PDA

View Full Version : Fugly...that's his name!

lute
05-04-2006, 01:09 PM
this poor guy is at the Terre Haute Humane society in Terre Haute,Indiana. i was pretty shocked at what they named him, but then in his "notes" section they just tell you haw horrible he is. :( poor guy will probably be PTS. :(

http://wwww.petfinder.com/fotos/IN37/IN37.6173959-2-x.jpg

Fugly's petfinder page. (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6173959)

please post about him everywhere you can. i want to try and proove to them that he has just as much a chance to be adopted as all the other dogs!

Kfamr
05-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Wow, that's pretty disgusting for a shelter to do. His eye needs medical help it seems.

lv4dogs
05-04-2006, 01:21 PM
I can NOT believe the staff would say such horrible things. Even if they are true they could of re-worded it, making it a possitive thing, like "needs experienced handler due to head strong behavior", "he will need medical attention for his eye". Because if he really was that unruley & unfit for a home he would be PTS not up for adoption. He must have the potential I would think, if they are at least listing him.
That pi**es me right off that they would say such a thing.

Jadapit
05-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Good grief, thats uncalled for and very sad! :( I can NOT believe the stuff the shelter said about him, poor guy. How in the world can they not tell if a dog is male or female :confused:

luvofallhorses
05-04-2006, 01:25 PM
people make me sick! :mad: I think he's beautiful. they must have no hearts! :mad:

pitc9
05-04-2006, 01:26 PM
That makes me sick, why would they do that?
I hope Fugly is found a good home.

lute
05-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Good grief, thats uncalled for and very sad! :( I can NOT believe the stuff the shelter said about him, poor guy. How in the world can they not tell if a dog is male or female :confused:

i have no idea. they say it about more than just him too. i use to volunteer at this shelter. it was under different managment then. the people that are working there now ran off all the good people. :(

luvofallhorses
05-04-2006, 01:35 PM
IMO that place needs to be shut down if they are going to treat the animals like ^&*) !! :(

Daisy and Delilah
05-04-2006, 02:28 PM
How do they ever expect to get him adopted with that attitude? Poor guy! How sad :(
I think he's a pretty cute boy :)

Lori Jordan
05-04-2006, 02:32 PM
That puts me in rage almost im going to call them right now

JenBKR
05-04-2006, 02:33 PM
I just want to cry for that poor dog. Every dog deserves a chance, I absolutely cannot believe that they put that on there. BTW, under their name, is that the shelter's email address? If so, I'm going to email them.

k9krazee
05-04-2006, 02:35 PM
:eek: :eek: Wow, a SHELTER wrote that?!?! How awful :( :mad:

RobiLee
05-04-2006, 02:41 PM
What in the heck is going on at that place?! Very wierd. I hope the poor thing finds a loving home.

JenBKR
05-04-2006, 02:42 PM
I emailed them this:

I just wanted to write and say that I came across poor Fugly's page on petfinder.com, and I am absolutely disgusted by what your organization has written about him. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I can understand if he/she is not your favorite dog, but do you have to spell it out as such? I sure hope that Fugly gets adopted despite your cruel remarks.

We'll see if they respond.....

lv4dogs
05-04-2006, 02:44 PM
A few of us emailed them. Seems they must be getting a lot of emails, we all got the same reply.

A very short reply just stating that they were trying to keep a "sense of humor" in their shelter and are going to be changing the dogs name.

I hope they change their attitude & the description of the dog too.

luvofallhorses
05-04-2006, 02:45 PM
sense of humor?!??! :rolleyes: this isn't humor, that's just plain mean! :mad:

JenBKR
05-04-2006, 02:45 PM
A few of us emailed them. Seems they must be getting a lot of emails, we all got the same reply.

A very short reply just stating that they were trying to keep a "sense of humor" in their shelter and are going to be changing the dogs name.

I hope they change their attitude & the description of the dog too.

Oh good, glad to know that others emailed them too. A sense of humor is one thing, but they went wayyyy too far.

