PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Zoe peeing on bed again

4theloveofzoe
05-01-2006, 06:14 PM
:mad: This time she peed on my daughters bed. My 10 year old twin daughter. There was NO reason for this. She's been to the vet. So please don't tell me that she needs to see a vet. I am so fed up with this. If social services were to find out that our dog is peeing everywhere in the house, including my daughters bed, I will loose custody of my 2 1/2 year old. And please don't try to tell me about training. She's BEEN to training.

I thought that the problem was solved. :mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Grrrr... :mad:

4theloveofzoe
05-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Sorry... about all the angry faces...

I'm just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frustrated! And I hate to get rid of her, but it just seems like there isn't any other alternative.

k9krazee
05-01-2006, 06:24 PM
I think the only thing to do is to monitor her more closely. Keep her tethered to you at all times or put in a crate when you can not watch her. You are not alone, we have had problems with dogs peeing on the beds in the past, and we go back to the basics of housebreaking and do what I mentioned above. It will not fix itself overnight, you need to be very consistent and I would HIGHLY reccemend doing the NILIF training that was mentioned in your other thread. Hopefully things will get better, I'm sorry :(

Jessika
05-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Dogs need consistant training throughout their entire lives. You don't just take them to a class and think that's it. You need to continue reinforcing training and good habits throughout the dog's life. If she is peeing on the bed, watch her closesly, take her outside more frequently, monitor/limit her water intake. Dogs do not just do things to spite anyone. Dogs do things because they are either sick or need more training, or other territorial reasons. So don't think she is doing it JUST to "be bad", because they just.. don't.

K9soul
05-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Read this: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=102679

She should be kept on a leash that is attached to you at all times or crated if you aren't home or are doing something where she can't be next to you. She needs to be monitored 100% of the time until she knows the proper place to go potty. She needs the NILIF program BADLY. She is an insecure dog with no understanding of her place in the "pack" and thus manifesting in problem behaviors that will only get worse the longer she goes without any structure. You yell out "don't tell me about training" It seems to me your mind is just closed already to suggestions people may have. Because she has been to a few classes does NOT mean she is "trained." She needs lots of time, patience and consistency, something you honestly don't seem to want to put into her.

Vela
05-01-2006, 06:43 PM
I don't see how the dog peeing in the house on occasion would make Social Services take away your child, unless there are already problems with them for other reasons, and those are not Zoe's fault. I used to feel that you just needed to work with her, but at this point I feel like she ought to go to another home and maybe now isn't a good time to have pets if you can't devote more time to training and using the NILIF program. Dog's don't develop social problems because they are dogs, they develop social problems because of the lack of human direction and they get confused and insecure. If it is that busy that you don't have time for the training, then you should rehome her and not get any more dogs. This is just my opinion, sorry if you don't like it, but it's truly how I feel. You are always so angry at her, and if you are that agnry at her on here then you are probably angry at her in the home and she can tell. That could be a big part of the problem. I hope you can find her a good home if you can't find a way to spend the time necessary with her.

Pembroke_Corgi
05-01-2006, 07:20 PM
If she is having problems with house training, I would recommend going back to the basics and treat her like she is a new puppy. When you can't watch her, gate her in a secure area or crate her. If it's just beds she has a problem with, clean them with something to get rid of the odor (to the dog), vinegar & water works to get rid of the ammonia smell and close the doors. If she doesn't have access to the bed, she can't pee on it.

chocolatepuppy
05-01-2006, 07:22 PM
I agree with Vela. Maybe Zoe needs to go to a home where someone has time to tend to her. My heart breaks for her. :(

k9krazee
05-01-2006, 07:23 PM
I agree with Vela. Maybe Zoe needs to go to a home where someone has time to tend to her. My heart breaks for her. :(

And as much as I'd hate to say it, I agree that this may be the best option for your family and for Zoe. :(

luvofallhorses
05-01-2006, 07:29 PM
And as much as I'd hate to say it, I agree that this may be the best option for your family and for Zoe. :(

ditto. :(

petslover
05-01-2006, 08:25 PM
If it was me, I would not get rehome Zoe for that reason. CoCo is very bad about going to my parents room and peeing on their bed. The simple solution was just to shut the door so CoCo could not get in there again. That is what we have done and it has not been peed on since.

