PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! need food ideas!

catnapper
04-30-2006, 08:51 PM
All of the sudden, a lot of RSVPs are pouring in for the baby shower I'm throwing for Ashley. I am overwhelmed because a lot of people who I'd swear would not come are coming! :eek:

In the beginning, I joked that I'll have 50 people at the shower, and now its looks as if that is going to be a very real prospect.

Sooooo...... what do I FEED 50 people?

Here's what we have planned so far:
~ Itallian hoagies for 20-30 people, from a real Philly hoagie shop (only the best!)
~ Wawa cheese hoagies for 10-15 people
~ chips to go with the hoagies
~ Fruit salad
~ Soft pretzel nuggets with a variety of dippings (cheese, mustard, etc) -- they are real pretzels and better than anything you've ever tasted! Not at all like the frozen pretzels ou can microwave or bake yourself.
~ a half sheet cake
~ a rubber duckie cake (thats is if I can master the process of making it between now and the shower!)
~ my aunt is bringing some type of dessert
~ Veggie tray

Now what else can I add that is NON-MESSY, and easy to prepare. I stress non-messy because hubby wants meatball sandwiches or roast beef, etc. I can see all these people crammed into my off-white livingroom dropping red meatballs or gravy all over everything as they bump into each other.

We had ordered wraps for my son's graduation party last year.... and not one of them were eaten. People devoured the hoagies. But I'm afraid another hoagie tray would be hoagie overkill. I'd like perhaps something different that would appeal to people who might not want a sandwich. But what?

HELP!

Also, what about chairs? I have enough for 20 people..... I also cannot fathom where I'll PUT an extra 30 chairs (as a matter of fact I can't see the 20 chairs in the hosue either.) Lets pray for a sunny day so people can spill outside and enjoy themselves without feeling like sardines.

jenluckenbach
04-30-2006, 08:55 PM
My first suggestion would be cocktail shrimp (but I know Grant is highly allergic). Would having them around be too risky?

catnapper
04-30-2006, 09:02 PM
My first suggestion would be cocktail shrimp (but I know Grant is highly allergic). Would having them around be too risky?
Definately risky. All he has to do is pick up a napkin that someone used to wipe their hands after eating shrimp and his throat starts swelling shut. Though I'd love shrimp myself! Yummmm

hmmm..... it might pose a cat public relations nightmare. 5 cats, 50 people appalled at cats up on the table stealing the shrimp! LOLOLOLOLOL

Kfamr
04-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Kim, something my mom always brings to parties or serves is this..

Get a jar of whole pickles (garlic flavored taste best for this!)
Cream Cheese
Lunch meat Ham

Cover pickles (dry them with paper towel first) in cream cheese, wrap in ham. It usually takes 2 pieces.

Slice in thin slices. You can either just plop them on a serving plate or place them in a shape (at Christmas time my mom makes them into a christmas tree shape)

They are SO good but usually gone quickly.

Deviled eggs are another thing that goes quickly around here.

*edit* Here's a recipe I found for the pickles..
http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/CreamCheesePickles.asp

catnapper
04-30-2006, 09:11 PM
I never had anything like that -- sounds interesting!

I was thinking deviled eggs. Hubby loves them, and I'm sure he'd be able to whip up a quick batch.

Kfamr
04-30-2006, 09:19 PM
A few other things...

Hummus & Crackers/Fried Pita/bread
Cheese & Meat tray (just cut some cheese and meats up, add crackers)
Cheeseball & Crackers
Coleslaw
Potato Salad
7 Layer Dip (Beans, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, cheese, black olives, tomatoes)

Laura's Babies
04-30-2006, 10:21 PM
What about a tray of chicken wings? Finger sandwiches made with chicken salad? Wish I could be there to help you do some of the food, that is right up my alley.... I'd cook up a big ole pot of Jambalaya and thay would fill everybody's tummy and cheap to make too...50 people...WOW! I see why you are frantic...

