PDA

View Full Version : Maggie got hit by a car... :(

Toby's my baby
05-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Ugg...I really don't want to post this, because it makes me sick to my stomach to think about again. The picture keeps replaying in my mind.

We drove out the road to meet the bus today, and the dogs chased the car out, like they used to. Lately we have been putting them in the house when we leave, and having someone let them out after we are all long gone, but today nobody was home, so we had to just leave them outside. We were waiting at the end of the road in the car, and Maggie was laying on the driveway beside the car. I van drove by, and usually maggie will run at the car when it drives by, but today...she was a little bit early.

Before anything happened, my mom saw the car coming and told my sister to grab Maggie before she got hit. So my sister got out of the car to grab her, but Maggie wouldn't listen to her commands to come. Maggie ran out in the road, and all you heard was a boom and a yelp. The car didn't even try to stop before it hit her. The bus was just about ready to stop when she got hit, so me and my sister couldn't look her over. The lady who hit Maggie turned around an came an apologized. I called my mom when I got to school to find out what happend. The lady came back all shooken up, and was apologizing for hitting her. She said that she thought that Maggie was just going to stay laying by the car, and not give chase. Maggie is perfectly fine, no broken bones, not even soar. She isn't limping or anything. I feel so bad, this could have been prevented. I was so worried, because my best friends dog Tika got hit by a car on Friday and died.

We went to town tonight to by tie-outs for both Maggie and Autumn, so that they can't go out the road and be in danger. I feel bad for tieing them up, but it's better to be safe, than to have a dead dog. Hope you guys understand this was a freak accident!

k9krazee
05-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Oh my :( :eek: I am SO happy that shes okay! Sheesh, what a LUCKY, LUCKY pup...but she may not be so lucky next time... :(

I'm glad you went and got tie outs, they will be much safer!!

luvofallhorses
05-01-2006, 08:08 PM
poor Maggie. :( I am SO glad she's alright!

cyber-sibes
05-01-2006, 08:11 PM
I feel bad for tieing them up, but it's better to be safe, than to have a dead dog. Hope you guys understand this was a freak accident!
Been following your posts about this problem, I think many of us felt it was only a matter of time before one of them was bound to get hit. Glad to see you are taking serious steps to prevent this from happening again. I disagree about it being a freak accident, though. Dogs are killed by cars every day, you are very fortunate she wasn't injured or killed.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Oh, gosh... I'm SO glad that your Maggie has absolutely no injuries! What a miracle! :eek:
Give her a hug for me! :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-01-2006, 08:22 PM
:( Poor Maggie...I'm sure you know this, but you're extremely lucky she wasn't seriously injured. I'm not upset with you and I hope you don't take this the wrong way but why couldn't the dogs stay inside the house if nobody was home?? In my opinion, it's much safrer for them inside alone than it is outside. My dogs are never out alone when nobody is home. Also, instead of tie-outs, would it be possible for your family to put some sort of fence up just for Maggie and Autumn?

Alysser
05-01-2006, 08:26 PM
When I saw this at first I was so worried! I didn't know what to think. I am so happy Maggie is ok! :eek: Im sorry you had to go through that! I hope it never happens agian. :( Poor baby. I hope she feels better soon.

Jessika
05-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Been following your posts about this problem, I think many of us felt it was only a matter of time before one of them was bound to get hit. Glad to see you are taking serious steps to prevent this from happening again. I disagree about it being a freak accident, though. Dogs are killed by cars every day, you are very fortunate she wasn't injured or killed.
Hmm my thoughts, exactly.

Though I am VERY VERY glad that she is not hurt in any way, but just to be safe I would still bring her in for a checkup, because you can't physically see internal problems or even know they are there until its almost too late

petslover
05-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Oh no. Not Maggie. She has always reminded me of my Ziggy. I really wish her a speedy recovery. I am glad you are taking steps to prevent this problem in the future. Please keep us updated!

Get Well Soon Maggie!

Toby's my baby
05-01-2006, 08:47 PM
:( Poor Maggie...I'm sure you know this, but you're extremely lucky she wasn't seriously injured. I'm not upset with you and I hope you don't take this the wrong way but why couldn't the dogs stay inside the house if nobody was home?? In my opinion, it's much safrer for them inside alone than it is outside. My dogs are never out alone when nobody is home. Also, instead of tie-outs, would it be possible for your family to put some sort of fence up just for Maggie and Autumn?