I would never get rehome CoCo for that reason. It has never crossed my family's mind, but you have to do what's right for your family and your dog. Good luck with it.

4theloveofzoe
05-01-2006, 08:49 PM
I don't see how the dog peeing in the house on occasion would make Social Services take away your child, unless there are already problems with them for other reasons, and those are not Zoe's fault. I used to feel that you just needed to work with her, but at this point I feel like she ought to go to another home and maybe now isn't a good time to have pets if you can't devote more time to training and using the NILIF program. Dog's don't develop social problems because they are dogs, they develop social problems because of the lack of human direction and they get confused and insecure. If it is that busy that you don't have time for the training, then you should rehome her and not get any more dogs. This is just my opinion, sorry if you don't like it, but it's truly how I feel. You are always so angry at her, and if you are that agnry at her on here then you are probably angry at her in the home and she can tell. That could be a big part of the problem. I hope you can find her a good home if you can't find a way to spend the time necessary with her.

I have in home counselors in my home, and check things out. Don't you think that if they smell dog urine in my house that they're going to take my NOT even 3 year old away?????

Obviously you think that your perfect and that you haven't had any problems with dogs peeing in your children's beds over and over again.

So don't judge me.

Sorry that's just how I feel.

4theloveofzoe
05-01-2006, 08:51 PM
If she is having problems with house training, I would recommend going back to the basics and treat her like she is a new puppy. When you can't watch her, gate her in a secure area or crate her. If it's just beds she has a problem with, clean them with something to get rid of the odor (to the dog), vinegar & water works to get rid of the ammonia smell and close the doors. If she doesn't have access to the bed, she can't pee on it.

Thanks for your heart felt support.

So will vinegar and water... stop her from peeing in the beds?

k9krazee
05-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Only consistant training or closing bedroom door will stop the peeing, but the vinegar and water should help to get the smell out.

4theloveofzoe
05-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Read this: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=102679

She should be kept on a leash that is attached to you at all times or crated if you aren't home or are doing something where she can't be next to you. She needs to be monitored 100% of the time until she knows the proper place to go potty. She needs the NILIF program BADLY. She is an insecure dog with no understanding of her place in the "pack" and thus manifesting in problem behaviors that will only get worse the longer she goes without any structure. You yell out "don't tell me about training" It seems to me your mind is just closed already to suggestions people may have. Because she has been to a few classes does NOT mean she is "trained." She needs lots of time, patience and consistency, something you honestly don't seem to want to put into her.

Thank you so much for the reference! I will start this immediately!!!

I do WANT to put forth the effort. It's just frustrating when three of the beds in my home, have dog urine on them. And so bad on mine that it's soaked through and I do NOT have the money to replace it.

So what do you mean by... she's an insecure dog? With no understanding of her place in the pack? I'm really confused about this. And I'd like to know what you mean... k?

Because all in all we ALL discipline her, and let her KNOW that we are her boss. Well, except for ONE of us. Her owner, my disabled 10 year old daughter. We SHOW her constant love and attention. She has been going for 4 mile walks every day, twice a day. Plus we take her to the park, and let her swim in a nearby lake, while we throw sticks in for her.

4theloveofzoe
05-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Dogs need consistant training throughout their entire lives. You don't just take them to a class and think that's it. You need to continue reinforcing training and good habits throughout the dog's life. If she is peeing on the bed, watch her closesly, take her outside more frequently, monitor/limit her water intake. Dogs do not just do things to spite anyone. Dogs do things because they are either sick or need more training, or other territorial reasons. So don't think she is doing it JUST to "be bad", because they just.. don't.

So many other people disagree with you on this... :confused:

Jessika
05-01-2006, 08:57 PM
So many other people disagree with you on this... :confused:
So many others don't understand that dogs aren't human and don't have human logic, then. ;)

4theloveofzoe
05-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Only consistant training or closing bedroom door will stop the peeing, but the vinegar and water should help to get the smell out.

