PDA

View Full Version : Say it isn't so!!! *DUCK OWNERS*

Flatcoatluver
05-01-2006, 07:57 PM
So I would say the ducklings are about 5 weeks old. The little guy I thought was a blue sweetish, but he is getting a lot of green. That means he is a mallard right?
So my other two I thought they were two female mallards with the coloring and everything. But now they are getting a tinge of green on their heads. ARE THEY MALES???

I've been through this before having 4 male ducks and it doesn't work, their too aggressive. I am so disappointed because I love these ducks so much and don't want to have to given them up. I am so sad. What should I do?
:(

Jessika
05-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Well the one in your sig definitely looks like it may be a mallard. I raised mallards awhile back, four of them, cutest little things!

Toby's my baby
05-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Could you post some pictures (good clear ones so we can see there coloring) ? My Swedish has green tints on his head and neck, and my female Swedish has a little green too. Usually, you have to wait till they get a little older, to be able to tell with Malards. If the Malards are more brown and green they are most likely females, if they are a silverish color with green heads, they are males. I'll post some pictures of my ducks, and tell you their genders so you can kind of compare....

1. female
2.male left, female right SWEDISH
3.male swedish
4.male swedish
5.male malard, female swedish, male swedish

My Peanuts
05-02-2006, 11:57 AM
My ex used to have ducks. From my experience with them the male mallards are more hard to come by. Over the years he only had one male mallard. That's not a fact, just my experience.

Corinna
05-02-2006, 12:21 PM
mmmmm never count your chicks till they hatch errr mature! :D

dab_20
05-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Well, they look like mallards, even as ducklings in your sig. Don't give up just yet! Not all males fight. Maybe think about getting a couple female ducks if you have time? Maybe you'll have to rehome a couple males if they do start fighting. Usually a female for every male duck plus one more will solve the fighting problems. I'm not sure how old they are, but are the getting the Drake Curl?

Flatcoatluver
05-05-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm not sure how old they are, but are the getting the Drake Curl?
yeah all 3 of them, so that's another reason I thought they were males :(

Toby's my baby
05-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Hmm... Is it possible that they will not fight, when they have grown up together? Mine never ever fight, at the moment we have 2 males and 1 female. We used to have 3 males, and 1 female, and they never fought... I would wait and see until they are older to see if they fight. Good luck!

dab_20
05-08-2006, 07:32 AM
Hmm... Is it possible that they will not fight, when they have grown up together? Mine never ever fight, at the moment we have 2 males and 1 female. We used to have 3 males, and 1 female, and they never fought... I would wait and see until they are older to see if they fight. Good luck!

I agree. Many male ducks do not fight. Just wait and see. I hope they won't!

Flatcoatluver
05-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Well they are about 7 or 8 weeks old and I think one is a male and 2 are females, I will get some pics of them.

dab_20
05-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Well they are about 7 or 8 weeks old and I think one is a male and 2 are females, I will get some pics of them.

Didn't you say all 3 were getting a drake curl? Can't wait to see pics of the cuties!