PDA

View Full Version : Laminitis

Tralee
05-03-2006, 06:28 PM
About two weeks ago my 19 year old mare, Tralee, got cast in her stall and the wall came down on her, she was ok except she got a 4 inch scarp on her left hind near her hock. For the past week and a half or so since her getting cast she has been a lame on her hind legs. Some days would be better than others. Saturday she was finally about 98% sound and on Monday we noticed she was lame on the front.She has never had any lameness issues on the front before. Tuesday still lame. Today the vet came out and examined her and she she may have some minor laminitis, because he felt a pulse and heat in both front legs. Laminitis is caused by an imbalance in carbs, and can be life threatening. She normally get 6 qts of grain aday and the vet said she needs to be on no grain and only hay to shock her system. She has to be given some pills and bute twice a day orally. We caught it soon enough that she will make a full recovery and I may be able to start riding her this weekend again.

On a slightly better note last time the vet was here he gave the Aokay to breed her, so we may breed her next year, so the foal will grow up while i'm in collage!!

Chilli
05-03-2006, 07:31 PM
She'll be in my thoughts for a quick recovery!! :) I'm glad you all caught it before it got too bad. :D

Miss Z
05-04-2006, 12:53 PM
I really hope she's OK! As long as it's only mild laminitis she should recover OK:) . Good luck with giving her the oral bute, I know that horses like to mess you about when taking things orally, LOL!

Toby's my baby
05-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Good luck!! I hope she gets better!! Just wondering, I've only owned geldings, and only owned a mare for about a month before, but isn't a 19 yr old getting up there for breeding?? Or no?

Tralee
05-04-2006, 08:59 PM
yes it is alittle bit older but we have spoken to the vet and he said she is okay to breed.She is in extremely good shape. If we really want to commit to it she has to get some tests done to makesure she can have a foal. The hardest part will be getting her pregnent because she would be a maiden mare and an older mare.