PDA

View Full Version : Catnip assistance needed

trinity
05-05-2006, 11:11 AM
A few months ago a friend gave us a catnip plant. It has, despite the fact that I keep forgetting to water it, flourished as an indoor plant. It is in a hanging pot, far enough above the furrballs that they can't get to it and cause havoc....however, I need to plant it outside soon (before it grows out of the pot) and was looking for advice. Basically, in the sun or not, any particular type of ground, etc....HELP!!!!!

I'm sure this will make the strays in the neighborhood very happy! :rolleyes:

lv4dogs
05-05-2006, 11:15 AM
I am not sure what the plant is technically supposed to have as far as sunlight goes but I do have friends that have grown it outdoors. Theyll had their catnip in mostly sunny locations (almost all sun with a little shade early am & late pm) and all of their plants thrived.

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-05-2006, 11:26 AM
We have catnip in our garden, and it is on a very sunny spot! My cats aren't interested though, they only want the dried stuff :rolleyes:

AbbyMom
05-05-2006, 12:23 PM
We have ours in full sun. It self-seeded last year and the second plant came up in a mostly shady spot. Luckily, it lived through the winter and is thriving already!

:D

sirrahbed
05-05-2006, 12:47 PM
You can plant it pretty much anywhere outside and it literally grows like a weed - returning every year. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-05-2006, 01:12 PM
You can plant it pretty much anywhere outside and it literally grows like a weed - returning every year. :)

Ditto. And if you don't keep it in check, next thing you know you will be surrounded by catnip! ;) :eek: :D

catmandu
05-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Debbie Is Right.
My Dear Mother Planted Cat Nip,and It Grew Forever.
We Had Catnip Until My Dad Passed On,and The New Guy Buried All The Cat Nip.
Grrrrrrr!!!!

orangemm
05-06-2006, 04:05 AM
It will grow nicely outside, but watch out...I planted a gorgeous catnip plant in my yard one year and a couple of the neighbors' cats came by one evening and chewed it down to the roots! It was a mere stump.

So from now on, I only plant 'nip in hanging baskets well out of reach!

I'm sure they had a good time, though........ ;)