PDA

View Full Version : Why could a family dog kill kittens?

4theloveofzoe
04-28-2006, 03:10 PM
I already posted this in the behavior section of pet talk, but you wonderful ladies here, usually give me great advice here... So I'm just wondering...

What would make a family dog kill kittens?

This is the situation...

My XSIL has about 13 cats (6 of them kittens) and 4 dogs (one of them small, and the other 3 bigger breeds) up in a 2 bedroom apartment. Over the last three days, she has discovered that the female black lab, has killed two of the kittens. (they were around 4 weeks old) She actually caught her doing it. She's 10 years old, and a wonderful family dog. Wouldn't hurt a fly. Could the cramped conditions have anything to do with this? :confused: Or is this just normal agressive behavior?

dab_20
04-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Dogs are dogs and most will do that because of their instincts. She should have never trusted her dog with newborn kittens. It may seem cruel, but it's just the dog's instincts. I'm sorry about the kittens. :(

moosmom
04-28-2006, 03:39 PM
She's got WAAAAAYYYY too many animals for a 2 bedroom apartment. I think that coupled with territorial issues is the problem.

4theloveofzoe
04-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Dogs are dogs and most will do that because of their instincts. She should have never trusted her dog with newborn kittens. It may seem cruel, but it's just the dog's instincts. I'm sorry about the kittens. :(

To be honest with you, I think it's for the best.

But I was just curious why she would kill kittens.

I never thought of the Cat vs. Dog thing.

4theloveofzoe
04-28-2006, 03:53 PM
She's got WAAAAAYYYY too many animals for a 2 bedroom apartment. I think that coupled with territorial issues is the problem.

I thought so too.

She's supposed to be getting a 2 bedroom house out in the country.
I've offered to take one of the kittens, but her 11 and 12 year old told me NO! And she has another female cat ready to pop any day n ow.

dab_20
04-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Oh, wow I must have missed how many animals she had. Sounds like that is way too much! I can't even imagine.

dab_20
04-28-2006, 04:03 PM

But I was just curious why she would kill kittens.

I never thought of the Cat vs. Dog thing.

Yeah, it could also be because of the cramped space, too.

Glacier
04-28-2006, 04:21 PM
I posted a response in behavior as well, but basically....the dog is killing the kittens because she can! She is a dog, dogs do stuff like that. She needs to be kept completely seperated from the remaining kittens at all times. Kittens look, sound and move like prey.

My own lovely, sweet, gentle dogs have killed one of my cats--because they had the opportunity to--Dominique was where she shouldn't have been, I didn't know she was there, the dogs killed her. She was not a pack member or a loved pet to them. She was prey. They couldn't tell she was any different from a bird, squirrel or a mouse. Was it their fault? Nope, it was mine. I failed Dominique. The dogs were not vendicitive, aggressive or mean to her or me. They were simply dogs acting on their natural instincts. (which does not mean I wasn't angry and heartbroken because of their actions, but they were not at fault).

This is not aggression. The dog is no more likely to bite now than she was before she killed a kitten. Prey drive and aggression are completely seperate things.

Your sister's home sounds terribly overcrowded. I don't think this behavior is territorial. However, I think she should expect territorial behavior from the dogs and they will likely focus it on each other. That little dog is in danger, IMO.

dab_20
04-28-2006, 05:18 PM
I coulden't have said it better, Glacier.

Lori Jordan
04-28-2006, 05:25 PM
I guess i lucked out all my dogs even the Newf are real gentle with my little baby kitten the cats even allow them to stick there heads in the box the baby is in,Now the puppy!!lol he thinks everybody should be playful so he aint allowed in my daughters room were the baby is being kept.

4theloveofzoe
04-28-2006, 05:41 PM
I coulden't have said it better, Glacier.

Your dog is sooooo cute. I just wanna cuddle with it. :)

zoomer
04-28-2006, 05:43 PM
A dog is a dog and doing that is the instincts. Labradors were practicly bred to retrieve small animals, so it is just behavioral instincts, I do not think she should have unspayed and unneatered cats around the house because with dogs you never know what will happen... it is not the dogs fault. It is just instincts.

dab_20
04-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Your dog is sooooo cute. I just wanna cuddle with it. :)

Thank you! Molli would love to cuddle with you. :)

4theloveofzoe
04-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks everyone!

Jessika
04-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Well I have a two bedroom apartment too, mine pretty small (or decent sized anyway) but I have seen some BIG two bedroom apartments, so I suppose a more accurate depiction of how big the place is is square footage, not just bedrooms alone.

Anyway. Dogs are prey driven. Small animals (kittens included) can and will be seen as prey to some dogs, especially hunting dogs such as Labs. They have prey drive and have been know to hunt, stalk, and even kill small animals. Not on purpose, not because they are "mean", not because they are "aggressive", but just because that is how they were born and bred. She should NEVER have trusted the dog alone with the tiny kittens.

I guess i lucked out all my dogs even the Newf are real gentle with my little baby kitten the cats even allow them to stick there heads in the box the baby is in,Now the puppy!!lol he thinks everybody should be playful so he aint allowed in my daughters room were the baby is being kept.

