PDA

View Full Version : emergency help!

Sevaede
04-29-2006, 12:20 AM
Something is, I believe, HIGHLY wrong with my gerbil (Mortos). We have had him for two weeks (tomorrow). He is starting to lose all the fur on his tail. Also, his tail is become purple and it looks like the tip of it is withering/rotting away. What should I do? I am searching on google right now but I don't know how to help him! :( He has never been out unless we've been holding him. So, I know it wasn't one of the cats. Aw man. what to do... :(

Suki Wingy
04-29-2006, 12:29 AM
:( I don't know! Call the vet?

Sevaede
04-29-2006, 12:52 AM
:( I don't know! Call the vet?

None of the vets, including mine, are open tomorrow. Aw man. I hope my little Mortos isn't sick and/or dying. Why, oh why, did I get my gerbil from a pet store? (Because he just had a certain "You! PICK ME!" air about him.) :confused: :( :(

jackie
04-29-2006, 04:37 AM
Take him into the vets asap. I hope he is alright.

IRescue452
04-29-2006, 08:04 AM
sounds like tyzzers disease
http://www.gerbils.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/gerbils/tyzzers.htm

Antibiotic treatment of infected animals has yielded variable results. A number of studies have examined various antibiotics for treatment of Tyzzer's disease. Although techniques and evaluation methods varied, tetracycline, oxytetracycline, and penicillin were the most effective antibiotics for alleviation of clinical signs due to C. piliforme infection.
You can get most of these at the pet store labeled wet tail treatment or labeled as other gerbil antibiotics.

If it is this, make sure you clean everything:It is important to remember that whilst Tyzzer's disease is a common cause of illness in rodents there are other conditions like Listeria, Salmonella and E. coli which can also cause serious illness and death. In many cases the symptoms of these can be similar and they should be dealt with in a similar way. These diseases have an important difference from Tyzzer's disease. All of them are potentially very dangerous for humans and can be fatal to young, ill or elderly people. For this reason no illness of rodents should be treated in a cavalier way. If disease appears it is important to review husbandry practices, treat infected animals if appropriate and to ensure that all sources of illness are destroyed or sterilised.

Miss Z
04-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Gerbils can suffer tail loss from excessive handling or too much stress. Have you ever tried to catch him and accidently ended up holding onto the tip of his tail? I know how easy it is to do that from experience with Tia (rat) so I'm not blaming you for causing it. The skin on the tail is very loose and it is in the gerbil's nature to shed the tail, like a lizard loses its tail to distract predators. I don't know if he that's the cause, but it could be.Try and get him to a vet as soon as they re-open. I really hope he's OK. ((hugs)) to you.