PDA

View Full Version : What are the differences between bettas?

Sevaede
05-05-2006, 12:40 AM
I am interested in getting another betta. But I am not very knowledgeable about fish so I am not "in the know" about the differences between bettas. I have always gone to a small pet store or fish store to get mine and they seem to be the same ones every where. So, any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

binka_nugget
05-05-2006, 07:12 AM
There are Veil tails, double tails, halfmoons, deltas, superdeltas, crowntails and plakats. There can also be combinations such as crowntail plakat, halfmoon plakat, etc.

Veil Tail: The most common tail type in pet stores. They're the ones with the drooping fins.

Double Tail: I've seen double tails that look like veils (drooping fins, only split in the middle), and double tails that look like halfmoons when flared.

Halfmoon: Fins that spread to 180 degrees when flared (sometimes bettas with 180+ fins are called over halfmoons/OHM)

Super Delta: Less than 180 but still pretty close

Delta: Doesn't quite make it to "super delta" but isn't a veil

Crowntail: The ends of the fins look like little spikes, for lack of better words. =P

Plakat: Short finned bettas. It's easy to get male plakats mixed up with females because of their small finnage.

Any other differences you'd like to know about? :)