We couldn't put them in the house, because they are not inside dogs. They have never in their whole lives been in the house when nobody was home. They couldn't be in there when we were gone, because there was no way for anybody to let them out. I know a lot of you disagree with them staying outside all the time, but this is how I was raised (the dogs living outside) and I never knew any different untill I joined PT. I hope you guys can please just be sympathetic, and please not to start an argument. I know you don't mean to get anybody upset, or hurt any feelings, so please, I've tried my best to explain myself about the dogs staying outside, I know that it was terribly mean on me and my families part to allow this to have happend, and I know some of you know how me and my family feel at the moment. It is a horrible thing that happend to Maggie, and we are very very glad that she wasn't badly injured or killed.

Thanks guys.

Jessika
05-01-2006, 08:49 PM
I'm not trying to start an arguement, I'm just honestly curious/confused. Is your yard fenced? Or they just.. run around everywhere outside unless you're home to be with them indoors?

.sarah
05-01-2006, 08:53 PM
just to be safe I would still bring her in for a checkup, because you can't physically see internal problems or even know they are there until its almost too late
Agreed. I would take her to the vet just to be on the safe side.

I am glad she is acting normal. Give her a big kiss from me. :)

Pembroke_Corgi
05-01-2006, 08:54 PM
How horrible!! I'm very glad that she wasn't hurt! I can imagine how you must feel. Give her a hug for me.

Toby's my baby
05-01-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm not trying to start an arguement, I'm just honestly curious/confused. Is your yard fenced? Or they just.. run around everywhere outside unless you're home to be with them indoors?

I understand, thank you Jessika. No our yard is not fenced. Our dogs have always been allowed to go where ever they want, which is usually no where. We live on a HUGE farm, with over 150 acres surrounding us. The highway is about 1/4 of a mile away.

Agreed. I would take her to the vet just to be on the safe side.

I am glad she is acting normal. Give her a big kiss from me

I'm pretty sure we will be taking her to the vet, Autumn has to go in to get her yearly shots, so we will probably take Maggie with us. I will give her a kiss from you too ;)

flamepony12
05-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Wow, how scary! I'm so glad she's alright.

Jessika
05-01-2006, 09:00 PM
I understand, thank you Jessika. No our yard is not fenced. Our dogs have always been allowed to go where ever they want, which is usually no where. We live on a HUGE farm, with over 150 acres surrounding us. The highway is about 1/4 of a mile away.
OK, thanks for clearing that up, that helps. For some reason I had the image of a suburban area like where I used to live and I was horrified at the thought of dogs just running amuck, but if you're on a semi isolated farm with acerage it isn't AS bad, but they do still need to be confined for their own safety. Have you thought of getting a large kennel, or fencing off a part of your yard for them to run around in while they can't be supervised?

sammy101
05-01-2006, 09:04 PM
i'm glad she's ok! :(

. Have you thought of getting a large kennel, or fencing off a part of your yard for them to run around in while they can't be supervised?

I was thinking the same thing. A large fenced off area for them.

Toby's my baby
05-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Have you thought of getting a large kennel, or fencing off a part of your yard for them to run around in while they can't be supervised?

Yes, I have, but my grandpa (whom LOVES animals, and gets mad at us if we even put the dogs on leashes to work with them) and my dad, wont even hear of it. They think that if we are going to have dogs, that they should be able to run free, and if they have to be locked up, then you shouldn't even have them :rolleyes: Of course, I COMPLETLY disagree with this. I would LOVE to get a fence/ kennel. At first I thought, maybe a four foot fence around the yard, but a few days ago, we locked Maggie and Autumn up in the horse barn, and the door is about 5 1/2 feet tall, and Maggie jumped it :eek:. So now I know that we need a taller fence, so that would probably require a kennel. At the moment, I don't have the money to buy a big kennel for them each, but I was wondering... I've heard that if you have two dogs, that are always together, and you lock one up, the other doesn't usually go anywhere..?? is this mostly true, or is it just with some dogs. A friend of mine, has labs, and if they are both untied, they will run away, but if one is tied/ kenneled, the other doesn't ever leave the yard. She switches which one is tied/ kenneled everyday. I was just curious, and thought of this as maybe being an option. My grandpa is always home, (he lives in a trailor house in our yard) and the dogs are usually in his shop in the winter, but now that it is warm out, he is usually working in the garden. I'll have to think about it a bit, buy maybe my grandpa could build a kennel for the dogs to be in. I hope we can figure this out soon..:o

Jessika
05-01-2006, 09:13 PM
If you're going to tie one up, you might as well tie the other up too. Because what if they spot a rabbit or squirrel or something and run after it into the street, etc?