Daisy and Delilah
05-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Pigs in a Blanket.......super easy to make, not messy and people love them. You can make a ton of them in no time too. Cold cuts, spread with cream cheese and cut in slices. YUMMY!!!! Macaroni salad-easy and makes a ton quickly also. Have fun! You guys will do a great job! :D

BitsyNaceyDog
05-01-2006, 07:39 AM
Fondue! You could do chocolate with fruit. Cheese with veggies. Beans and cheese with Fritos and crackers.

That is a lot of people to have in one house. Is there somewhere else you could move it to? My sister-in-law had her baby shower at church. There was plenty of room for a lot of people and there are tables and chairs already there so they didn't have to rent any. If you could move the shower somewhere else you could also have some messier foods. Even if you have to rent a room somewhere it may be worth it.

moosmom
05-01-2006, 07:42 AM
How about stuffed celery? I bring that to all my family's functions. I mix cream cheese with blue cheese and stuff it in the celery. I've never had ANY leftovers. Great finger food too!

Another suggestion would be a nacho dip with chips. Follow the recipe on the back of a Velveeta box. To keep it warm, put it in a crock pot on low.

catnapper
05-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Donna, LOVE the idea about cheese and nachos! (maybe because I love to eat them :D ) but my biggest fear about something like fondue or chips, is people crowding around the pot, and when they turn around, they'll bump into somebody, and there goes gooey hot stuff all over someone else and my carpet. It is my worst nightmare. Thank goodness I have a steam cleaner on loan! ;)

As far as macaroni or chicken salad, or anything of the like, the party might very well be on a hot day. Yesterday here was pretty hot, and as it gets closer to June, its goning to get much hotter. Anyway, I worry about it spoiling. I can't have 20 or so people digging into food that might trigger food poisoning while we only have one bathroom! LOL ~ I'm not terribly worried about the bathroom situation because last year when we had 30 people here for my son's graduation, it was never in demand. Most people weren't here long enough to use it.

But salad-wise, a pasta salad mixed with itallian dressing and lots of veggies would make a wonderful addition to the menu!

Please, keep the ideas coming!

I would like to move the location of the shower, but at this point we can't for two reasons: finances, and I don't want to re-send out 30-ish invitations with a change of address! :p Besides, I really don't want to load up the car with 50 presents! :D :D :D

This shower is taking on a life of its own. Lots of people pretty much saying, "can I come?" and lots of people asking, "can I bring so-and-so?" I have not turned anyone down yet and won't turn anyone away.

Laura's Babies
05-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Yea girl, don't turn anyone down who asks if they can bring something! Why not cover your floor (and furniture) with some plastic sheeting so that would not be a worry and you could relax and enjoy the shower.

As for the chicken salad sandwiches, only put out a plate of them at a time and keep the rest refridgerated? I wouldn't set everything out all at once anyway. We did a wedding with the cheese squares and meat roll ups and we didn't set it all out because it was summertime in Florida and the coolness of the freshest set out stuff made it really appealing to everyone. We also did this at my grand daughters wedding recpetion.

I am SO excited over this for you, I hope you take pleanty of pictures and post them here for us to see...

Samantha Puppy
05-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Why don't you get a platter of chicken nuggets or chicken fingers from Chick-Fil-A? That's what my mom had at my shower and they were SO popular!

king2005
05-01-2006, 08:31 AM
baked cheese fingers are great!!!, so are chicken balls, eggrolls, stuffed mushrooms, stuffed peppers, cheese cheese & more cheese :)

There is a really good KD bake! It has a box of KD, bacon & tomatos in it. If you go to the kraft website, they have all sorts of great recipes & with KD being cheap, its easy on the posket book :)

catnapper
05-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Hmmm... I hadn't thought about fried foods! We do have a fryer and it would so simple to just toss breaded chicken into it for a few minutes and put them out. Only problem with that is it makes the house smell like McDonalds :p But, the chicken fingers from Sams Club are So Yummy! Decisions, decisions!

