PDA

View Full Version : impulse or planned out

lute
05-05-2006, 01:30 PM
did you get your dog(s) by impulse or did you plan and get ready for the dog when you did?

we got Beanie after our yorkie died. we went looking for a new dog.

Gracie wasn't an impulse either. i wen tlooking for a dog to show.

(*Edit* i forgot. my dane pup is planned. he's comming home in August.)

Lori Jordan
05-05-2006, 02:19 PM
All mine were thought of,except my Newf that was my hubby's doing i came home to a big black dog one day lol,And she has brought so much hapieness to my life and i love that girl dearly!!!Even though she drules on everything lol.

lv4dogs
05-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Nanook was planned out for sure. We searched shelters & newspapers for about a year, looking for that perfect mutt!!!

Raustyk wasn't totally planned out. She was an investigation case at the shelter I volunteered at and the shelter my vet helped out. She was to be PTS as soon as the courts were over. I decided I would adopt her (special privlidges because of where I worked & volunteered for). I was not able to bring her home until almost a month later so I had plenty of time to prepare though.

Kaige was planned out, in fact the most planned out dog yet. I searched breeders of a few different breed for years. Finally decided on either an Aussie or Pointer. checked out many breeders, yadda yadda and found his breeder, checked her out & the refferences for almost another year. Then I was on her waiting list for almost a year.

elizabethann
05-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Fenway was planned. He's my first dog. I was looking for a dog and saw him on Petfinder. I have to admit it, I never realized how much work he was going to be (and he was a puppy to boot). So the night before I was to pick him up, I was running around town like a chicken with its head cut off, looking for toys, bed, food, collar, leash, snacks, poop bags, brush, sweater and God knows what else. I think I spent over $300 and when I got home I passed out. Then I went to pick him up and my whole world changed from that day on (you'd think I'd just given birth). But he's been my baby ever since and I wouldn't change a thing. :D

dab_20
05-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Molli wasn't planned, really. We didn't plan on getting another dog when we had Missy, but my friend's dog had puppies and we fell in love with them.
We got Sam in the fall when we really planned to get a dog in the spring. We lost our cocker girl in the summer and wanted another cocker. He really melted our hearts so we had to get him.

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Tia was planned exactly, we got Jesse when she was expecting pups and decided that we would like to keep a pup. So I guess it was sort of planeed, but it's not as if we went out looking for another Dachshund.

Morgan was planned, we had wanted to get another Rottweiler since last October I think, somewhere around there anyway and in February we contacted Rottweiler Rescue and adopted Morgan. We didn't plan on a puppy though, we wanted an young adult female.

Winston was sort of planned I guess but if we were going to get a Doberman, we had wanted a female pup from a good breeder. Our friend who breeds and rescues Dobes offered Winston to us and when we met him, he seemed perfect so we decided to adopt him.

Tango wasn't really planned, we were offered a puppy from a friend of ours who had an accidental litter. I wanted a really active dog, unlike the 2 we had at the time but I was waiting for the day I could get a purebred Toller. Since these pups were mixed with Tollers and the closest thing I'd get to having one, my parents said I could have one.

Chilli
05-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Frisk, Impulse. We were just looking, because I had been begging my mum and dad for a dog of my own. Once I saw him, I knew I couldn't live without him. :D

Ethan, Impulse. We were just at Petco to look around, and of course, we look at the dogs for adoption. He came home with us that night. :)

critter crazy
05-05-2006, 04:11 PM
All of my critters were impulses!! except for the horses and chickens, we had thought about those for quite some time! but everything else was pretty much an impulse, most of my critters have found me!:D

k9krazee
05-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Shadow, Micki, Mini, Kyra - Impulse

Kyra - planned :mad: :(

sammy101
05-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Kodie was sort of planned,we wanted another dog and fell in love with him.
Lucy was an Impulse.We fell in love with her when we went to Petsmart and theyh ad adoptions that day.

lute
05-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Kyra - planned :mad: :(
??? why is this a bad thing?