Toby's my baby
05-01-2006, 09:18 PM
If you're going to tie one up, you might as well tie the other up too. Because what if they spot a rabbit or squirrel or something and run after it into the street, etc?

Yeah, I guess you're right. I just went down stairs, and talked to my dad about it, and I got really upset. I can't STAND the way he thinks about my babies. He said that its a waste of time, and I told him that Autumn and Maggie were my whole life, and I loved them so much. I'm so upset right now (not at any of you guys) but at my parents, for not treating this the way that they should. I wish they saw our pets the way we see them. Maggie and Autumn are like my children, and my parents just see them as "pets". :mad: :(

BC_MoM
05-01-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm so glad Maggie's alright. But I totally saw this coming. If it were my dogs, I would have acted before it came to this.. but at least she's alright!

I say rebel against your grandpa and whoever doesn't want you to contain your dogs while you can't watch them. I'd rather have a destroyed house than a dead dog!

carole
05-01-2006, 09:52 PM
oh Dear sounds like a close call , i am so pleased to hear Maggie will be ok, but yes do get her checked, internal injuries are often common and they can end up bleeding to death.

I am sorry to hear your grandpa and parents don't share your views on caring for the dogs, you can only keep telling them how much it means to you and hopefully they will eventually listen, and see how happy it makes you,if you show them how responsible you are with the dogs , surely that will coax them a little to your way of thinking, here's hoping, and i really do feel for you, parents don't always do the right thing in their childrens eyes, and it must be so hard to have different points of view on their care and really have little say in it.

Hugs to you and Maggie.

Toby's my baby
05-01-2006, 10:24 PM
I am sorry to hear your grandpa and parents don't share your views on caring for the dogs, you can only keep telling them how much it means to you and hopefully they will eventually listen, and see how happy it makes you,if you show them how responsible you are with the dogs , surely that will coax them a little to your way of thinking, here's hoping, and i really do feel for you, parents don't always do the right thing in their childrens eyes, and it must be so hard to have different points of view on their care and really have little say in it.

Hugs to you and Maggie.
Thank you so much Carole :)

cyber-sibes
05-01-2006, 11:03 PM
I wish they saw our pets the way we see them. Maggie and Autumn are like my children, and my parents just see them as "pets". :mad: :(
That must be very frustrating for you. :( i know alot of farmers have the opinion that dogs "should" know enough to stick around, and I go by alot of farms nearby and sure enough, there are alot of dogs lying in yards and out in fields. But your two chase cars, quite a different situation. I have nothing against dogs living outside, my two do. They are completly surrounded by 6" kennel fencing that runs between out buildings. Unfortunately when we first moved in, an old barn door where the kennel meets the garage popped open during a storm, and my dogs got out. Rosie was hit by a car and died right in front of my house. :( So believe me, I do know how real the possibility is. (before this, she would always stay right by the house if she got loose). I hope you can convince your family to make a safe, secure area for Maggie & Autumn. It is heartbreaking to loose them.
Will keep paws crossed Maggie will get a clean bill of health at the vets!

trayi52
05-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Glad to hear Maggie is okay. I understand about living on a farm, when I was a little girl, I lived on a farm, but of course my parents let me keep my dogs in the house. Wish you were that lucky, but I do understand that it is not up to you, that it is up to your parents. You will just have to do like Carol said, and who knows, they might just give in!

Willie :)

Toby's my baby
05-02-2006, 06:44 AM
i know alot of farmers have the opinion that dogs "should" know enough to stick around, and I go by alot of farms nearby and sure enough, there are alot of dogs lying in yards and out in fields. But your two chase cars, quite a different situation. !

Just wanted to clear this up, they don't go from the house out to the end of the drive when a car comes by, the only time they "chase" them is when we are waiting for our bus in the morning, and a car drives by. (the run out the driveway when we go to meet the bus in the morning) Otherwise they both stay at home all day, and lounge in the yard.

I hope my parents allow us to get a kennel or fence in a part of the yard...soon.

buttercup132
05-02-2006, 07:01 AM
Awwww poor girl!!!
I'm glad shes not hurt.
What a scare

dab_20
05-02-2006, 07:46 AM
That must've been very scary!! I'm so glad she's alright, and I'm glad your taking action so they don't have a chance to get hit again.

slleipnir
05-02-2006, 07:54 AM
I had a feeling it would happen sooner or later. I remember a post about this a while ago. I think it's a little sad that it took maggie getting hit for you to want to do something to keep them safe (don't get me wrong, I think it's very good you're doing something. A lot of people wouldn't) but all I mean is, we all saw this coming, and what if she had been really injured? She's very lucky if she's not hurt. I'm very happy to hear she's not. And I'm happy to know you'll keep her out of the roads :)

It's maybe not an option for you, but is there anyway to build a fence for them? I had plans to move to the country, and if I do I will have a really big fenced in place for my dogs. I couldn't take chances with them, and this way, they're not tied up and have lots of room to romp. And if I'm around, then can be out and about.

