:12 AM
I love snakes and he's a real cutie! Congrats

Alysser
05-06-2006, 10:34 AM
I have one more question. Sorry lol. :o Are they good with handling? I know they are fast and stuff but do they actually like being handled? I can't believe how cute he is! :)

BitsyNaceyDog
05-06-2006, 11:56 AM
I have one more question. Sorry lol. :o Are they good with handling? I know they are fast and stuff but do they actually like being handled? I can't believe how cute he is! :)

I guess it depends on the snake. Though he is fast moving, this one seemed pretty comfortable being held. They can spray (kind of like a cat) and he didn't spray us when we held him. He also didn't try to bite. They don't seem to be a snake that you can walk around with though. I think that he will be a snake that Justin will pick up for a minute or so and then put back, more of a display snake. He hold the other snakes longer and can walk around with them more.

Justin's taught me a bit more about them this morning. They get a little longer than I thought. I thought he had told me average length was 2 feet, but today he said 3 feet but they stay quite thin. He thinks John is about 18 inches now.

Right now we have him in a 10 gallon tank because he has to stay quarantined away from the other reptiles for awhile. Once he can go into the snake room he'll be in a larger tank (I think the one we have for him is a 40 gallon).

I'm still learning so don't take everything I say as being completely right, I'm sure it's not.

zoomer
05-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Congrads! He sure is a cutie... :)

Zippy
05-06-2006, 02:12 PM
congrats John is so cute.
How is Emmy?Has she moved in with the other tiels?

BitsyNaceyDog
05-07-2006, 11:28 AM
congrats John is so cute.
How is Emmy?Has she moved in with the other tiels?

She's so great. Justin has really likes her too. She's getting along really well with the other cockatiels, but no I haven't put her in with them yet. I really don't know why I haven't though.