Muddy4paws
05-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Well my mum and dad gave us a choice when our RB Mutt died, It was either a holiday or another dog.. So needless to say we got our Lab Meg because we had always been used to having two dogs in the house, We got her from what you would call a BYB because we tried a rescue for dogs and they didnt put thenselves out to help us so we found a dog another way, Meg was ill when we got her but it was unknown to us and the breeder and the vet said its was a one off chance that she got it and that it wasnt a problem with the litter...
We did get in touch with the breeder who offered to take her back and give us a refund or another pup but we couldnt part with her! :p We was also told she wouldn't live that long past being a puppy but shes 8 now and hopefully ( Touch wood! ) has got many years to go yet :)

My jack russell was definatly an impulse buy, We found an add on the internet for a jack russell puppy and before I knew it my mum and dad was in the car on the way to pick her up, She was the last of the litter because a lady had turned her down for being "ugly" . We didnt get to see her dad but we saw her mum who was a wired haired JR who she turned out to look nothing like! We definalty think shes part corgi though shes not 100% JR
thats for sure. :)

zoomer
05-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Dogs I have now
Alaska was planned, we had been looking for a dog.
Georgia was planned, we were looking for another dog since my mom got rid of my dog Claire... :(
Buddy was impulse, I cried until I had him in my arms :)

RB Dogs
Claire was planned, we wanted a 2nd dog
Suzy was impulse, she didn't look too good with her old owners so we took her.

Jessika
05-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Jamie was definitely impulse. I'd wanted another dog, but not in our small apartment. I was told of a red merle puppy that an old coworker of mine had that needed to be adopted out. I was not even going to mention her to HJ because I KNEW he would say no. But just for the heck of it, I did.... he did not even hesitate to say yes!! :o I picked her up the next day!!

Charlie was planned out, but not by me! Charlie was an early Christmas present for me one year. He had planned it all and talked it out with my parents beforehand, so it was definitely not an impulse decision!

BitsyNaceyDog
05-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Bitsy was planned. We got her 2 days before our wedding as our wedding gift to eachother.

Charlie was planned. We knew we wanted a second dog, but didn't have a specific breed in mind. I had been checking the pound for only a couple weeks before I found Charlie. (Though we actually didn't find him at the pound.) My friend knew someone who was 'fostering' her daughters min pin and rehoming him. My friend told me about him, we met him and he came home with us.

Buster was not planned at all. He was in an abusive home and was given to my boss and me to rehome (I worked at a kennel). Buster had a lot of issues and needed a lot of special care and TLC. Justin and I decided he should be with us.

Nacey was semi-planned, not really though. We were fostering her and she was homed with a couple. Justin and I hated giving her up and wanted her back. We said if for whatever reason she didn't work out we wanted her back, permanently. Several weeks later we got a call saying if we still wanted her she was ours.

Nova wasn't planned at all either. She showed up at our door one day (thanksgiving day 2004). We searched for her owners for over a month before finding them. They had no interest in getting Nova back. For about another month we were fostering her and after several interviews with potential homes we decided she belonged with us. Nacey and she were bonded so tightly we couldn't separate them.

Jake was also semi-planned, but not really. Justin and I have been talking about adding a larger dog to our family, but had no intention of doing it so soon. Jake is an amazing dog and although the timing isn't perfect we couldn't let him go.

lovethatpug
05-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Annabelle was planned. For about a year after my family's two other dogs died, Emma a black lab x husky and Sammy a cairn terrier, we decided life without dogs was unbearable. We looked for the perfect dog and decided on a pug. It was between a pug or a Westie. So we looked everywhere for a really good and safe looking pug breeder, and we finally found around Ventura, California.

Pembroke_Corgi
05-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Marta was planned, I really wanted a dog and my mom paid for half of her as an early 20th birthday gift. She is by far the best gift I have ever gotten! I really can't see myself without her.

Adele was planned too. Eric didn't wasn't crazy about a second dog, but we saw Adele on petfinder and fell in love! Hehee now she is Eric's "baby."

Vallis wasn't planned, of course we were fostering him and ended up adopting. The funny thing is though, we only fostered because we were buying some things at a local pet store that does rescues, and the owner asked what kind of dogs we had, and hearing we had a corgi, she said, "We're getting a corgi this weekend," so we filled out an app. for fostering, and got him on Sat, April 1st, and he's been here ever since!

chocolatepuppy
05-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Both of my dogs were planned. I went to the shelter and picked them out. Both times I went looking for a shepherd/collie mix, both times I came back without! :rolleyes: But my dogs are fine just the way they are. :)

bckrazy
05-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Gonzo was not necessarily planned. We were planning on getting a GSD puppy from an awesome working breeder in Chico. I said I only wanted money for my B-day to pay for the puppy. We were waiting a few months for the pups to be old enough, and 2 weeks before we were supposed to pick out our pup, I heard about Gonzo. A friend from BC rescue heard we were getting a puppy, and she told us about a BC puppy that a rancher was dumping - BCRNC had rescued adults/pups from these people before. We just went to "look" and see if anyone we know might take him in, and we went home with him.