Okay... so what your telling me is...

This is going to be a life long problem?

Why is it that other people have dogs that don't keep peeing all over the place?
Not to mention... Nipping at one of my daughters.

4theloveofzoe
05-01-2006, 08:59 PM
So many others don't understand that dogs aren't human and don't have human logic, then. ;)

So.. why is she peeing on beds then? What's the logic in that?

There are other places she can pee.... :confused:

4theloveofzoe
05-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Look... I didn't come here to start an argument or trouble... I am SOOOOOO
frustrated by this.

Try having five children, (will 4 now , my oldest moved out today), and see how having a dog peeing all over your apartment will affect you. :(

Jessika
05-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Hav eyou properly cleaned the area thoroughly? Do you give her ANY attention for peeing on the bed? Even if it is "NO! BAD DOG!" that is still giving her attention.

Gate the room, or keep the door closed. This is the same concept as potty training a toddler and they wet the bed. They don't realize it and can't help it sometimes.

Just go back to basics! Clean the bed, covers, and mattress THOROUGHLY with a cleanser for pet urine that contains stuff to get rid of enzymes and that area will no longer be favorable for her to pee. Regular soap and water gets rid of the smell, but not enzymes that dogs can smell and those indicate "hey, pee here" so they will continue peeing in the same spot.

EDIT: Also, this will only be a lifelong "problem" if you are not consistant in training her entire life. You need to be consistant and get her on a schedule, that will REALLY help

Pembroke_Corgi
05-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks for your heart felt support.

So will vinegar and water... stop her from peeing in the beds?

Mixing 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water should help remove the smell that makes it attractive for her to go potty there. It's possible that she smells other accidents (if your daughter is only 2 1/2, accidents happen, even with diapers, and Zoe may smell that) and is marking over that. My RB cat had hyperthyroidism, and as she got very old she had quite a few accidents even with her medication. My dogs never go potty in the house, but they did pee over the spot where there was an accident when they got into her room once. Removing the smell may help somewhat but I'd keep a very close watch on her, that way if you catch her you can quickly take her outside. Oh, also make sure not to use any cleaners with ammonia in them on these spots because this smells like urine to dogs and they might feel inclined to mark over it. Good luck!

4theloveofzoe
05-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Hav eyou properly cleaned the area thoroughly? Do you give her ANY attention for peeing on the bed? Even if it is "NO! BAD DOG!" that is still giving her attention.

Gate the room, or keep the door closed. This is the same concept as potty training a toddler and they wet the bed. They don't realize it and can't help it sometimes.

Just go back to basics! Clean the bed, covers, and mattress THOROUGHLY with a cleanser for pet urine that contains stuff to get rid of enzymes and that area will no longer be favorable for her to pee. Regular soap and water gets rid of the smell, but not enzymes that dogs can smell and those indicate "hey, pee here" so they will continue peeing in the same spot.

Yes I've done all the above as far as cleaning. But when she has peed, I tell her NAUGHTY girl and she goes into a "time out", which is an entry way.

k9krazee
05-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Okay... so what your telling me is...

This is going to be a life long problem?

Why is it that other people have dogs that don't keep peeing all over the place?
Not to mention... Nipping at one of my daughters.

Nope! What I said is with consistant training and supervision you should be able to cure the problem...but it will take time and effort!

I have 5 dogs, and the reason they aren't peeing all over the place is because we have to constantly supervise and make sure they are getting enough time outside to go potty...and if we are all busy doing something the dogs are put away in their crates until we are there to supervise. Consistancy and a schedule on your part could help you out a lot!

4theloveofzoe
05-01-2006, 09:06 PM
One last thing that I feel I need to say...
This dog isn't JUST a dog...

She's a part of our family... And I love her dearly...

But it's just frustrating and I have to think about my toddler too.

4theloveofzoe
05-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Nope! What I said is with consistant training and supervision you should be able to cure the problem...but it will take time and effort!

