PDA

View Full Version : Puppy crate training

*LabLoverKEB*
04-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Hello all, as many of you know, my family will be getting a female Golden Retriever puppy in May, (most likely the last two weeks of school)... and my dad says he wants a book on crate training.
If any of you guys have trained/know how to to crate train a puppy, any advice would be greatley appreciated!
Also, any suggestions on where to buy a resonably priced wire crate??
http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/standard/March05/54914_44f6d.jpg
Thanks!!!

BitsyNaceyDog
04-29-2006, 09:05 AM
I'm going crate shopping tomorrow for Jake (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=103753), I'll let you know what I find. I've been using a borrowed crate.

I've crate trained all my dogs and always will. My dogs love their crates. Their crate becomes their "den", their safe place. I feed them in their crates and they sleep in them at night.

Alysser
04-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Make the dog feel safe in the crate When he/she goes into the crate praise the dog with treats and goodies. Also, put a favorite toy in the crate and a blanket/towel. They need something warm to cuddle with and feel safe! Good luck and CONGRATS on your pup Sarah.

dab_20
04-29-2006, 10:47 AM
I got Sam's crate at petsmart for a reasonable price.

First, never force the puppy into the crate. Let him/her go into it by him/her self, then praise and give a treat. For the first month or two, always feed in the crate, as the puppy will associate the crate with food. I did that with Sam and he loves his crate. When it's time to go in, try to get the pup to walk in by itself and say 'kennel' (or whatever word you want to use). When he/she crys because they want out, ignore her/him until she/he's quiet. Good luck and I can't wait to see pics of the cutie!!

Roxyluvsme13
04-29-2006, 10:57 AM
I never crate trained my dogs, so I can't help you there :p.
Sometimes places online like Drs. Foster and Smith have some wire crates on sale.

Karen
04-29-2006, 11:05 AM
Also check craigslist, your local Want Ads - there are often perfectly good used crates available.

Alysser
04-29-2006, 11:40 AM
If you have a Petco near you here arew some crates they sell. I really can't recommend anything, as I don't buy crates from Petco often.
http://petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?Nav=180&sku=695475&R=9082&enemerch=1

Here are three wire crates they sell:
http://petco.com/Shop/ProductList.aspx?PC=productlist&Nav=180&N=22+97+30+5668

*LabLoverKEB*
04-29-2006, 12:39 PM
You guys don't know how much I appreicate your help!
Alyssa, thanks for posting those sites- i've got them bookmarked now! ;)

We will be naming her Lucy-don't have a 'middle' name yet! :D :o
Also, the next time we are a Petco, we will be buying a few things for the pup: collor, leash, i.d.tag, probably the crate, bed, and a few toys!
Thanks again, I'm SOOOO excited! :) :D

dab_20
04-29-2006, 12:56 PM
You guys don't know how much I appreicate your help!
Alyssa, thanks for posting those sites- i've got them bookmarked now! ;)

We will be naming her Lucy-don't have a 'middle' name yet! :D :o
Also, the next time we are a Petco, we will be buying a few things for the pup: collor, leash, i.d.tag, probably the crate, bed, and a few toys!
Thanks again, I'm SOOOO excited! :) :D

I LOVE the name Lucy!! My golden on nintendogs is named Lucy. lol :)

*LabLoverKEB*
04-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Hehehe, lol!
Since there really aren't enough hours in a day... there really isn't enough time do do everything you want!
So, we'll have to go to PetCo tomorrow! :rolleyes: :p

dab_20
04-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Hehehe, lol!
Since there really aren't enough hours in a day... there really isn't enough time do do everything you want!
So, we'll have to go to PetCo tomorrow! :rolleyes: :p

Never does seem like there's enough time. I think going shopping for my dogs is more fun then going shopping for myself! ;) My friends think I'm nuts.

BTW This is the crate I got Sam.
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 9365&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302035804&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1146359346209&itemNo=2&In=Dog&N=2035804&Ne=2

Also, make sure you don't keep the collar on, Sam got hooked by the collar and hung himself one time. :eek:

*LabLoverKEB*
04-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Ok, sorry to confuse you all! We actually did end up going to PetCo today!
We got her a little hunter green collar, a red kong, a booda bimples bone, and a housetraining book! Oh, yeah, and my dad wanted this balck Labby coffe cup, so he got it! ;)
Gosh, I'm so freaking excited!!!:)
Dab_20, oh, gosh... I've heard horror stories about how people leave the collar on dogs, and they end up really injuring themselves! :( I've also heard stories about people leaving their dogs tied up on decks, (with a choke collar on) and the dogs jumping over the deck, and end up strangling themsleves to death! :eek:

Alysser
04-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Aw, what a pretty name. And no problem. I hope those crates are good. :D I would actually recommend the one with two doors. It's a faster way to get the dog out "just in case". ;) One example, I come to steal lil' Lucy lol. :p

labmomma
04-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Both of my Labs are crate trained and they love their little private dens. At night, when I call them in for bed they automatically go to their crate and wait for their "good night" treat. I wish my crates had two doors to make it easier to rearrange if I want to.
Your book on house training should have a section on crate training as does "http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html", a website with real good information.
Good luck with your new puppy,
Donna :)

BitsyNaceyDog
05-05-2006, 08:47 PM
I'm sorry, we weren't able to go crate shopping last weekend as we'd planned. We went today. We went to both Petco and PetSmart. PetSmart's prices were considerably cheaper. The crate we decided on was $99 at PetSmart and the exact same crate was over $140 at Petco. :eek: I couldn't believe the difference.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-06-2006, 05:36 PM
I know what you mean, KBlaix... PetCO crates are very expensive! :eek: :rolleyes:
I don't see why, though. I'm thinking we're going to have to borrow a crate from a friend or something...
Thanks everyone!