Fozzie was planned... in that we wanted another dog. Of course, we had a Cardigan Welsh Corgi puppy reserved from a breeder in Washington. Our puppy was reserved by the stud owner, and a few days after learning we had lost her, we found out about Fozzie, from a rescue in Redding. I'm very glad I got Fozzie instead of a Cardi, we're already very attached to him!

Chica
05-05-2006, 07:58 PM
I PLANNED GETTING MY CHIHUAHUA "CHICA"!!!I RESEARCHED CHIHUAHUA'S/ NAMED HER BEFORE I GOT HER.I BOUGHT TOYS, BOWLS, WEE WEE PADS, doggie bed, and put gates up to block the kitchen entrances so I could keep the puppy in one area while I was gone from the house.This is Chica at 11 weeks old.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/chica14wkssmall.jpg
I even took a week off from work to take care of my puppy!It's great having my "Chica"This is her now!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/CHICA2/7-29-05.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/CHICA2/fun_6.gif

Alysser
05-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Sassy was planned. We had been looking for a maltese for years.

wolfsoul
05-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Total impulse! The day I got her was the day I went out and bought everything for her, that's how unplanned she was. I am definatly a planner, so it was a bit of a shock I think, but I'm glad I did it!

Cincy'sMom
05-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Sadie was definately the most planned of our three. We heard about her and her littermates before our wedding. We both knew we wanted to get a dog after we got married, so after much discussion we went to visit ~ 2 weeks after our wedding. She was only 6 weeks old at that time, so we went home without her knowing 2 weeks later we would bring ohome our baby girl.

Cincy was semi-planned. We had been talking about getting Sadie a playmate, and one Saturday morning my mom called and asked if we wanted to see some lab mix puppies. We talked a bit, finally set up an appointment for the next day. We planned on leaving Cincy there 2 more weeks (she was only about 5 1/2 weeks at that time), but the puppies were left alone outide in a chicken coop, while mom was inside with the family. We ended up bring her home that day.

Spot was not planned. I had been playing around with the idea of getting a third dog, and was hoping for a male dal. Ralph wans't not there yet, and not sure he wanted three. When we heard about Spot, we had little time to talk . It was already 10 am, and if someone didn't claim him by 6 pm that night, he would be PTS. We said we would rescue him, and get him into a no-kill group here in Toledo. It was obvious very quickly however that he and the girls had other plans. He was here to stay!!

Toby's my baby
05-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Boo boo was planned, our dog Allie (boo boo's older sister) was shot on accident by my older brother (he was target practicing and the bullet hit a tree then hit her) I was only about a year old, so I dont know the WHOLE story. But then my family heard that the same people they had got Alie from, had another litter, so they got Boo boo.

Maggie was a COMPLETE impulse. A lady at my school's dog Molly had a litter of puppies, and she brought them to school one day, so some of the people who had planned on getting one, could pick out the ones they wanted. She had bought something for Molly out of a magazine, and I went to go give it to her (in her office at school) and I saw the puppies there grunting and whinning on the floor and I HAD to have one. It turned out that my mom came to pick me up from school that day to bring me to a doctor's appt. so she looked at the puppy I had picked out (I had originally picked out a male, but my mom wouldn't let us get another male, beings Boo boo was territorial) so my sister brought Maggie home...ON THE BUS!! lol.

Autumn was sort of an in between. My dad is a landlord, and the people that we renting one of his houses had a dog, and we told them that they couldn't have one, so then the dog disappeared for about 2 weeks, and they said that they had DROPPED IT OFF! Then about 2 weeks later, it was back in their yard tied up. Me and my dad went over there, and told them that they could either get rid of the dog asap, and if they didn't have another home for it that we would take her and bring her to the Humane Society, OR find her a DIFFERENT home. Well, she ended up getting loose in there neighborhood, and couldn't "find" her. But me and my dad found her! And we didn't give her back either, we took her right home. The plan was to keep her for a week, nad if they found out we had her, that we would give her back, but after a week she was going straight to the HS, but she never did leave!! :p

Sevaede
05-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Well, I have had a lot of dogs so I won't inflict you all with a barrage of tales (tails? :D)! But, our new Chihuahua puppy is being difficulty planned.