I have already spent waaaayyy over my budgeted amount on this party, so anything now would have to be very inexpensive -- sigh. We could have so many more options if I had more money

Laura, a bunch of people are bringing food (thank goodness) but they asked me what they could bring, I would never dream of asking anyone else to bring something unless they volunteered.

king2005
05-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Hmmm... I hadn't thought about fried foods! We do have a fryer and it would so simple to just toss breaded chicken into it for a few minutes and put them out. Only problem with that is it makes the house smell like McDonalds :p But, the chicken fingers from Sams Club are So Yummy! Decisions, decisions!

I have already spent waaaayyy over my budgeted amount on this party, so anything now would have to be very inexpensive -- sigh. We could have so many more options if I had more money

Laura, a bunch of people are bringing food (thank goodness) but they asked me what they could bring, I would never dream of asking anyone else to bring something unless they volunteered.

Put the deep frier outside or in the garage :)
You can fry anything!! Bananas, cheese, anything as long as you put batter on it :)

Lobodeb
05-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Do you have access to flour tortillas in your area? A good (and very inexpensive) finger food is stuffed tortilla pinwheels. We made these for one of my showers.

All you do is get some cream cheese, mix it with minced black olives and chile. You don't have to use chile, however. We rolled the tortillas up and sliced them into pinwheels. Have you ever tried the veggie cream cheese at Dunkin Donuts? That would be wonderful in this.

jenluckenbach
05-01-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm gettin hungry :p

I was thinking about pigs in a blanket. Can anyone tell me (exactly) how to make them?? (cooking delinquent here) :rolleyes:

I have decided to make the deviled eggs, if for no other reason than I LOVE them too (and so does Charlie). And if Grant likes them maybe he won't get grouchy! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

catnapper
05-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Jen, are you suggesting that hubby might occaionally act grumpy? *gasp* Who'd have thunkit!? Its a good thing you're not here today -- he's driving me NUTS! He woke up with a migraine and he's utterly monsterous! :rolleyes:

Ok, so now w'll have deviled eggs. Hubby said he'd gladly play fry-chef making chicken fingers and fried cheese. Oh I hear arteries clogging already!

On another note: we're making a box so people who are giving her money and gift cards can slide the envelope into the box and all the cards can be together (kind of like a money bag at weddings) Now, my question is: does she open the card in front of people like she does all the gifts or does she save that for later so nobody is hurt to see they "only" gave $20 while someone else gave $50? With gifts, its harder to determine what somebody aid - a onsie can be $5 or it could have been $10, etc.

Karen
05-01-2006, 01:25 PM
I think she should still open the gift cards/cards with everyone there, but she needn't reveal the amount.

"Oh, Mrs. So-and-So, money! Thank you so much, I know just what to do with it, thank you."

sirrahbed
05-01-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm gettin hungry :p

I was thinking about pigs in a blanket. Can anyone tell me (exactly) how to make them?? (cooking delinquent here) :rolleyes:

I make the pigs with a package of mini dog - I like the smoky links best - and a couple tubes of fridge biscuits. Cut each biscuit into halves or even quarters and wrap around the "pigs" - cook according to the biscuit tube directions. Oh, and overlap the biscuit after you warp it and put them on the cookie sheet with the seam down.

People seem to love these - and Kim - folks could dip them into the same sauces as your pretzels. :)

lv4dogs
05-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Kim, something my mom always brings to parties or serves is this..

Get a jar of whole pickles (garlic flavored taste best for this!)
Cream Cheese
Lunch meat Ham

Cover pickles (dry them with paper towel first) in cream cheese, wrap in ham. It usually takes 2 pieces.

Slice in thin slices. You can either just plop them on a serving plate or place them in a shape (at Christmas time my mom makes them into a christmas tree shape)

They are SO good but usually gone quickly.

Deviled eggs are another thing that goes quickly around here.

