PDA

View Full Version : Handling kittens

dab_20
04-29-2006, 10:49 AM
On one website it says you shoulden't handle newborn kittens until they are a week old. On another it said you should so they get used to you, but not over handle them. Which one is right??

moosmom
04-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Speaking from my own experience, when Mattie Grace's babies were born, I handled them from the very beginning. The more you handle them, the better socialized they are and easier to place. Just watch Mama's body language. Talk softly to her while you're handling the babies. This will reassure her that she can trust you.

dab_20
04-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Speaking from my own experience, when Mattie Grace's babies were born, I handled them from the very beginning. The more you handle them, the better socialized they are and easier to place. Just watch Mama's body language. Talk softly to her while you're handling the babies. This will reassure her that she can trust you.

Thanks very much. Oreo is a barn cat and we are moving her inside. She isn't just an ordinary barn cat because she's SO friendly and loves people, even strangers.

kitimom
04-29-2006, 01:59 PM
I, like Moo, have handled them from the git go. I helped Cheese birth her babies and she always let me hold them.

catmandu
04-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Just be very careful with Kittens that small as thier bones are still forming.
I never touched Gary and Ivon,except to move them into the Spare Bedroom.
I know that they are so tiny and cute at that age.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-29-2006, 02:03 PM
The most omportant thing is to let the meowmie-cat "smell" her kittens as soon as they are born. Once that is over, she won't reject them, I think.

rg_girlca
04-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Yes, you can hold them, but very gently in the palm of your hand and not for too long. If the kitten starts to mew, mama can become very agitated over it.

rg_girlca
04-29-2006, 05:09 PM
I remember you asking about what litter to use once the kittens are old enough to teach them how to use the litter box. First off, you have to make sure the litter box is low enough. They should sell litter boxes specifically for kittens at any pet store. Also, the best litter to use for these widdle ones is clay litter. Do not use any kind of scoopable litter or Crystal at all, as kittens have a tendency to eat some of the litter and it is not good for their system.
It can cause some serious health problems for them.

Also, here are some pictures to show you how to tell a female from a male.
http://prettykatie.zoto.com/img/45/0a5c70a5b6de2729d17be0ebbe19c264-.jpg

http://prettykatie.zoto.com/img/45/8287af0d839c8ddb7c05d3241d7464b0-.jpg

dab_20
04-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks. And thank you rg_girlca for answering that question!

Jessika
04-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Like others have already stated, I have ALWAYS handled the kittens from day one. Maybe not a lot, and definitely watch mom's body language. Maybe do it in a quiet, closed room, don't make sudden movements, etc.

Also remember if mom gets too stressed she may move the kittens, so keep them somewhere where there is not a lot of traffic, and closed off to other animals.

Make sure to wash your hands before handling them though so they don't get sick :)

dab_20
04-29-2006, 07:58 PM
Like others have already stated, I have ALWAYS handled the kittens from day one. Maybe not a lot, and definitely watch mom's body language. Maybe do it in a quiet, closed room, don't make sudden movements, etc.

Also remember if mom gets too stressed she may move the kittens, so keep them somewhere where there is not a lot of traffic, and closed off to other animals.

Make sure to wash your hands before handling them though so they don't get sick :)

Thank you Jessika. :)

There are no other animals in the house other then Oreo. I'm not sure where to put her though. She can't stay in my room because of my allergies, she can't stay in the spare room because of the computer cords and incubator cords, and she can't stay in dad's. The basement I would think is too cold. Is there a way I can cover up the cords?

Jessika
04-29-2006, 08:14 PM
There are little "tubes" you can buy with a slit down the side that you can pop the cords into. This also helps them from being tangled up :)

dab_20
04-29-2006, 10:29 PM
There are little "tubes" you can buy with a slit down the side that you can pop the cords into. This also helps them from being tangled up :)

Thanks! I will have to show my dad this page. :)

dab_20
04-30-2006, 06:48 PM
I saw Oreo today and she is getting HUGE!! I'm kind of worried because she is a very small cat. She pretty much stopped growing at around 7 months old.