PDA

View Full Version : tornados, and I'm scared

lbaker
05-02-2002, 05:59 PM
Here we are, at least I'm home with my son, mother and all furkids... but we have tornado warnings. Gosh ToTo...maybe we are in Kansas:eek: :( LaPlata MD just got hit big time 2 days ago, an F5 (worst one there is) and now we are on alert. I have a plan to take care of my guys and family but this is scary.... I'll check in later if I can. Love you guys....... Laurie

OK, here comes the wind and the sky is green.. eeks. Have to go......

zippy-kat
05-02-2002, 06:12 PM
OH dear! Hope all is ok Laurie!

Believe me, I know how scary those guys can be!!!! Hobbs, NM (where my parents live) gets hit hard and OFTEN!

I slept thru the only one Las Cruces had last year.

Check in when you can!!!
{{you're in my thoughts}}

momoffuzzyfaces
05-02-2002, 06:24 PM
Laurie, I live in Kansas so I totally know what you are going through. Prayers are on the way for your saftey. It always helps me to ask God to send his angels to surround me and my loved ones and the town and keep us safe. It helps keep me calm thinking of an army of big strong angels sheltering our town with their wings. (((hugs)))

RachelJ
05-02-2002, 06:31 PM
Laurie, I too know exactly how you feel. I am terrified in the kind of weather you describe. Head for the basement.

LoudLou
05-02-2002, 06:40 PM
Oh, Laurie HOW scary!!!:( :eek: Stay safe. We'll be thinking about you and your family. Sending you a great big http://www.hystersisters.com/lisagraphics/misc43.gif

Kate, Loud Louie & The Beans

Pam
05-02-2002, 07:15 PM
We are on a "tornado watch" here until 10:00 pm. This is just a watch and not a warning. It's been a very humid day here and that often sparks some big boomers. Laurie I hope you are all OK and will check back in as soon as it is safe to do so!!

Cincy'sMom
05-02-2002, 09:13 PM
I have always been very nervous in the spring because of tornadoes...thankfully they seem to hit when I am not around. One year, there was one of Lake Erie when my paretns went to Cedar POint with out me, and another hit Cincinnati on a weekend I had come home from school...Hope all is well Laurie!!!

*LabLoverKEB*
05-02-2002, 11:00 PM
Oh, Laurie!!! I'm scared for you, and all your family, too! I hope everything is alright!:) ;) Just think happy thoughts! Hug your family, and your furbabies, and that should make you feel better!:) ;) Be safe! We all love you, Laurie!

Love,
Sarah & Sadie

Genia
05-03-2002, 12:17 AM
It is scary. I have been through 3 hurricanes and 1 tornado. With hurricanes you can prepare, with tornados, it is so fast, so little preparation. My 12 year old daughter went through Hurricane Georges ok but since we are moving to Oklahoma in June she is absolutlly terrified. She watched the movies Twister and Where the Heart Is (before we found out we were moving) and now she is obsessed with tornados. I was at work one day and she called me from home crying because she said the clouds were twirling and she thought it was a tornado. I told her to go to my neighbor's house and I rushed home from work. She hasn't seen the house we are moving to but I assured her that it has a storm cellar. She is still frightened. Hang in there Laurie.

gini
05-03-2002, 12:34 AM
Laurie, please let us know that you are alright as soon as you can. Each of us understands the terror of these storms and the fear is a horrible feeling.

Prayers and hugs go out to you.

Gio
05-03-2002, 04:26 AM
Laurie, I'll be thinking of you and your family. I've never experienced it first hand but I've seen what it can cause. Please let us know that you're Ok when you get the chance!

lynnestankard
05-03-2002, 06:16 AM
Hope everything is OK wsith you and the family. I'm sure I can't even imagine how scary a tornado is. Hugs to you all.

Lynne

Randi
05-03-2002, 07:04 AM
We too hope everything is Ok over there with you all! Have never experienced a tornado or a hurricane, but it must be frightening! - especially for animals! :(

Storm warnings updated every 2 min. (http://kamala.cod.edu/svr/)

lbaker
05-03-2002, 07:10 AM
Huge winds, fallen tree limbs and some downed power lines but no twister. Thanks for your thoughts everyone :D Laurie

purrley
05-03-2002, 07:11 AM
I was watching the news this a.m. and saw the storm that hit W. Virginia - man they're wicked:( :( We seldom have tornados here in Utah, but a few years ago we had one touch down in downtown SLC - that was the scariest thing I've ever seen and even more scarier was that people wanted to get close to it out of shear curiosity turning out to be pure stupidity. Mother Nature does get in a really bad mood at times doesn't she.
Prayers for safety to all who live in tornado country!!!!!

Pam
05-03-2002, 07:11 AM
Laurie thanks for checking in because they just said on TV that there was a tornado in northern Maryland and I thought of you. Glad you are OK! ;)

anna_66
05-03-2002, 08:08 AM
Phew! Glad to hear your ok!!

Dixieland Dancer
05-03-2002, 08:39 AM
We are all glad you are ok too! We just had a tornado touch down last Sunday only 12 miles from our house. :( We had hail stones about the size of quarters all over our yard. I was surprised no windows or any major damage was done to our house.

On a funnier note. My husband told me last night he had a dream the night before that was very real and he could still remember it clearly. A tornado came sweeping through our yard and after it was gone the rain came. Only it wasn't water rain. It was raining GOLDEN RETRIEVERS!!!! :D :D :D :D

And I thought I was the dog nut in our family! :confused:

AmberLee
05-03-2002, 09:47 AM
{{{Laurie and family}}}

So glad you are all okay.

Logan
05-03-2002, 10:38 AM
Laurie, so glad you're ok. That had to be very frightening! I've only been close to a tornado a few times in my life, and one time was when I was in my little Dodge Omni, driving back to Clemson after an interview in Laurinburg, NC (a long way). The car only had an AM radio and the emergecy broadcast system came on talking about a tornado being spotted in Newberry County, several of them, as a matter of fact. I looked up and guess where I was.....Newberry County, in the middle of nowhere. I made my plans about putting my car in a ditch if I saw it. Thank goodness I didn't, but I have obviously never forgotten the fear I felt that day. It was almost 20 years ago, but I can remember it like it was yesterday. So I felt it all over again when I read your post. Thank goodness neither of us had to find out what it was like. Whew!

Have a good, restful weekend.

Gio
05-03-2002, 10:54 AM
Glad you're OK!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-03-2002, 12:03 PM
So glad everything is ok. We heard about that F5 last week, and it still amazes me the destruction a tornado can do in such a short time. And how weird everything is, like one story where a ladies house was gone - completely - but the car was still in the driveway without a scratch on it! Being from Wisconsin, I've had a couple come within a few miles of me - enough to make me head for the basement. They are really scarey because they are so unpredictable. Haven't had too many close calls since I moved to the Chicago area, but just a little southwest of us they seem to get hit hard every year. And the scary part about that is that the area is growing at a tremendous rate so there are thousands of new homes in the potential path of a tornado. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

luckies4me
05-03-2002, 01:08 PM
Oh my, you got me so scared. I am so glad that you and your family (including furbabies) are doing well.

About two months ago we had a huge storm here in Eugene, Oregon. I was standing outside when a huge tree fell to the ground. We had trees and power lines down everywhere with the 75 PM winds. It was very scary. We lost our electricity and some peoples didn't come back on for 2 weeks! It was the weirdest thing I have ever been through. You feel our house shaking because the thunder was so loud. Peoples roofs were torn off, huge trees fell into restraunts and shattered windows, transformers blew! It was crazy! So glad you are allright.:D