PDA

View Full Version : Who knows....

lv4dogs
04-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Who knows how I could find out what the laws are about taking plants & rocks from a forest or creekbed? Would the laws be the same for the entire country, state, county or would they vary by town?
I have already tried calling the loal town clerk & the building & zoning inspector, no one there knows the laws nor could they direct me to who would know the answer.

You see I would like to put a few ferns in a flower bed (too shaddy for flowers to grow) and I also want some rocks to use as a border along said flower bed.

There are rocks & ferns galore in every forest near me. I figure if I can get them for free that would be great!

Karen
04-28-2006, 12:00 PM
For you, see

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/heritage/plantlaw.htm

Probably if you avoid anything on those protected lists, you'd be okay.

gini
04-28-2006, 12:03 PM
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dlf/index.html

Try this site, perhaps it will explain.

lv4dogs
04-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Gosh, so far I have called the town AND county court clerks, building & zoning, parks department, police & sheriff and no one has an answer! How weird.

lv4dogs
04-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Oops, forgot to say thanks for the links. The one Karen posted doesn't really state anything besides endangered & threatened plants, but nothing about rocks. lol

I skimmed through the other link, same thing so far but I'll look more closely.

Jadapit
04-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Try calling your forest service I bet they can help you out. :)

lv4dogs
04-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Try calling your forest service I bet they can help you out. :)

I just called the DEC and even they don't know for sure.
They said they discourage plants to be disturbed because they like to support the local nurseries but they said they don't know if it is actually illegal or not. :eek: I just don't get it, all state, county & town officials have no idea on the laws!!!!

BUT the county sheriff's took all my info, name, addy, phone # etc... and put it in their records. Since no one could find an answer I will NOT be charged should I get caught & it is illegal. :D :D

Jadapit
04-28-2006, 12:42 PM
:D You will have to take pictures of the rocks and plants you get. That's crazy how no one knows the laws on that stuff. Go figure. ;)

lv4dogs
04-28-2006, 12:58 PM
That's crazy how no one knows the laws on that stuff. Go figure. ;)

I know, what a world we live in ay? :rolleyes: Just boggles my mind.