HAha the worst my two will do to my kitty is try to herd him around the house

lbaker
04-28-2006, 07:24 PM
I have been extremely lucky in that I have never had a "one dog" or "one cat" household. When new kittens are around they just think dogs are part of our pack - and whatever dogs are around just think "well, there's another silly dog wannabe". Same with a new puppy. They come into a house with multi-critters and it's their place to try to fit in. My first border collie puppy tried to herd the cats ~ they taught the puppy very quickly that cats don't "do" being herded :rolleyes: Thank you powers that be. :D

DJFyrewolf36
04-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Shiloh is agressive with the cats, more if he is confined someplace with them (Ive had to shoo all the critters into the garage for short periods). I do think sometimes the more cramped the quarters, even the most non-agressive prey driven dogs can hurt another animal, especially a cat. Also, Ive noticed with Shiloh that he gets a lot more snippy with the cats if theyre antagonising him (batting at his ears etc) and kittens are prone to doing this as they don't know yet that a dog can hurt them. I supervise Shiloh around Pandora for this exact reason.

Were the kittens "runts" or weaker than the others in some way? Dogs pick up on this too and will sometimes view weak cats as a prey item (at least this has been my experence)

bckrazy
04-28-2006, 08:38 PM

It's for the best that the dog killed the kittens? :/ I hope I read that wrong, if that's what you were getting at that is jacked up!

The animals should not have to suffer because of collecting issues with your XSIL. That's really gross, IMHO, and she needs to adopt out at least half of her animals to loving homes! I would not trust my mushy little BC with our full-grown cat, much less a huge dog with newborn kittens. x( I don't blame the dog at all, that is cruelty.

cyber-sibes
04-29-2006, 09:26 AM
While mine have never killed kittens or cats, I have seen them come close for two reasons:

1)The cat ran, and they kicked into "prey drive" instinct (and this is after living with this particular cat their whole lives :eek: )

2) Star lOVES cats and was playing with my son's kitten, who also adored her. But Star got a little too rough and I thought she would accidently kill the kitten while trying to have fun - so no more kitten playtimes.

Is it possible the lab was trying to play with the kittens?

Lori Jordan
04-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Well I have a two bedroom apartment too, mine pretty small (or decent sized anyway) but I have seen some BIG two bedroom apartments, so I suppose a more accurate depiction of how big the place is is square footage, not just bedrooms alone.

Anyway. Dogs are prey driven. Small animals (kittens included) can and will be seen as prey to some dogs, especially hunting dogs such as Labs. They have prey drive and have been know to hunt, stalk, and even kill small animals. Not on purpose, not because they are "mean", not because they are "aggressive", but just because that is how they were born and bred. She should NEVER have trusted the dog alone with the tiny kittens.

HAha the worst my two will do to my kitty is try to herd him around the house
Mine too lol since they are hearders my Border Collie i find worse she even try's too herd me around sometimes!!!

luvofallhorses
04-29-2006, 09:35 PM
It's for the best that the dog killed the kittens? :/ I hope I read that wrong, if that's what you were getting at that is jacked up!

The animals should not have to suffer because of collecting issues with your XSIL. That's really gross, IMHO, and she needs to adopt out at least half of her animals to loving homes! I would not trust my mushy little BC with our full-grown cat, much less a huge dog with newborn kittens. x( I don't blame the dog at all, that is cruelty.

I agree.

Lori Jordan
04-30-2006, 07:56 AM
I did not see that "it's for the best"i dont know how any animal lover could think that way.Poor little babies!!!

finn's mom
04-30-2006, 08:50 AM
I think she said "it's for the best", because of the situation. No, no animal should suffer. And, I think you'll find that she agrees with that, and, wasn't saying she was glad they suffered. It's a cliche used when someone or something is in a bad situation, whether it be a sick person or an ailing pet, or animals in deplorable situations. Just my two cents.

And, it does sound like straight forward prey drive. That's a crappy situation all around. And, a question for you, what the heck do the kids there have to do with you adopting a kitten or two? It's not up to them. Again, my two cents. :)

4theloveofzoe
05-03-2006, 01:04 AM
I think she said "it's for the best", because of the situation. No, no animal should suffer. And, I think you'll find that she agrees with that, and, wasn't saying she was glad they suffered. It's a cliche used when someone or something is in a bad situation, whether it be a sick person or an ailing pet, or animals in deplorable situations. Just my two cents.

And, it does sound like straight forward prey drive. That's a crappy situation all around. And, a question for you, what the heck do the kids there have to do with you adopting a kitten or two? It's not up to them. Again, my two cents. :)

Thank you for correcting their "wrong and rude thoughts"

The kids rule the household.

finn's mom
05-03-2006, 02:27 AM
Thank you for correcting their "wrong and rude thoughts"

The kids rule the household.

You're welcome. And, that sucks. :/ And, it sucks that you're leaving, too. But, I also understand. Offering my two cents again (what is it now, six cents? ;)), I think you should stick around and just pm the people who are offering to help, and, not being as judgemental. You know who your friends are, as do I. Do what I do, and, stick with them. And, I wish you the very best of luck.