Also, please don't think of this as an "attack". I'm not trying to point fingers or say mean things (even if it looks/sounds like that.) I'm not. I don't think badly of you at all, I'm just putting my opinion.

anna_66
05-02-2006, 08:34 AM
Gosh how terrible:( I do hope that she is still doing alright, I'd hate to think of anything happening to that beautiful girl of yours.
Here's a big {{{HUG}}} for you both.

Pembroke_Corgi
05-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I guess you're right. I just went down stairs, and talked to my dad about it, and I got really upset. I can't STAND the way he thinks about my babies. He said that its a waste of time, and I told him that Autumn and Maggie were my whole life, and I loved them so much. I'm so upset right now (not at any of you guys) but at my parents, for not treating this the way that they should. I wish they saw our pets the way we see them. Maggie and Autumn are like my children, and my parents just see them as "pets". :mad: :(
I know just how you feel! Growing up I lived in the country, and my dad feels the same way as your parents. My parents are now divorced, but when I was 12, I convinced my parents to let me get a dog. I did everything with him, and took him to classes, he was a very good dog. :) But he had to live outside, and my dad is very sensitive to noise and couldn't stand when he made the slightest bark, he made me get rid of him. :( That was one of the saddest days in my life, when I had give up my dog that I spent so much time with. Luckily he went to a great family (where he got to be an indoor dog) and I got to visit him every once and a while until they moved away. I guess I'm just trying to say that I understand that most of this is out of your control, and I know how you feel. I'm glad that you are doing what you can, that's great. Good luck convincing your parents.

shihtzulover850
05-02-2006, 08:45 AM
You shouldn't feel bad tying her up!! If she is going to be running around outside near a highway then I would definetly tie her up!! :eek: :( :) :rolleyes: :cool: :D ;) :p I hope she is ok!!! Good luck talking to your parents!! I am sorry they only see her as a pet!! :(

IRescue452
05-02-2006, 09:36 AM
You really should think of crates when you are not home. Don't ever feel bad for getting tie outs when you are aware that your dogs are car chasers. I don't know what type of area you live in but I would never leave a dog outside when nobody is home. That's how they get stolen or how some teenagers have their fun kicking them- or worse. You got lucky this time.

critter crazy
05-02-2006, 09:44 AM
you realy need to do something!! tying up is not a horrible thing if it is what keeps them safe!! even indoor dogs have risks! no sence in making that risk greater by just letting them run around at large!! We had an unfortunate accident with a dog we used to own 2 years ago. Missy was an inside dog, a beautiful yellow lab puppy of six months when, my then 4 year old son accidentally let her out while i was in the shower and my husband was working in the yard, And she got struck by a car!! right in front of my son!! she just ran out of the house and went straight for the road! It was a horrible thing for my son to whitness!! he has never been the same since. he is very cautious with our dogs, and constantly worries. Thankfully she was killed instantly and we didnt have to see her suffer! but no one should have to go through that!! you got very lucky that your dog did not get hurt! you wont be so lucky the next time!! if you tie your dogs up or at least crate them you will be saving their lives!!

zoomer
05-02-2006, 10:28 AM
OMG... :eek:

That must've been extremely scarey... I am soooooooo glad she is all right, my heart was beating like I'd been running for hours when I saw this board!

She is sooo lucky... soo glad she didn't get hurt....

My Peanuts
05-02-2006, 11:52 AM
So Scary! I'm glad Maggie is ok.

Miss Z
05-02-2006, 12:04 PM
OMG! I'm so glad Maggie is OK, and you too! What a scare!

Lori Jordan
05-02-2006, 12:06 PM
I lost my baby boy RB Bandit to a tragic car accident,and i feel so bad for what has happend to him,he had to be tied he was not good off lead,The night he was killed i was taking him out for his last washroom break i had him out on the leash walking him around he started to pull i tripped and up and over the ditch he went,and within seconds....i rushed him to the vet he was bleeding internally and had broken legs i will never for get that day i had to make the worst decision in my life "To Let him Go" I'm so glad Maggie is ok and good luck on trying to get a fence!!!!!they really do save lives!

dab_20
05-02-2006, 03:47 PM
I'd also have to agree that if a fence is an option for you, then I would build one instead of tying them up. But if it isn't, then tying them up seems the best way to go.

bckrazy
05-02-2006, 11:31 PM
I'm very sorry about Maggie. That must have been so, so scary! For your family and for her.

