View Full Version : new puppy for a day

sabies
05-03-2002, 10:33 AM
My neighbor's little boy found a puppy somewhere and brought him home to his house - but his mom is terrified of dogs. I offered to take the puppy to a shelter where my friend volunteers (I know she'll find a good home there). BUT I had to keep the dog overnight.

Those who work in shelters, how do you do it?? In one night I thought I was the only one who could properly care for this puppy and that she needed me. Truth is, she is young, cute, and attaches quickly to whoever shows her love.

In the shelter I almost cried handing her in cause I felt like I was giving up on her. They guess she is 8 weeks old and looks like a german shephard mix - actually she doesn't look like a mix at all! They named her Peggy, which I'm not thrilled with but it's not for me to say :(.

I made a web site of pictures - in one picture it looks like my Sadie didn't mind the pup but in the other you can see Sadie trying to get away from her. Sadie was NOT happy. I don't think she understood puppy energy!

Here's the web site:
puppy pictures here (http://www.jennapito.com/puppy/default.htm)

and here's another picture:
http://www.jennapito.com/puppy/Peggy.jpg

Gio
05-03-2002, 10:41 AM
She's absolutely gorgeous. If I could only come and get her.:(
I can understand Sadie, my two adult cats vere not too happy when I brought the little one home, he just drove them crazy since he had (still has :) loads of energy to spare. Mind you they get on fine now.

I think people who work in shelters always end up taking more than one home with them or try to get family and friends to adopt some... and cry buckets for the rest.

Logan
05-03-2002, 10:43 AM
Oh my..........Jenn, it is hard to be strong, isn't it? I know she'll find a perfect home. So glad you had the contact with the shelter. BUT....I completely understand that feeling of "but my home would be best". When I found Dexter, a year and half ago, I really, really wanted to keep him. Lots of folks on this board lived through that with me. I was lucky in that I mentioned him to a friend, who one week later, came to see him, and of course, he went home with him! They are best of friends, and Dexter is thriving under Mike's care. Of course, I didn't do so well when Butter came wandering up. So he stayed! :o But a cat is "usually" a lot easier to care for than a dog. Maybe not in Butter's case, but he's here to stay!

I'm so glad you got the pictues. I almost cried looking at the little girl in the bathtub!! What a precious little baby she will be for just the right family.

Logan

Dixieland Dancer
05-03-2002, 11:05 AM
What a beautiful puppy! And you even gave her a bath! I am sure she will find a great home. :) And maybe you can find out where she goes and visit her!

mugsy
05-03-2002, 01:24 PM
You are talking to the queen of "my home is best" attitude, or we wouldn't have 15 dogs right? lol I don't blame you for wanting to keep her, she is a beauty and looks super sweet. I'm sure they will find a great home for her very quickly. Tell your friend to keep us informed please.

sasvermont
05-03-2002, 02:37 PM
It is my understanding that most shelters have no problems finding homes for puppies and kittens, just the older animals.

I think you did the right thing by taking it someplace where it will have a good home eventually.

Keep us posted, if you decide to track the pup through its adoption.

You did good!

delidog
05-04-2002, 06:06 AM
oh, i pray that your shelter is not a kill facility...which one in jersey city??? when i lived there,they were all kill facilities....quite a few years ago....
the pics are precious...the bath is priceless!!!!!!!!!!
hope that she finds a good forever home soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-04-2002, 07:04 AM
:( oh Jenn .... what a hard decision you had to take there ...
The puppy looks so cute !!!!! You did the right thing you know !! Took much courage of you to do it !!!
I am sure that this sweetie will be adopted in no time !!!!
Keep us posted , will you ? !!:)

Cincy'sMom
05-04-2002, 07:10 AM
What an adorable pup!!! Hopefully she will find a good home soon!

anna_66
05-04-2002, 07:53 AM
What a beautiful pup! I know just how you felt taking it to the shelter. A couple of years ago someone came and dumped a puppy in our fence! Can you believe that? Takes some guts, guess they thought we could take care of it. Anyway, we took it to the shelter, and there happened to be a man with his kids & they had just lost a dog and were looking for a good big dog! What a concidence! He took him right out of Marks hand & took him home! He was a good dog, we kept him for 2 weeks, it was so hard to give him up! Here's a pic of the pup with Keisha
wasn't he a cutie? But much bigger than the one you had.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid19/p9dd984647cc5a0e073247d45138742d5/fdc7f3a7.jpg

sabies
05-04-2002, 09:51 AM
anna_66 that pup is so cute! About the Jersey City shelters, there is one that attempted to be no kill very recently but even more recent they had some big problems, I think they had to start euthanizing, I'm not really sure so shouldn't say. I don't trust the JC shelters so that's one reason I took the puppy off my neighbor's hands. My friend volunteers at PAWS in Montclair so the puppy is there (I had to say the pup was found in that area and I hate lying :(, I think they knew I was). While I don't know if it is a kill shelter or not, I am able to keep track of the puppy there and will keep everyone updated.

This puppy is soooo cute that I know she will have a good home soon. Regardless she must stay in the shelter for 7 days :( since she was a stray (their rules).

tatsxxx11
05-04-2002, 04:37 PM
What a precious baby!!! And what a wonderful thing you have done! I have a feeling this is one story that will have a happy ending:) Your pictures are adorable!!!! I loved the bath shot! Oh, what a CUTIE PIE!!! Bless you little one!

delidog
05-04-2002, 09:34 PM
oh sabies!!! you sssoooo did the right thing...i didn't realize that you took him out to montclair...don't worry...that was a good lie...the people probably knew...but as rescue workers...i am sure that their hearts wouldn't let them say no......he'll find a home fast...i adopted a dog at the montclair shelter many years ago....she was a little corgi...named taffy...we loved her for 15 or 16 years!!!
glad that you can go and visit the puppyhood!!!!!
you are such a good person...what a big heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sabies
05-13-2002, 10:49 PM
Here's some good news to offset the bad news that has plagued pet talk lately.

The puppy I found was in the shelter, actually in a foster home, for the required one week but she is now in her forever home. I thought she would have a home right away and I'm glad it worked out that way.

Gio
05-14-2002, 06:47 AM
This is wonderful news! I agree, we needed something like this.