Lori Jordan
05-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Ok i just called them and the lady i spoke to told me that it is a Volunteer that works on the website,apparently all emails that have been sent regarding Fugly are going to be forwarded to this Marg who wrote the write up on this Handsome dog,The lady had said that she dont even know the animals.So i said why would she write such a horrid thing,The dog has suffered enough and being older dont help any either.She has said that the write up will be fixed ASAP and i said im glad to hear that They will not find him a home with write ups like that bashing the poor soul and she has said they are doing the best the can for the dog I hope so!She was a very nice lady to talk to if anybody would like to express there opinions also!

lv4dogs
05-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Oh good, glad to know that others emailed them too. A sense of humor is one thing, but they went wayyyy too far.

I agree!

luvofallhorses
05-04-2006, 02:47 PM

I agree, too.

k9krazee
05-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Ok i just called them and the lady i spoke to told me that it is a Volunteer that works on the website,apparently all emails that have been sent regarding Fugly are going to be forwarded to this Marg who wrote the write up on this Handsome dog,The lady had said that she dont even know the animals.So i said why would she write such a horrid thing,The dog has suffered enough and being older dont help any either.She has said that the write up will be fixed ASAP and i said im glad to hear that They will not find him a home with write ups like that bashing the poor soul and she has said they are doing the best the can for the dog I hope so!She was a very nice lady to talk to if anybody would like to express there opinions also!

Thats great!!!

Lori Jordan
05-04-2006, 02:50 PM
They also have said to me that this has happend before with this person writing things like that about other dogs,For someone who dont even see these dogs just works on the website sure knocked the dog into the ground so sad,I wish i could have all animals in the world that need homes but my house is only so big!!

elizabethann
05-04-2006, 03:07 PM
I can't tell you how proud I am of all the PTers who called or emailed. You are my heros for the rest of the week. Thank you. :)

Lori Jordan
05-04-2006, 03:09 PM
i said that if i was the Boss she would be gone and my reply was"she only volunteers"

Alysser
05-04-2006, 03:38 PM
First off, that dog is NOT "fugly". What JERKS! :mad: How could anyone name a dog that?!? Secoundly, these staff members are idiots! Like they want that dog to be adopted. Im' sure. :mad:

.sarah
05-04-2006, 03:43 PM
They just changed it. I read it before it changed. Such awful things to say about that boy! :(

Husky_mom
05-04-2006, 03:51 PM
i didnt make it to the first post i read the changed version, thanks for PTers who complained, poor doggie he deserves the best and apparently the selther wasnt helping by what they wrote, they just need to write something else cause right now they only apologize adn explain what happened and who wrote what but no doggie description at all.

JenBKR
05-04-2006, 03:54 PM
I am very glad to see that it has changed. Poor dog - I think he's quite adorable!

sammy101
05-04-2006, 04:00 PM
I am very glad to see that it has changed. Poor dog - I think he's quite adorable!
i think he's beautiful!

I missed what they wrote about him before,but i think i dont want to know. poor guy :(

Kfamr
05-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Did anyone mention the fact that his eye is so bad - and asked if he is getting medical attention for it?

My Peanuts
05-04-2006, 04:08 PM
I only saw the revised version. I'm so proud of you guys for taking initiative. I swear if I was able to have another dog or was looking for a dog now I would adopt him out of there in a second! He deserves better.

abbersmom
05-04-2006, 04:12 PM
I've been looking at their available pets...

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6173915

They haven't had the opportunity to investigate the age & gender of this grouchy dog??

My Peanuts
05-04-2006, 04:15 PM
I've been looking at their available pets...

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6173915

They haven't had the opportunity to investigate the age & gender of this grouchy dog??

I hate to say it but it almost seems as if he's too aggressive to be adopted out. If they can't get close enough to determine sex then what will he do in a house with kids or even adults for that matter. It's sad. I hope I'm wrong.

animal_rescue
05-04-2006, 04:15 PM
GAH!