I feel very bad for you... I also know people who used to have a farmers mentality - dogs will stay on their property, or they'll be killed. Well, honestly, it isn't 1945 anymore! There are lots of cars, lots of hazards, people are less respectful of other people's animals, and for the most part nowhere in our country is loose-dog friendly. My sister's aunt and uncle have Australian Cattle Dogs working on their huge cattle ranch, they're extremely obedient and loyal dogs, and very friendly to people they know. However, after 3 of them chased and bit (not severely at all, but enough for lawsuits and fines!) passerby's they started to reconsider fencing in the front of their property. Before they got that up, their favorite girl, who mothered 2 amazing litters, was killed very painfully by a truck. She didn't chase it, she was just on the roadside hanging out. Now, they're adament about keeping their beloved pets/working dogs either in a secure pen or indoors when no one is with them, AND they fenced in their property. These are farming people who are very "oldschool", but they totally changed their ways after realizing the world is not a nice place for roaming animals. It really sucks that some people think it's cruel to keep dogs inside or in a secure kennel, but they think it isn't cruel to subject them to cars, cruel people, cold/hot weather, etc etc!

Since you have a fence-jumper, I recommend a pen like this (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 8489&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302035803&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1146629948969&itemNo=0&In=Dog&N=2035803&Ne=2) because it can fit both dogs happily inside, and it's secure. They need to be in a secure area while they're alone outside, period. I kind of get miffed when people say "...well, that's just what everyone does in my town." But how many dogs have died from being hit by cars, or have run away, in your town? I know you know better, but definitely stay strong and keep nagging your parents! If you save up money to pay for the kennel, will they really deny you of that? You say that your pups just lay around when no one's home... meaning, they really aren't utlizing that 150 acres. So, what's the difference if you're keeping them in a large safe area where they can hang out safely while you're gone?

BOBS DAD
05-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Greetings,

I am just catching this thread now. I have seen you post before and if you don't mind, How Olds Are You?

If you are a juvenile (catching bus), then I guess you are just stuck with living by Mom and Dad's rules. But if you are 18 years (or around) old, maybe you can convince your parents to give you a chance to show that you can make them good house dogs. Maybe a summer job to show additional responsibility on your part. I don't know... just something to make them think about giving you more freedom to decide what's in your dogs best interests!!! Good luck! :D

trayi52
05-03-2006, 07:24 AM
I agree, Bobs Dad! Good point!

Willie :)

cyber-sibes
05-03-2006, 07:35 AM
Since you have a fence-jumper, I recommend a pen like this (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 8489&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302035803&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1146629948969&itemNo=0&In=Dog&N=2035803&Ne=2) because it can fit both dogs happily inside, and it's secure.
...and economical! The kennel you posted is really modestly priced. You could point this out to your parents, too. The kennel we use is quite a bit more $. To compare, you could show them these: http://www.petproproducts.com Maybe a summer job (if you are old enough) would allow you to help pay for them?

Jadapit
05-03-2006, 08:02 AM
Omg, how awful that must have been. I'm so glad Maggie is ok!!!

jesse_3
05-03-2006, 02:51 PM
That is sooo scary! I am so glad that she is okay. I remember when my RB Jewel was run over, she died right in my arms on the way to the vet.

Could you make a deal with your parents, so that you can get a fence or a kennel?

Well, I wish you luck, and everyone here is SO happy that Maggie is okay!

Steph, Jes, and Jemi'

Toby's my baby
05-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the good thoughts everybody!! Sorry it took me so long to reply, I haven't been home.

I'm still working on that kennel, and if my parents won't let me buy a kennel (I can make enough money to pay for it in about a week or two, if I work everday, and Im getting a check of over $10,000 in a little bit, from an injury) then I'm going to draw something up that my grandpa could build for the girls.

Would it be stupid to just go to the hardware store, and buy like a 6 - 7' tall fencing, and pound in some post's to make a kennel for them? That would be a little less costly, even though it wouldn't look as nice....?

Thanks everybody!! So sorry to hear about the dogs you all have lost :(

jesse_3
05-03-2006, 09:33 PM
As long as your girls are happy, and out of harms way, I don't think that it is a bad idea to go to Ace Hardware to pick up the fencing. Who cares how nice it does or doesn't look?:rolleyes::D

Steph, Jes, and Jemi'