PDA

View Full Version : Yay Visa, my agility superstar

wolfsoul
04-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Visa and I just got back from the fun trial in Osoyoos.

We had standard course first --- we were the fastest but we came in second because we got ten faults (backjumping and sliding off the table). We were first in our height though lol. Then we did a team run -- Visa did AWESOME, she was the fastest dog and the only one to get a clean run. Our partner's dog was off that day and got several faults, but Visa made up for it and we took 1st place. Then we had jumpers, we took 1st in our height but third altogether because of five faults (backjumping -- really have to work on that!), but we were the fastest again. I'm very proud of my girl, she did very well. Unfortunatly the only pics are of the trip back, but a photographer did come and take pictures of Visa (they're going in the newspaper! :) ) and I'll be sure to post them and the article as soon as I get them.

CagneyDog
04-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Congratulations! Visa is such an amazing girl!

BCollie_Kelly
04-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Congrats! Thats awesome, way to go Visa!

animal_rescue
04-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Awww what a good girl Visa! You are a superstar!!

buttercup132
04-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Congrads-ehem and you didnt take any pictures lol:p

Karen
04-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Congratulations Visa!!!!!

king2005
04-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Congrats to you & Visa!!

Now, what is backjumping?

cyber-sibes
04-30-2006, 11:20 PM
Woo-hoo! Congratulations Visa!

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Congratulations! Sounds like both you and Visa had a great time :)

Jess, I know I'm not Jordan but I hope it's alright if I answer your question. I'm pretty sure backjumping is when the dog goes over the jump (or through a tunnel) in the wrong direction.

Sevaede
05-01-2006, 01:51 AM
GREAT JOB! :D Very proud of both of ya! :D Pretty soon, she'll be running circles (and squares and triangles! :D) around the other pooches!

Any tips on agility training? I was talking to one of the Petco groomers today who was walking around trying to desensitize her GS and get her ready for an upcoming obedience trial. Told her that I wanted to do agility but it would have to wait until I got a bigger dog because I wasn't sure if my Chi would be able to and she said she's actually seen quite a few. That's what El Mother-o said (she used to do obedience and whatnont as well!), too. SO, I thought I would ask. :D

zoomer
05-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Congradulations!!!! :D Visa the agility superstar! :D

Kenley's Cat Lady
05-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Congrats! looking forward to the pictures.

bckrazy
05-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Visa really is an amazing dog! She excels at everything :) Congrats you two.

wolfsoul
05-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Thanks everyone! :D Visa has had a busy weekend. Today we went and got her hips and elbows X-rayed.

Backjumping is when the dog ges over the jump the wrong way. Most dogs jump over them and turn back and jump over again, but Visa runs past the jump, I call her, and she jumps over it to come toward me instead of going around it.

Any tips on agility training?
I think the best tip I could offer would be to keep your mind open to several methods of training. There are always different techniques being thought of everyday, and not everything works for one dog. There is alot of trial and error in agility -- you have to find out what works best for your dog. Clicker training has been awesome for Visa and I. It is great to teach contacts with. In training, I use a clear target that I put on the ground after the contact of an obstacle. Visa is taught to nose-touch it before she steps off the obstacle. When she touches, I click and treat. Before we tried a few other methods for teaching contacts, and while they worked for some dogs, they didn't work well for us. :)

Pembroke_Corgi
05-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Great job, Visa!!!!!!!!!

k9krazee
05-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Yay for both of you!! Sounds like you did much better than I did this past weekend! :o I ran my Aunt's lab for her at a CPE event, we qualified in 2 out of the 8, hehe. And on those two walked away with a 3rd and a 4th (out of 4 dogs!) :o But the only times he does agility is when my Aunt asks me if I want to run him at a trial (which only happens maybe 4 times a year), she has 3 other dogs that she competes with and trains regularly.