One thing I learned about how to check a dog's sex when your not to sure, and while it's not to glamorous, is feel. If someone flipping held him while another person ran a hand down his belly they'd know. It's not to hard and it's not like dog is going to be scarred for life by it. That shelter doesn't look good at all.
I'm assuming that he's to matted or fury for them to see visually.

Kfamr
05-04-2006, 04:23 PM
I hate to say it but it almost seems as if he's too aggressive to be adopted out. If they can't get close enough to determine sex then what will he do in a house with kids or even adults for that matter. It's sad. I hope I'm wrong.

It said the same thing about "Fugly."

My Peanuts
05-04-2006, 04:49 PM
It said the same thing about "Fugly."

It said the same exact thing? WOW, that place needs to be shut down.

critter crazy
05-04-2006, 04:56 PM
they updated the site and changed his name!! however they dont say anything about the dog!! its just a huge appology!!:(

dogzr#1
05-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Aww, that's very sad :( :( I feel sorry for him. He doesn't even know what's going on. I think that place should be shut down, for lacking treatment on an infected eye, giving harsh and false descriptions, and not able to determine the gender of a dog. :mad:

lute
05-04-2006, 05:08 PM
i'm glad to see they changed his name and the description, but they need to put info about this dog instead of saying sorry.

back when i volunteered at this shelter(3 yrs ago). it was a clean, nice, pleasant place to be. they do have a high adoption rate so i don't agree with those who said they need to be shut down. a lot has changed since i've been there and the people that run the shelter now ran off all the people that were running it "for the animals".

i highly doubt that this dog is getting the vet care he needs for his eye. the shelter doesn't have a lot of money and fundraisers aren't super succesful.

i'd like to also say that i am VERY proud to be a PT member! i'm glad to see that there are members that are willing to call and/or e-mail abouththis dog that lives no where close to them. :D

critter crazy
05-04-2006, 05:14 PM
i just sent them an e-mail!! they need to stop caring for animals!! there ads are cruel and not very informative!! they make jokes, and dont seem to care if these animals get adopted!! i am very upset!!

Chilli
05-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Thats really very unprofessional for a humane society to do! :(
They've already changed his desc. and name before I saw what it actually said.
I, personally, think he is a BEAUTIFUL dog, and if I had the right home and such (and no other dogs), I certainly would consider him. :)

zoomer
05-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Poor guy:( I can't believe a shelter would do that :mad: I thought shelters were supposed to be good... :rolleyes: That is just.... HORRIBLE

k9krazee
05-04-2006, 08:13 PM
i'm glad to see they changed his name and the description, but they need to put info about this dog instead of saying sorry.

I agree!! There is no info about him now :(

elizabethann
05-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Have you read the descriptions on some of the other dogs? Boy, whoever writes them has a weird sense of humor.

shihtzulover850
05-05-2006, 09:15 AM
I want to cry for him!! :( :( :( That is terrible. I didn't read all the bad stuff. All it said was they apologized. What did they really say about him?? :confused: :(

Pawsitive Thinking
05-05-2006, 09:34 AM
They've apologised for being offensive - he looks like a bit of a sweetheart to me!

JenBKR
05-08-2006, 03:34 PM
I assume that the rest of you who emailed this place get the same "apology" that I got from the volunteer who wrote up the description? :rolleyes:

Kfamr
05-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Nope, I emailed them with no reply! :rolleyes:

JenBKR
05-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Well, here is what I got back:

Hello Everyone-

I am the volunteer who wrote the description for Fugly. Someone else named
him, and I thought to myself, "why on Dog's green earth would someone name a
dog that?" Virtually every dog I've ever met has liked me, and I've worked
with thousands of dogs (probably over 5,000 since the early 80's) in the
time I've been volunteering.

