PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on Cat food?

CultureJunky
05-03-2006, 06:17 AM
I'm interested to know how much people on PT spend on cat food every month. I have two cats and I think I spend around under £ 6 - 8 pounds a month on food for them. 6 tins of food costs between £1.90 to around £2.90 depending on what brand you buy, I mix it up cause Jack likes a variety.

Sunny does eat food but is more of a biscuit monster and mostly eats biscuits. She has Whiskas and sometimes Brekkies, or if there is an offer on I'll buy her something different. Biscuits cost around £2.00 for a 1kg bag.

I'm interestd to know what others buy on here, what brands are favourites and how much you spend a month on your furries. Obviously the bigger the family the more you spend. I'd like to know so I could work out how much more I would spend if I had more cats! (I can dream :D )

Laura's Babies
05-03-2006, 08:55 AM
I buy that large bag of Science Diet once a month and if Rie runs low before we get to PetSmart she will come get some from me (I don't mind since she feeds Chester half the time anyway). That bag is what? $25 to $30? That reminds me, I am low and treats though.....

*JTM*Coco*pi*Caramel*
05-03-2006, 09:02 AM
For 2 cats:

For pouches about 40 dollars a month
Hard Food about 30 dollars a month

and then there are treats lol! Lots of treats!

catlover4ever
05-03-2006, 09:32 AM
For 8 cats I go through roughly 190 cans of cat food a month and around 8 3lb bags of hard kitty food so I'm around $100.00 a month for cat food.....you don't want to know how much I spend for cat litter ;) :o :o

Craftlady
05-03-2006, 09:33 AM
4 cats... 20 lb bag 1 1/2 months it lasts. We buy at Petsmart $26/$28 dollars. I dont buy treats. Our gang doesnt like them.

catmandu
05-03-2006, 09:36 AM
For The 14 Found Ctas the last bill was 130.
And that will do for probably 2 Months.
I would say with Litter 100 Dollars a Month.
Thank God for Coupons and Deal.

sirrahbed
05-03-2006, 12:08 PM
For six cats, a 20# bag of food lasts about a week - so at $8-10 a bag, the bill comes to about $40 a month.

I buy a bag of Temptations only once in awhile and it will last about a month or so - I give them each only 2-3 nibbles at a time.

Cat litter - omegosh I don't want to think about that :eek:

RedHedd
05-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Mishi's prescription diet is about $20 a month; Mitzi's off-the-shelf Science Diet runs about $10, so that's about $30 a month plus whatever treats I pick up for them.

lv4dogs
05-03-2006, 01:00 PM
With my 2 cats, Meko & Tiki I would usually spend about $30 for kibble (actually lasts a little longer than a month) & $10-25 on cans (depending on if I buy decent cans or just whiskas or the like).

When I am fostering a kitten(s) I probably spend about $20-$40, as I have to buy formula, special canned food & kibble.

Of course my cat population just doubled a couple weeks ago so I am not quite sure how much I will go through now.

jenluckenbach
05-03-2006, 02:13 PM
DON'T ASK! :eek:

Lizzie
05-03-2006, 03:09 PM
My monthly budget sheet states $250 for 14 cats, which covers a bag of vet food and Royal Cannin for most. They don't get treats because they don't need them and I'd rather put those dollars into getting the best food. When they are really sick, very old, etc., they get deli foods like grilled chicken and honey roasted turkey breast (I'm vegan and it would nauseate me to cook meat now) to stimulate their appetite and just to give them something special. I do have to spend more on litter now that I've moved away from the clay-based ones.

On top of this, I buy a bag of Purina dry food for the cat next door because my neighbors think it's funny that their stupid big dogs won't let the cat get near his dish. And I buy cat food at this time of year for the crows that I feed on campus. It's the best food for them when they are feeding their young and in winter.

Needless to say, my food bills are lower than the cat food bills, though I do love food.

Edited to add that I also feed Fancy Feast to several cats that need wet food as well as dry. I'd like to find something they like, that's high quality and comes in larger cans, so a bit cheaper - any suggestions?

Crazy-Cat-Lover
05-03-2006, 03:38 PM
I buy the 20 pound bag of Felidae for $40.00. It should last me a well over a month with three cats.

The Cat Factory
05-03-2006, 03:58 PM
I feed Felidae, and I usually spend $20, somtimes $30 a month.

CultureJunky
05-03-2006, 04:04 PM
That all sounds pretty reasonable I guess in dollars I spend about $19 which isn't too bad.
Are there any cats on here that are only a dry diet as in biscuits, royal canin, science plan etc.
I have thought about getting Sunny her own bag of better food than whiskas such as James Wellbeloved (which is a British dry complete cat food)or Purina one etc. It is very expensive though she does eat little amounts so may be worth thinking about.
Jack prefers meat/wet food, do you think I'd have a problem converting him to dry food, he eats probably 3 times as much as Sunny he has a big big appetite and is always hanging around for food, and always in the kitchen asking for more even if he's just been fed!
I know that dry diets have all the vitamens and minerals they need to keep them healthy, though I like the thought of Jack having meat as cats are carnivors by nature and like meat.

jenluckenbach
05-03-2006, 06:42 PM
I have 1 cat on a canned food diet. Amber has gum problems (stomatitis) and even with medication to reduce swelling, it hurts her to eat dry. :(

I have 2 cats who won't eat dry unless I mix it with a little canned food.

Other than that, the 13 others eat strictly dry. Lucas is on prescription Eukanuba Low Residue for his IBS, Rutherford is on Prescription Hill's x/d to prevent caliciun oxylate crystals, and the others are on Hill's Prescription c/d (which I mix with Pro Plan urinary tract formula).

Oh yeah, and don't forget I feed foster cats too. :rolleyes:

G535
05-03-2006, 08:25 PM
For one cat it's about $20(AU) a month, that's mostly Whiskas tinned food and a 2kg box of dry food.

That must be the first time I've ever considered what it costs a month for my cat, I'd pay double or more if I had to. :)

Sevaede
05-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Well, let's see. I have two cats and just switched over their food to Royal Canin. That was a 3.5 lb bag (I *think*, not sure. I know it was the smaller of the two.) and it cost 14.96 plus 8.6 percent tax. They only get treats sporadically mainly because they are picky and don't really like anything except Whiskas Temptations (three dollars for a small pouch) and some moist treats (two dollars per pouch, ever other month or so). Litter (Feline Pine) is $20 for the bag that we just got. It's a huge bag, though. So... it works out to be 40.23 for this month, I believe.

Edit: This bag of FP should last for a month and a half or so.

Glacier
05-04-2006, 09:28 AM
About 150 a month for 8 cats. 100 of that is for their prescription food--one 20 pound bag of C/D a month and a case of the canned c/d. The rest is other kinds of canned food.

slick
05-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Well, with only Max now, my bill is cut way down. It really only costs me about $30 a month to feed him - a buck a day, if that.

As for litter, the last time I bought some was November/05 and I still have 1/2 a bag left. I find that Max pees less since he's the only cat now. I've heard that a cat living in a multi-cat environment will pee more to try and mark his/her territory. Don't know if that's true but now I only have to scoop once a day. Sorry, that's getting off topic... :o

may51380
05-04-2006, 03:52 PM
I spend about 30.00 a month for my 3 cats. I buy the big bag of Iams Weight Control/Hairball Control. (dry food only) Add in for the treats and cat nip and toys, comes to about 50.00 a month.