PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever watched.....?

shihtzulover850
05-02-2006, 08:41 AM
Has anybody ever seen Cesar Milan the Dog Whisperer on National Geographic channel??? If not it comes on every Friday @ 8 est. It is a really cool show where this guy goes and helps dog owners train their dogs.(maybe not train but sort of help them along) He calms them down and teaches them not to be vicious or mean!! It's really interesting to watch his techniques on handling these dogs!! :D ;) :p :) :rolleyes: :cool:

Shihtzulover850 and the shih tzu that I love, Snuggles

anna_66
05-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Sure do! I watch it every week:D

IRescue452
05-02-2006, 09:32 AM
I really don't like some of his training techniques. He practices hanging without telling the viewers or the owners that this could cause severe damage to the trachea and he held a 20 pound adult dog by the scruff of the neck with no body support which is unnecessary when he could have used other submissive training techniques. The only thing he does right is NILIF. All he really does is control the dogs through dominance, which anybody could do.

K9soul
05-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Well I think no matter what, there will always be people who agree or disagree with certain techniques. What Cesar does is not actual training though, i.e. sit, stay, down, he teaches people how to be calm, assertive leaders to their dogs which is the root of a vast majority of dog behavioral problems.

I also have to say, he puts the leash/collar up right behind the dog's ears and under their chin, so if they lunge/pull it is not pressing against their pharynx and choking them, and this also controls the dog's head more which is what the purpose of halti and gentle leader is, just without a muzzle strap.

I really like how he emphasizes that a big problem with many dogs too is they are not getting the exercise and/or mental stimulation that they need, another BIG cause of behavioral problems. Especially big strong working type breeds. I think the idea of a walk with a backpack for a big strong dog with excess energy is a very good one. It gives him a purpose, a job to do, something to focus on. Rollerblading with dogs looks fun too :D.

A lot of the cases he works on are very severe cases with dogs biting people or trying to kill other dogs or just really making life unbearable, and I think he really does well in teaching people how a dog's mind works and that leadership + adequate exercise makes a happy, content dog.

Needless to say, I think he has a lot to offer people and have really enjoyed watching his shows.

zoomer
05-02-2006, 10:16 AM
I watch it sometimes, well, I watched it once :o I think I will watch it more often though. I think he needs to come and help Buddy :rolleyes:

shihtzulover850
05-02-2006, 10:22 AM
I agree with K9SOUL.

shihtzulover850
05-02-2006, 12:03 PM
I watch it sometimes, well, I watched it once :o I think I will watch it more often though. I think he needs to come and help Buddy :rolleyes: HaHahahahahaha!!! :D

BC_MoM
05-02-2006, 12:10 PM
I will quote a friend of mine..

"I greatly discourage anyone from trying Milan's methods. While he has some good suggestions about leadership and not babying dogs, his actual methods are generally too harsh imo. I've seen him give strong leash correction *on a head halter* which is never a good idea due to injury risks to the neck and associated parts - head halters are designed to guide and prevent behavior in conjunction with training, not as a correctional device alone.

In addition, check out the body language of the dogs he works with, if you've read Turid Ruugas' books you'll recognize that the dogs are throwing off calming signals like crazy - they are *not* comfortable with the methods they are forced to endure and are obviously distressed imo. Milan is lucky he has the strength to pull off such corrections and treatment, especially on headstrong/physically powerful dogs.

Episodes are also heavily edited, so viewers don't see the whole process, which can cause problems all its own. There is a disclaimer on the show to not try the methods shown on your own too btw."

I agree with her 110%.

elizabethann
05-02-2006, 12:20 PM
I don't get the NG channel. :(

shihtzulover850
05-02-2006, 01:21 PM
I have seen a couple of episodes were I wondered a little about how safe the process is but overall I think he does an amazing job. He knows a lot about dogs but a lot of times the scenario could have been prevented if the OWNER had been more careful and considerate of the particular breed. :)

shihtzulover850
05-03-2006, 09:21 AM
I don't get the NG channel. :( To bad!!
:( There is some really cool stuff on it sometimes!! :(

elizabethann
05-05-2006, 08:40 AM
This was on a local news website today:

LOS ANGELES -- A television producer is suing dog trainer Cesar Millan, star of TV's "The Dog Whisperer," claiming that his Labrador retriever was injured at Millan's LA training facility after being suffocated by a choke collar and forced to run on a treadmill.