I went out to meet this dog, and after more than an hour of sitting with
him, cooing with him, cajoling him with treats, and just hanging out, he
never got any friendlier at all. I try to really get to the heart of every
dog I meet, photograph, and describe, and all I could get from him was mean
and ugly. I agree with you all (it seems clear you probably know each other;
he's been online for a week and no one else has written to compain, and yet
we got 4 complaints within an hour today) that humans probably did something
to turn him into the animal he is today. But I would also tell you that I am
fostering a dog who was SHOT, who decided to trust anyway. I've fostered a
dog who was burned with cigarettes, and he decided to trust anyway. So, even
when mistreated, a dog can still have a good attitude. This dog does not. As
I was trying to decide how to photograph him, and what to say about him, I
decided to go for shock value. If you've been reading our site for quite a
while, you'll see I take many approaches. Some are humorous, some are sappy,
some are downright bizarre, some are designed to bring tears, but they are
all designed to do one thing: ATTRACT ATTENTION!!! I was hoping to shock
someone into caring about this poor creature! I wanted to say something so
outrageous that SOMEONE would write or call, and say, "I"LL TAKE THIS DOG
AND SHOW YOU THAT HE IS NOT A BAD DOG!"

And do you know what? It worked! I don't care what any of you think about me
personally; I volunteer 20-25 hours week for this shelter (and work 50 hours
a week at my real job), I've fostered dozens of dogs, I've worked
round-the-clock to give droppers of food and subcutaneous IVs to a puppy
dying of pneumonia (he didn't die, and has a wonderful home now) and have,
myself, adopted 7 (SEVEN!) hard-to-place, but wonderful dogs. So when you
made personal indictments about me or the shelter, based solely on one entry
in Petfinder, I think you went a little overboard. It would have been more
appropriate to write and say that the entry offended you, make a donation
for the dog (or an offer to adopt), and ask that we change the dog's name
and description.

I do apologize if I offended anyone's sensibilities, but I seriously hope
you understand I was trying to get help for that dog. I would beg ONE of you
to step up to the plate and do it, now that you have been drawn to his
plight. No one else who has read his entry (and Petfinder says there have
been numerous) has cared enough to even write.

Obviously, you all care. Now, PLEASE HELP US HELP THE DOG FORMERLY KNOWN AS
FUGLY.

I'll make you a deal. If any of you want to save this dog, I will personally
drive him to you. I don't care how many states away you are; I will get him
to you if you want to save his life.

Most sincerely, and with love for all creatures, great and small,

Meg

Flatcoatluver
05-08-2006, 03:41 PM
She doesn't appear to be in any pain, and if you would like to donate to have her eye treated, I'm sure she would appreciate it. At the present time, we do not have funds for non-life-threatening medical ailments (we recently had a gun-shot dog and a pregnant dog with a prolapsed vagina come in), but if you donate to her, we will make sure the money goes to treat her. If we get more than she needs, we will use it for other animal's medical needs.
I wish I could donate, how would I do it, to I send them money in the mail?? Should I donate?

Roxyluvsme13
05-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Poor Fugly, and they're still calling him MRS..

lute
05-08-2006, 05:15 PM
God i wish i could foster him, adopt him, something! especailly if she is offering to drive him to the adopter! i don't even know of anyone preasantly looking for a dog. **if someone from PT adopts him i will pay the $105 adoption fee!**

slleipnir
05-08-2006, 06:43 PM
The ad is gone now, so I never got to see it...

There was a dog at my HS when I was younger. I think he was a big lab. His name was "Little Dumbo Who Tried" seemed like a dumb name

lute
05-08-2006, 07:01 PM
his ad is gone!! :eek: :( he may be dead already! monday is their euth. day! will someone call tomarrow and see if he is still alive?

Alysser
05-08-2006, 07:03 PM
:(No :( I can't believe he's gone.

Flatcoatluver
05-08-2006, 07:08 PM
:eek: OMG!!! :eek: say it isn't so!!!! :(

shihtzulover850
05-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Oh NOOOOOOO!! HE CAN'T BE GONE!!!!! :( I WISH I COULD ADOPT HIM BUT I JUST CAN'T. :( :( :( :( :( :(