*edit* Here's a recipe I found for the pickles..
http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/CreamCheesePickles.asp

Those are SOO yummy! I could eat them for a meal themselves. lol

How about some salad sandwiches, egg, chicken, ham, etc...?

Muddy4paws
05-01-2006, 02:32 PM
I just recently been to a party so I'll just list the food we had there :P

Sausages/ Sausage rolls, Quiche, Cold pasta with a tomato sauce in it, I always think it tastes nicer cold :P, Lots of finger food like chicken nuggets, bbq chicken pieces and loads of sandwiches! I always think that breadsticks and dip or pringles and dip is nice for finger foods. There was also a delicious fruit salad that was just simply strawberrys, Melon and grapes!

ramanth
05-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Why oh why did I read this thread? Now I'm STARVING! ;) :D

Sounds like you've got some great suggestions and great menu list started!

jenluckenbach
05-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Yes, have her open any cards without packages. You can't simply ignore them. But don't be saying "WOW! $100.....woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" LOL

its harder to determine what somebody paid - a onsie can be $5 or it could have been $10, etc.
Or it could be $.50 (I love thrift stores. :D )

catnapper
05-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Or it could be $.50 (I love thrift stores. :D )
Yes, so do I! You saw me get that gorgeous white outfit that still had its tags on for $3. That would have been at least $20 in the store!

Ok so she'll open the cards and politely say "oh, Jan, thank you for your generousity!" Instead of "Woo-hooooo, you gave me $150!!! Oh la la!" :D :p :D

chrangharris
05-01-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm so exicted for you guys that so many people are coming to bless this new little one! I can't wait to see pictures and hear how it goes!

Something that I love and goes over well in large groups is little smokies. For each package of little smokies, add a can of cranberry sauce and a cup of brown sugar. Stick it in a crockpot and stir occasionally- it is super easy and is a hit! There are several dip for chips you can do in a crockpot that would free up some of your time during the party.

carole
05-01-2006, 10:01 PM
I have to ask this what on earth is a Hoagie? or a half sheet cake, or a rubber duckie cake, the mind boggles i have never heard of these down under lol. :D

How about a meat platter, like rolls of luncheon, ham, chicken,salami etc,just roll them all up and secure with a toothpick, and arrange them in a circle sort of , if you know what i mean, decorate with some parsley and pineapple and cherries,hard to explain but hope you get my drift :) .

catnapper
05-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Poor Carol, you must think I'm speaking another language!

A hoagie is a sandwich with all sorts of different deli meats and then toppings like lettuce, onion, and tomato on a roll. Pretty much anything you'd put on the luncheon tray would be on a hoagie. I like the hoagie better than a tray because my mom lives in Philadelphia and can get REAL Philly hoagies.... something we can't get even though its an hour away. They were a complete success the last party I had. If you're going to have a hoagie, you HAVE to have a real hoagie first! Subway makes "hoagies" (or "subs" as some call them) but they are nothin' like the Philly ones.

A half sheet cake is the size of the cake. Its supposed to feed 50 or 60 people. A full sheet cake is HUGE and feeds 100 or so people.

A rubber duckie cake is a cake in the shape of a rubber duckie. I'm supposed to be baking it myself but considering my culinary skills, its going to be a lot of trials before I get it right! My first attempt was a complete disaster.

Jods
05-02-2006, 06:21 AM
I have a great recipie for a cheese ball if you want it PM me its YUMMY and easy too!

Kay: I'm definatly gonna try those pickles sometime YUM!!

oh yeah for my shower we asked a few people to bring things it will help you since there are sooo many people and actually some people like a few of my aunts demand that they bring something LOL.

carole
05-02-2006, 05:37 PM
ah ha now i have learnt something new today, thanks for filling me in Kim, yes sometimes it does feel like a whole new world out there, mind you we have some funny terms for things here too, that you guys would have trouble understanding and have a good laugh at too, hope the party goes well, it sounds like the food will be very appertising. YUMMY. :)