Flatcoatluver
05-05-2006, 10:41 PM
All of my dogs are planned. No matter what we will have some kindof "sport the dogs will do" So we try to plan on what breeds will be perfect for what we want them to do. I know I will probally make a mistake in the future and see a dog in a shelter and it will be impulse!!

WarahGirl1995
05-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Rupert was planned,we had gone to the dog shelter 7 or 8 times and we knew we were going to get him.
Max was an impulse ,we thought we were going to just go look at him but my family had to say yes,he is so sweet and his little brother Rupert luved him at first sight then he just fit in the family.

Suki Wingy
05-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Very planned. In my family my parents are too strong to run on impulse.

cloverfdx
05-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Penny and Clover were planned we looked for months in rescues and shleters for them (Both were from oops litters in the end). Theodore (Chihuahua) was impulse bought. Elvis was planned, we knew about him 3-4 weeks before he was born.

Then Ms Tinny came along unexpectedly, and was only a foster.. well that lasted all of a day and we could not give her up (I did not try too hard to find her a home hehe, no one was ever good enough for her). If Tinny had not come aloog when she did i was going on a waiting list for a pup anyway ;).

wolf_Q
05-05-2006, 11:41 PM
I wouldn't say any of our dogs were on impulse, maybe not completely planned either though.

Reggie was a puppy from a litter my dad's co-worker's dog had. They had talked to us (my siblings and I, kids at the time) about getting one of the puppies but I don't think they ever actually said we were getting one. One day my dad took me for a ride in the car (he said we were going somewhere else but I don't remember where) and picked him up to take him home (he was the last pup in the litter and they hadn't been able to find him a home yet). It was my parents decision I don't think it was exactly an impulse.

With Nebo, I had been wanting a siberian husky my entire life and my parents finally said I could get one. We went to the wrong places looking for puppies (newspaper ads) and drove to a few different houses looking at husky puppies. They were all cute of course, but none of them seemed right. I wanted a black and white female, I wasn't even going to look at the 2 red males but decided to do it anyway. Obviously, I fell in love. :o I didn't bring him home that day though, I went home and thought about it, then went back to get him the next day. Best decision ever! :D So it was planned on getting a siberian husky, but maybe impulse on which one.

Sydney was my sisters dog, she bought her when she was a puppy. When my sister was pregnant with twins she was having a hard time so my mom offered to bring Sydney home for a while until she was doing better. Well she had the babies and after they acted like they didn't want her back, and we didn't want her to end up in a bad home...so she's still here. It was an impulse on my mom's part to bring her home in the first place, but we weren't intending to keep her...she's a sweetie though and we love her.

.sarah
05-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Mandy - Kind of a mixture of both. We didn't want another dog but Buttons was so depressed after losing Retread that we decided to get another dog. We weren't really planning much because it had only been two weeks since Retread died and we were all grieving. We looked through the humane society and other rescue groups and didn't find anyone we "clicked" with. We really wanted an adult dog because we weren't ready for a puppy, but when we visited the shelter a little white ball of fluff was barking at us!

Nova - Impulse, for the most part. I was wanting a rescue Golden but parents said no, "we're enjoying having just one dog". Buttons was a lot of work in his last year or so because he had so many health problems, and they just wanted a break. But after about 3 months I really started wanting another dog and I was looking through rescues to find a young male Golden Retriever. The one I wanted ended up getting adopted before my parents said a firm "yes", so I kept searching. One day my friend came into work to tell me her friend's Lab had a litter of puppies. I didn't think I could handle a Lab's energy level and that's why I originally chose a Golden. But I went to look anyway and took my camera. Mom couldn't pass up the puppy flopping and drooping in my arms in the photos so we brought home Nova a few days later ;)

Luka - Impulse. We went to a humane society fundraiser and she was there, and we fell in love. She came home 3 days later. It would have been sooner had my dad been in a good mood sooner ;) Needless to say she is now my dad's "favorite", and he freely admits that.

Buck - Planned but he came along sooner than we were thinking. We were going to get another dog this summer, either a Lab or a Dane (probably Lab but I was working on getting my parents to accept a Dane). Things kind of fell into place with him, though.

pnance
05-06-2006, 12:57 AM
I'd have to say somewhat of an impulse.

We were living in a rental and only had my small terrier. My roomates brother called and said a friend of a friend couldn't keep Savannah so she was headed to the pound. My roomate and her husband had about a day to make the decision and get clearance from our landlords, but it's been worth it.

