PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't Like Collar

emc
05-01-2006, 10:41 PM
How does one get puppy to co-operate when getting his collar put on? Eg. sqirming, nipping and even snarling. Thanks

http://www.waterart.ipfox.com

luvofallhorses
05-01-2006, 11:02 PM
first of all, welcome! :) how old is the puppy?

emc
05-01-2006, 11:15 PM
This isn't my puppy so I don't know how old it is but I'm assuming it's young maybe 10-12 weeks old. Anyway how would one go about stopping this kind of behavior when the collar is being put on.

cyber-sibes
05-02-2006, 12:25 AM
I'd try two things - first, let the puppy get used to the colar. put it down, let him sniff it and check it out, so he knows it won't do anything to him. Do this off & on for a day or two. Next, I would get a second person to help- one person can scratch his ears, talk to him, & hold his attention while a second person slips the collar around his neck. (assuming this is a buckling collar & not a choke chain). It just takes a little patience!
*edit* oh- & reward the puppy while his collar is on - give him a little treat, take him out, make it fun. Try putting it off & on a couple times a day (followed by treats) so he associates it with good things happening!

Ginger's Mom
05-02-2006, 03:40 AM
Hehe, I had this problem with Ginger (no snarling, just sqirming and nipping). I asked at one of our puppy training sessions, and the trainer got one of the collars that snaps on instead of buckles and I held her so she couldn't run while the trainer put it on and off about twenty-five times in a row. Then we let Ginger run around a little and did it again about twenty-five times. Just that one session worked. She was no longer nervous when I put her collar on.

Lori Jordan
05-02-2006, 09:12 AM
I had the same problem with Storm he wasnt nipping or snarling he was screaming like i was hurting him,all i did was i started talking to him gave him a toy and he was occupied with that and put the colar on.