PDA

View Full Version : Cardigan or Pembroke?

Sevaede
05-04-2006, 11:53 PM
While my husband and I were researching pooches, I was trying to figure out the differences between Cardigan and Pembroke Welsh Corgis. The information that I've gathered between my gigantic book (The Complete Encyclopedia of Dogs by Esther J.J. Verhooef-Valhallen) and www.dogbreedinfo.com is conflicting. So, does anyone here have experience with one or both breeds? What are they actually like (I tend to rely on first hand experiences a little more than only what I read.)?

We decided on a Chihuahua (Well, I told him that my aunt was having a litter, offered me one, and I said yes.) so I am not looking for another pooch at the moment. It's just interesting to me what all the types of breeds are like, etc. A hobby, if you will.

zoomer
05-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Cardigans and Pembrokes are quite different from eachother. I do not have experience with any of the breeds you are considering but after many years of studying dogs, I know that Cardigans don't enjoy kids as much as Pembrokes. You can find more info at these sites:

http://www.puppdogweb.com
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com
http://www.google.com
http://www,gotpetsonline.com

Hope I could help you a little bit... :)

Suki Wingy
05-05-2006, 10:57 AM
dispite obvious physical differences, Cardigan tend to be a bit more intense and work oriented. Usually families choose pembrokes.

bckrazy
05-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Ok, I researched the two breeds a LOT, because I was going to get a Cardigan.

*Cardigans have tails intact, Pembrokes are docked at birth (traditionally).

*Cardigans are heavier and taller.

*Pembrokes are accepted in the colors: Tri, Sable, Fawn, Red, with any amount of white.

*Cardigans are accepted in the colors: Tri, Sable, Red, Blue Merle, Brindle, and Black, with any amount of white.

*I disagree with Cardigans being more work-oriented, that has to do with breeders, not the actual breed of dog. Pems are much more commonly bred by BYB's, mills, and show breeders than Cardigans (unforunately :(). This results in many Pems with their herding drive bred out. My great aunt has a ranch in TX, where she has a herd of Pems to work their cattle. Trust me, they are not intended to sit in a house all day! They're both awesome working dogs, and should only by bought from a breeder who has proven their breeding dogs with livestock.

*In my experience, Pems are bouncier and barkier. Again, this could be due to breeding trends in the breed.

*They descend from the same breed (which is said to be a very old breed), but were seperated into 2 different breeds about 70 years ago.

*Both breeds are friendly and active. Both breeds can have problems with children, because of their herding drive.

There's a lot more involved in the differences of the breeds. :0) There are many websites with the history of seperating the breeds, and the differences.

Pembroke_Corgi
05-05-2006, 07:44 PM
*They descend from the same breed (which is said to be a very old breed), but were seperated into 2 different breeds about 70 years ago.

I've heard different things about this, many sources say that they were actually different breeds until about they gained popularity in the UK and the US, and were interbred. Eventually, when a breed standard was set up they were recognized as different breeds, but I've also heard that they are descended from spitz types dogs brought from the Vikings. They are related to the Vallhund.

Erica did a good job summarizing- I guess I'd just add that Cardis are a little more laid back and Pems tend to be more hyper.

Also, both breeds will nip at kids if they aren't properly trained, but I think Cardis are more known for that. When Marta was a puppy she will grab onto our feet- ouch! Of course she doesn't now, but she does have a strong herding instinct- she herds the other dogs, so does Vallis.

They are both great breeds, very very smart and really a ton of fun. You just have to be a bit careful about dominance, though- if corgis don't find the head of the household they will gladly fulfill the role. :) ;)

Sevaede
05-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Cardigans and Pembrokes are quite different from eachother. I do not have experience with any of the breeds you are considering but after many years of studying dogs, I know that Cardigans don't enjoy kids as much as Pembrokes. You can find more info at these sites:

http://www.puppdogweb.com
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com
http://www.google.com
http://www,gotpetsonline.com

Hope I could help you a little bit... :)

Ah, thank you! :D Indeed, you did. :)

Sevaede
05-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Ok, I researched the two breeds a LOT, because I was going to get a Cardigan.