Nikka belonged to our neighbor, she'd been offered to us before, but when we brought her over on a trial she was way to interested in the cats (she has a high prey drive), so we decided it wouldn't work. A couple of months later her owner hit her with his car "by accident???" and was going to put her down. We took her in paid her medical bills and never offered her back.

We had no intention of getting another dog but....Bear also belonged to the same neighbor. He was taking off to the desert for the July 4th weekend with his other dog, Roxy and leaving Bear behind, so we offered to watch him. He was filthy, his coat matted and his skin black with fleas. We shaved him and cleaned him up, and when the owner came back he didn't ask for Bear back initially. About 2 months later he showed up on our doorstep wanting him back (2 days before he went into drug rehab). Within a month we had both of the dogs at our house. Needless to say when the neighbor got back he asked us to keep both dogs while he settled back in. We had Roxy for abuot 5 months before he came and took her back permantely (he'd take her on weekends sometimes), Bear he left, I'm fairly certain as "payment" for taking care of Roxy.

Hunter was somewhat of an impulse. I'd been thinking about getting a puppy, but hadn't really looked hard because I was still debating. I went into petsmart and there was this litter of rescued pups, I couldn't resist. The foster was there and approved me immediately so I was able to take him home that day.

animal_rescue
05-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Maggie Mae- semi planned. My dad was doing a tree job for someone that was breeding dobermans. Maggie was sorta payment to my dad for the tree job. He gave him Maggie and money. Ah well Maggie's my joy and I'm super glad that we got her!

Marty-semi impulse. We were visiting my adopted sister's dad(she's also my cousin, so the guy was my uncle) and he wanted to get her something special so they started looking through the classified ads. They were looking for poodles but could only find dashchunds. So my aunt(Savannah's step mom) and my mom went to go look and brought back Marty.

Alex-semi planned. We recieved a few puppy mill poodles from a closing puppy mill in town(a total of 60 poodles and one man caring for them). Well a couple of weeks before we got them my mom was saying how she wanted a poodle and the next one that we come across we were going to keep. :D LOL she spoke to soon. We got this sweet female poodle and Alex to foster and my aunt had about 4 that she was fostering down the street. We kept Alex, who was by far the most scarred, to this day he hates strangers and especially men. He's super protective of me and loves to follow me around. I call him my little stalker. :p

Roxabella- impulse. I was wanting a pit bull puppy and was hoping that I could get one this summer. Well last summer, before school started, I went on a mini vacation with my aunt and uncle. Well my aunt was looking through the classifieds and found a min pin for sale. We went to go look and I got her right on the spot. Roxie has definitely been a challenge. It took her nearly 9 months to potty train and I honestly thought it would never happen. She's doing so much better now! I love her and she's my baby girl. She is a total sweetheart and very hyper. A good ambassador of the min pin breed if you ask me.

PinkSunshine
05-06-2006, 04:06 PM
All 3 of ours were planned out. We researched dogue's for almost a year prior to getting Dozer. I knew I wanted a yorkie almost 10 years before we got Bailey..... "Jumping" into buying an animal without the proper research/thought isn't such a good idea..

Vette
05-06-2006, 04:18 PM
I was planning on another dog. but it was impulse that made me click that one on line artical and 'pow'
however my bridge dog Muffin was a impulse. when no one claimed her she became our dog. wasnt our plan at all.

CathyBogart
05-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Star was a bit of both. We had been talking about getting a dog but we weren't really sure abot it until Star laid claim to our hearts at an adoption fair one day.

Wilbur was planned. Star needed a buddy.

Duke was semi-planned, much like Star. DBF and I have been talking about a dog but haven't really come to any conclusions about it. Today I just sort of...well, melted. :)

Kfamr
05-06-2006, 09:03 PM
You'd have to ask my dad on this one.

When we got Simba I had been wanting a dog of my own forEVER. I constantly watched the neighborhood dogs, walked them, bathed them, fed them, etc. I think my parents had it planned.

Nala and Kiara, well I had no clue that we were ever going to come home with another dog.. let alone have 3 dogs. They were found on one of our usual humane society visits. Each time when filling out adoptions papers my dad said "Mom is going to kill me."

So, in my heart, all three of them were planned because I've always wanted many dogs. But, in reality.. they were more-so impulse because it wasn't something we really talked about.

Pam
05-06-2006, 09:46 PM
One planned and one not.

