PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Or Molly?

BC_MoM
05-03-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm going with my friend this weekend to a horse show.. and she told me to bring one of the dogs.. but I'm not sure which one to bring!

Reason to bring Molly:
- Socialization to people, crazy environments, and other animals (horses)
- Bonding time

Reason not to bring Molly:
- Might be very barky and obnoxious, could startle horses
- Might stress herself out with all of the excitement

Reason to bring Mickey:
- I haven't done much alone with him for a while
- We could use the bonding time

Reason not to bring Mickey:
- Might get too nervous, also suffers from minor car sickness (nausea)

What do you guys think?

Roxyluvsme13
05-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Well, I dunno, :p. I would say Mickey, because Molly is more likely to scare the horses.

lv4dogs
05-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Well, I dunno, :p. I would say Mickey, because Molly is more likely to scare the horses.

I agree. You don't want to ruin all the fun for everyone else and possibly causing an injury.

dab_20
05-03-2006, 04:37 PM
I would say bring Mickey. You would want Molly to scare the horses, that can end up to be very dangerous.

Tralee
05-03-2006, 04:41 PM
I would say bring Mickey 100%! Horse shows aren't the best place to bring a dogs that needs socialization, she could try and socialize with a horse and get kicked! Both my dogs spend a lot of time around horses and at barns and Lady is much calmer than Toby, therefore better around horses than Toby. You don't want Molly to get board and start barking and other things, since she will have to be on a leash at all time, that can spook the horses.

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-03-2006, 05:32 PM
I'd take Mickey, for sure. Molly, like you said, might startle the horses. It would be great socializing for her, but if she's loud and full of excitement I think it would be best not to take her around horses. That's just my opinion of course though...if it were me, I probably wouldn't bring a dog at all just because you nevr know how they or the horses will react.

Toby's my baby
05-03-2006, 05:58 PM
From a person that show's horses point of view... PLEASE PLEASE bring Mickey!! There is NOTHING worst than being in front of a judge, and having a dog bark, and having your horse freak out, NOTHING. Molly could very easily get kicked if not cautious around horses. You have to keep in mind the riders and thier horses too. A lot of the horses there, could possibly be from a stable, where they are not used to having dogs around. Thankfully, my horse that I have now (austin), is used to having dogs run between his legs and give him kisses, but any dog, can tick off any horse. Austin kicked Maggie in the head last year, and she broke her jaw, even though Austin is used to Maggie, it was just a freak thing, and he's never kicked at her since. Please, for everyones saftey, if you are going to bring a dog, please bring Mickey! :)

Alysser
05-03-2006, 06:01 PM
I agree! You should bring Mickey. Horse show horses may kick Molly as said before. I would get her more socailized before you bring her to such events. Also, she could be a distraction during the show. Have fun! and take pics! :)

Tralee
05-03-2006, 06:17 PM
On second thought I would reconmend not bringing any dogs, because that is one less reponsibility you have and you could spend more time being a groom for your friend. IMO dogs are a big hassel at horse shows if you want to be involved with the horse.

BC_MoM
05-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Alright... I think I'll bring... Mickey. :p Majority rules. I'm glad you guys chose him. I was hoping you would! :D

One of the pros of western horses (or most, the ones I've been around) are much more relaxed than english horses and aren't so tempermental in the same way.

On second thought I would reconmend not bringing any dogs, because that is one less reponsibility you have and you could spend more time being a groom for your friend. IMO dogs are a big hassel at horse shows if you want to be involved with the horse.

I don't think they're a big hassel unless they're causing problems. Lots of people around here bring young pups (younger than Molly, the age when they sleep more) and older, calm dogs to shows. I'm not going to be standing "behind the scenes" the whole time, and there will be times when I'm alone.. which I don't want to be.

Tralee
05-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Alright... I think I'll bring... Mickey. :p Majority rules. I'm glad you guys chose him. I was hoping you would! :D

One of the pros of western horses (or most, the ones I've been around) are much more relaxed than english horses and aren't so tempermental in the same way.

I don't think they're a big hassel unless they're causing problems. Lots of people around here bring young pups (younger than Molly, the age when they sleep more) and older, calm dogs to shows. I'm not going to be standing "behind the scenes" the whole time, and there will be times when I'm alone.. which I don't want to be.

Well I guess the dressage world is different than the western world....

dab_20
05-03-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm glad you'll bring Mickey... we need pictures! It's true, western horses sometimes tend to be a little more low key.

zoomer
05-03-2006, 11:03 PM
I would say Mickey, although be careful with her care sickness and be sure to comfort her. Molly might startle them and you don't want her ruining the show.