"Eight Simple Rules" producer Flody Suarez said he took 5-year-old Gator to the Dog Psychology Center on Feb. 27 to deal with fears of other dogs and strangers.

Hours later, Suarez claims, a worker called to inform him the animal had been rushed to a veterinarian. The suit claims he later found the dog "bleeding from his mouth and nose, in an oxygen tent gasping for breath and with severe bruising to his back inner thighs."

The facility's workers allegedly placed a choke collar on the dog, pulled him onto a treadmill and forced him to "overwork." Suarez says he spent at least $25,000 on medical bills and the dog must undergo more surgeries for damage to his esophagus.

The complaint claims breach of contract, fraud, animal cruelty and intentional infliction of emotional distress, among other allegations. It seeks more than $25,000 in damages.

lute
05-05-2006, 12:35 PM
i LOVE cesar! he's awesome! :D i never miss an episode. i want to go to one of his seminars, but he's never real close to me. :(

shihtzulover850
05-05-2006, 12:38 PM
i LOVE cesar! he's awesome! :D i never miss an episode. i want to go to one of his seminars, but he's never real close to me. :(
Really you do? It is really neat hearing what everyone thinks of his techniques. I could not believe that about him being sued. Did he actually hurt the dog or was it one of his employees???!!! :D

lute
05-05-2006, 12:47 PM
This was on a local news website today:

LOS ANGELES -- A television producer is suing dog trainer Cesar Millan, star of TV's "The Dog Whisperer," claiming that his Labrador retriever was injured at Millan's LA training facility after being suffocated by a choke collar and forced to run on a treadmill.

"Eight Simple Rules" producer Flody Suarez said he took 5-year-old Gator to the Dog Psychology Center on Feb. 27 to deal with fears of other dogs and strangers.

Hours later, Suarez claims, a worker called to inform him the animal had been rushed to a veterinarian. The suit claims he later found the dog "bleeding from his mouth and nose, in an oxygen tent gasping for breath and with severe bruising to his back inner thighs."

The facility's workers allegedly placed a choke collar on the dog, pulled him onto a treadmill and forced him to "overwork." Suarez says he spent at least $25,000 on medical bills and the dog must undergo more surgeries for damage to his esophagus.

The complaint claims breach of contract, fraud, animal cruelty and intentional infliction of emotional distress, among other allegations. It seeks more than $25,000 in damages.

OMG! i didn't see this till now. it was one of Cesar's employees, not cesar. this employee should be the one getting sued. i'm sure this will do some damage to Cesar's business and it's not fair that someone's stupidity to cost him.

i hope the dog is ok. :(

bckrazy
05-05-2006, 01:50 PM
IMO, no one should send their dogs a training facility, period. That kind of horrible stuff happens daily, I've met people whose dogs have come back with lacerations from cattle prods/constantly wearing strong shock collars. :(

I also agree, there is something just not right about Cesar Milan. I'm not saying he isn't great with dogs, but I HATE how the show makes it seem like, magically after 5 minutes with this guy, all of a dog's behavior issues can be cured. Dogs require work, and you can't become a leader to your dog in 3 easy steps! I do like that at least Cesar is showing people that behavior issues can be improved, hopefully discouraging people from just giving up on their dogs.

lute
05-05-2006, 01:59 PM
I also agree, there is something just not right about Cesar Milan. I'm not saying he isn't great with dogs, but I HATE how the show makes it seem like, magically after 5 minutes with this guy, all of a dog's behavior issues can be cured. Dogs require work, and you can't become a leader to your dog in 3 easy steps! I do like that at least Cesar is showing people that behavior issues can be improved, hopefully discouraging people from just giving up on their dogs.

i agree about the show making people think that this guy can make all your dog's problems disapear in 5 mins, but Cesar does explain in a lot of episodes that he only starts the dog off. it's up to the family to make it happen long term.

shihtzulover850
05-06-2006, 02:49 PM
He has a book. I think it is called My Way, not sure. Looks interesting. I would like to get it. I haven't been able to watch lately, been to busy. lol :rolleyes: :D

shihtzulover850
05-06-2006, 02:53 PM
It is really interesting seeing what people think about him. You are right about the five min. thing but over all I think he's cool. I wouldn't send my dog to a training facility though. :)

shihtzulover850
05-12-2006, 11:18 AM
The book is called Cesar's Way not My way.