I was in the early stages of looking for a dog when I found Bella. Hubby had said "no more dogs" after our last dog went to the Bridge as the pain when they die is so bad. I started e-mailing him pictures of standard poodles maybe a month before getting Bella to sort of "wear him down." :p The day I got her I went to the breeder's just to *look.* HA! Just try leaving a breeder without a puppy! Well of course she was in the front seat of the car on the way back home. :)

Over the years, I have always had two dogs at a time, and about two years after getting Bella I was starting to have my eye out for a second dog. I sort of felt that I wanted to adopt from a shelter the next time although was having no luck finding a poodle. One day I happened to be at the shelter with my daughter as she was turning in *proof of spaying* of her kitty so that she could get a small reimbursement back from the state. Just by chance we decided to walk through the kennel area. There was my Ripley - dirty, matted and frightened. I asked for the shelter employee to let me into his cage and I sat down on the floor of the kennel to see what he would do. Ripley very timidly walked over to me and sat in my lap. I fell in love on the spot right there on the floor. After a 9 day waiting period to see if anyone claimed him (he was a stray) he was mine. :)

luvofallhorses
05-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Rocky was planned. When Buddy (RB) was going down hill, my parents decided on a black lab puppy so we wouldn't grieve so much.

Ginger wasn't planned.. my mom inherited her from her mother when she passed away from cancer in 2003.

Buster wasn't planned. I was looking at the 'free to good home' classifieds when I was home sick from school one day.. I was supposed to get my best friends' doxie, but he already had a family for him.

Jenny -- I think my parents planned her. They got her when I 'graduated' the 7th grade. She has been the best thing that has ever happened to me! :D

cloverfdx
05-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Nala and Kiara, well I had no clue that we were ever going to come home with another dog.. let alone have 3 dogs. They were found on one of our usual humane society visits. Each time when filling out adoptions papers my dad said "Mom is going to kill me."
Kay that is so sweet, bought tears to my eyes :o.

AdoreMyDogs
05-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Graham and Kersey were impulse. Boone was planned for a long time, I just thought we'd get him in July, when instead, we got him in April...he was planned, but just came earlier then originally expected :)

GiantSchnauzer
05-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Planned out. After I lost my last Giant the house felt so empty and so began my search for a GOOD breeder. I was on the list for a puppy from a GS breeder here in MA. I probably wouldn't have gotten a puppy until Oct. The breeder emailed me to tell me that the breeder she got 2 of her dogs from had puppies available and ready to go. I researched the pedigrees etc etc as I did with the MA breeder then emailed and called the Canadian breeder. She had puppies available because the Dam had 17 puppies :eek: Who expects that many?? The rest is history...

Roxyluvsme13
05-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Well, we were planning on a small dog when we got Roxy, but the dog we were going to adopt's owner came back for him. So...We ended up with Roxy! :D
Then, we had lost Tink a month after we got Lily, and we wanted another Pom, so we got her. She was more of an impulse.

lizbud
05-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Mine were all planned. If I hadn't I would have found myself with a
house full of dogs. :) After Buddy passed away, I found myself falling
into a deep depression & thought I might make myself sick with grief.
I went to find another pup to keep my mind from dwelling on my loss.

You can't be sad to long with a little pup running around who needs
you. Smokey was a wonderful distraction & Maggie has been a great
pal for him. My house is full again & I'm a better person because of it. :)

cocker_luva
05-07-2006, 02:10 PM
jesse was planned out

tricollie4me
05-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Bijou was (mostly) planned. We had adopted Bonnie, our first cat, in the month of January, and by February I knew I wanted a second pet for our family - this time, a dog. We checked many shelters online and went to see one group of pups that we soon realized wouldn't be right for our family...when we returned home that afternoon I felt really sad - like we were missing "someone...". That evening, I found our Bijou on a local rescue's website. I had actually noted her photo previously, during our search, and this time made the call to the rescue the next morning to find out about her. I was told she was the final collie pup available from a litter of sables (she was the only tri), and that the rescue had two other families calling about her. I told them to hold her for me until 12:00 p.m. and drove like mad through terrible weather conditions to see her. I adopted her on the spot and brought her home!

Four months later we adopted a sibling pair of cats so now have our hands full (of fur!) ;)

I just adore this girl. Now if only I could get my hubby to agree to a second dog, I think a pair of pups and a trio of felines would be perfect!

BTW, interestingly, the rescue's photo simply showed her little black body tucked into the mass of her sable collie pup siblings! I really didn't know who I was going to be meeting -- she ran like wild, jumped like crazy, and was all-around ebullient with her taste of freedom. She's such a wonderful metaphor for all that is good in the world!