PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Aquariums

*future vet*
04-28-2006, 05:03 PM
I was wondering what supplies you need to have to get a saltwater aquarium...(besides fish and a tank ;) .) I already have a tank. If I can clean my room and make a nice spot on my shelf, I think it would be fun.
Thanks!

IRescue452
04-28-2006, 05:51 PM
20 gallon aquarium
cover w/light
100 watt deluxe heater
digital thermometer
Challenger 1 air pump
10 feet air line tubing
6 airstone
Penguin 160 power filter
20 lbs. crushed coral
25 gallon sea salt mix
Seatest hydrometer

Here's a general list for a 20 gallon. I honestly don't think you need that many airstones though. Keep in mind that tanks weigh 8 pounds per gallon plus supplies. Even a small ten gallon, which can't house many saltwater fish, can weigh over 100 pounds, so you need to make sure the shelf it is on is stable. How big is your tank?

Jessika
04-28-2006, 05:59 PM
For saltwater it is REALLY suggested you start with a large tank and THEN work your way down to a smaller one. Thats because if something is unbalanced it takes longer to affect the whole tank so you have more time to fix problems whereas with a smaller tank it will affect it almost immediately and you can have a tank full of dead fish very quickly. And most places do not guarantee saltwater fish, AND they are expensive, so I do suggest starting with the largest tank you can afford and only getting a couple of cheap fish to start out with until you get the hang of things.

*future vet*
04-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Ok, thanks! I'm not sure how big the tank is, not very big, do you think freshwater fish would probably be better? I don't think I'd have enough space with all the other things in my room for a large aquarium. Thank you very much again!! :)

IRescue452
04-28-2006, 10:32 PM
If you can get measurements of the tank, height width and length I can convert it to gallons. Then it will be easier to help pick a setup.

jackie
04-29-2006, 04:42 AM
Saltwater tanks can be VERY expensive. I have seen some corals priced at over 4000 USD.

I have a fresh water tank, and I am more than happy with it.

*future vet*
04-29-2006, 08:57 AM
If you can get measurements of the tank, height width and length I can convert it to gallons. Then it will be easier to help pick a setup.

Ok, I'll try to get some measurements later today, the tank is outside. :)