*Cardigans have tails intact, Pembrokes are docked at birth (traditionally).

*Cardigans are heavier and taller.

*Pembrokes are accepted in the colors: Tri, Sable, Fawn, Red, with any amount of white.

*Cardigans are accepted in the colors: Tri, Sable, Red, Blue Merle, Brindle, and Black, with any amount of white.

*I disagree with Cardigans being more work-oriented, that has to do with breeders, not the actual breed of dog. Pems are much more commonly bred by BYB's, mills, and show breeders than Cardigans (unforunately :(). This results in many Pems with their herding drive bred out. My great aunt has a ranch in TX, where she has a herd of Pems to work their cattle. Trust me, they are not intended to sit in a house all day! They're both awesome working dogs, and should only by bought from a breeder who has proven their breeding dogs with livestock.

*In my experience, Pems are bouncier and barkier. Again, this could be due to breeding trends in the breed.

*Both breeds are friendly and active. Both breeds can have problems with children, because of their herding drive.

There's a lot more involved in the differences of the breeds. :0) There are many websites with the history of seperating the breeds, and the differences.

Ah, okay. I guess they really aren't suited for me then. We do plan on having a rather large piece of land to call our own but don't plan on having anything on it besides chickens and ducks. :D

Sevaede
05-05-2006, 09:40 PM
I've heard different things about this, many sources say that they were actually different breeds until about they gained popularity in the UK and the US, and were interbred. Eventually, when a breed standard was set up they were recognized as different breeds, but I've also heard that they are descended from spitz types dogs brought from the Vikings. They are related to the Vallhund.

Erica did a good job summarizing- I guess I'd just add that Cardis are a little more laid back and Pems tend to be more hyper.

Also, both breeds will nip at kids if they aren't properly trained, but I think Cardis are more known for that. When Marta was a puppy she will grab onto our feet- ouch! Of course she doesn't now, but she does have a strong herding instinct- she herds the other dogs, so does Vallis.

They are both great breeds, very very smart and really a ton of fun. You just have to be a bit careful about dominance, though- if corgis don't find the head of the household they will gladly fulfill the role. :) ;)

Heh, Marta sounds like Biggles! When I was living with my biological mother, we had this Doxie named Biggles (She still has him). I would grab my sister by the arms as she laid on the floor and Biggles would grab her pants legs and we would have a Tug-of-war for Alex. :D He still does that too!

bckrazy
05-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Ah, okay. I guess they really aren't suited for me then. We do plan on having a rather large piece of land to call our own but don't plan on having anything on it besides chickens and ducks. :D

I don't have any livestock at all (not even within 20 miles of my house.. heh) but I have a Border Collie and a Corgi mix! If you have time every day to really exercise your dogs, train & work with them, and you have the patience, Corgis could be great for you. You don't need livestock at all, but you do need to provide the pup with other stimulation... if you're interested in Agility, Flyball, Obedience, etc, herding breeds can be just as happy "working" in dog sports as they are working livestock. What I mentioned about working your herding dogs, is that breeding stock needs to have working experience. If you have a pet puppy that will not be reproducing, all you need to worry about is mentally/physically keeping them happy and exercised in whatever way you want.

Sevaede
05-06-2006, 09:37 PM
I don't have any livestock at all (not even within 20 miles of my house.. heh) but I have a Border Collie and a Corgi mix! If you have time every day to really exercise your dogs, train & work with them, and you have the patience, Corgis could be great for you. You don't need livestock at all, but you do need to provide the pup with other stimulation... if you're interested in Agility, Flyball, Obedience, etc, herding breeds can be just as happy "working" in dog sports as they are working livestock. What I mentioned about working your herding dogs, is that breeding stock needs to have working experience. If you have a pet puppy that will not be reproducing, all you need to worry about is mentally/physically keeping them happy and exercised in whatever way you want.

Ah, okay! I may have to look into a Corgi in the future! :D There would be no breeding but we would be doing agility, obedience, and flyball. :D