I have 5 dogs, and the reason they aren't peeing all over the place is because we have to constantly supervise and make sure they are getting enough time outside to go potty...and if we are all busy doing something the dogs are put away in their crates until we are there to supervise. Consistancy and a schedule on your part could help you out a lot!

TY!

Wow... 5 dogs? :eek: You sound like my XSIL. She has 5 dogs too.

Jessika
05-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Yes I've done all the above as far as cleaning. But when she has peed, I tell her NAUGHTY girl and she goes into a "time out", which is an entry way.
Try instead, when she potties in the CORRECT place (on a pee pad, outdoors) get REALLY excited and tell her what a good girl she is, give her treats, belly rubs, the works. But when she pees inside, then do not say anything, don't look at her, don't give her any attention.

Also remember it is VERY important to NOT discipline if she does it while you are away and you come home to find the mess. OFtentimes she has forgotten she's done it and she thinks she is now in trouble for greeting you, being happy to see you, coming to you, etc. It is VERY easy to confuse dogs while training, so you must be very specific in y our actions. If you must discipline, you must catch her IN THE ACT, otherwise discipline is pointless for that action.

Vela
05-01-2006, 09:33 PM
I have in home counselors in my home, and check things out. Don't you think that if they smell dog urine in my house that they're going to take my NOT even 3 year old away?????

Obviously you think that your perfect and that you haven't had any problems with dogs peeing in your children's beds over and over again.

So don't judge me.

Sorry that's just how I feel.

First off I wasn't judging you and I never claimed to be perfect. And no I don't have trouble with my dogs peeing on anything other than outside but if I did I would close the doors, keep the dog in the room with me at all times when they aren't crated or outside, and I would make them work for everything. You just seem like you don't want to deal with it anymore by what you say, and if all of this is making you dislike your dog and have so much anger towards her, this will only confuse her more, and make any issues worse. All I said was that if you don't have the time or energy or whatever to deal with her problems, then maybe it is best to find a new home for her. You are the one who talked about getting rid of her first...not I so I don't know why you think I was judging you. I don't think they would take your child away from you over that if you explained what had happened and the steps you were taking to correct it. I have seen them let much much worse things go by with people I have known so I really don't see why they would do that over a dog accident, as long as you kept it cleaned up. Good luck.

Sevaede
05-01-2006, 11:26 PM
I have not posted because, frankly, I am not entirely sure of *THE* most effective way of correcting this sort of behaviour. I've always just trained my pooches, or they did this on their own, to go sit by the door when they have to potty. One of my previous Doxies, Willy (Who now lives with my parents), would "talk" to you when he had to potty. He would make these snapping noises and go "arooo roo roo!" (He was part Bassett Hound, we believe). I am not sure if this helped but my point is maybe you could get her to give you some sort of indicator of when she has to potty? If you did a search on Google I am sure you could find a lot of useful information. :)

I hope that you don't have to give up your beloved pooch.

dappledoxie
05-02-2006, 04:59 PM
My dachshund Claire was having problems like this, peeing on my bed and also on the couches. Pretty much what I've done includes, taking her to the vet for tests, covering my bed or any bed she can get on with boxes or something that will keep her off, putting flat boxes on any couches, putting tall pillows into chairs she could get into, keeping doors to certain rooms closed when I'm not watching her, taking her out to potty every couple hours (basically starting housetraining all over again), and keeping her in a crate or confined room when she can't be watched. My vet also gave me some pills, non perscription, they're like an herbal type pill that I give her twice each day. Claire hasn't had an accident on any furniture or my bed in at least two or three months which is great! :) I know how it feels to lay down in your comfy bed only to put your butt or feet or hand into a pee spot! hehehe Very startling and smelly. lol

I would definately watch her really closely and if you have boxes or gates or something to keep her out of rooms or off the beds then try that. Good luck, I hope you can work something out with her. :)

dab_20
05-02-2006, 05:07 PM
I can understand why you are frustrated. First off, you need to understand she does this because she doesn't know she isn't supposed to pee on beds, NOT because she's doing it to be bad. You have to be consistant. Treat her like a young puppy and watch her every move. If you cant, then crate her. I can't add much to what the others have said... Good Luck.