PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED, need more help, cat with water bowl issues

lv4dogs
04-28-2006, 09:24 AM
UPDATE, 5/2/06

I appreciate all the help & suggestions but we need more. Seems we have "Super Kitty" in our hands, super kitty who REALLY enjoys water. We have tried every piece of advice & so far nothing is working. Multiple times a day there is gallons of water spilled onto the floor. This can not continue to happen, it makes a mess but like I said before most importantly all the other animals are without water due to Pickles.

There just is no room to keep Pickles & his neccesatities confined in a seperate room. And even if we did so he'd still be without water anyways as he spills it.

We think he is tipping AND splashing the water as some of the bowls are so heavy & "seem" tip proof yet he empties them out completely. And we have seen him do both, of course when we see him we stop him but we aren't exactly sure what he does to empty the bowl completely, if it's more splashing than tipping or vice-versa. Since it's a combination of both we really are our witts end I think.

We have tried:(ALL bowls are very large heavy bowls)
round & square ceramic dish
round pyrex glass dish & bowl
Stainless steel NO skid & NO TIP dog bowl
plastic square no skip & no tip dog bowl
put dishes inside of other dishes (even larger ones to catch the spilled water, the water still gets everywhere, I think cause it then gets splashed & spilled out of the other container)

We have also tried to teach him not to do it, but punishing him when he does it, either by "scaring" him off with a hiss, squirting with water gun (doesn't work at all), and we also use a shaker can.
There are two things I am concerned about, first is that I don't want him to become scared of the water bowl though, he needs to drink and two, it doesn't seem to be working anyways. lol

He's a great cat but this problem can not go on, especially with the warmer weather on it's way. We can't seem to think of anything else for the life of us.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Joe's cats, Pickles & Handsome moved in about a week ago. They are adjusting better than we thought as they are both pretty "nervous/cautious/angry/etc..." type of cats but they still have a little more settling in to do. Both are fixed male Maine Coon mixes. Pickles is adjusting better than Handsome but in time I have a strong feeling that they will fit right in.

Pickles has always had the obsession to tip over water bowls. In their old home their was less animals so Joe would just keep very little water in the bowls. At my house there are a lot more animals & a larger bowl is needed.

Pickles tips over my approx 1 gallon heavy glass mixing bowl multiple times a day. This gets to be very messy and most importantly if it is tipped when we are gone for the day the animals will have no water.

I am trying to find a LARGE NON TIP water bowl, but I was also wondering about other suggestions. Is it possible to teach a cat not to do this? I doubt it but thought I'd try. lol

Or if anyone can suggest a very large non tip dish that would work I'd appreciate it. You can see this thread for more info:
tipping water dish (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=103796)

Craftlady
04-28-2006, 09:29 AM
I use heavy ceramic bowl now for one water station.
Also have 2 water fountains for other sources of water. They cant tip them or the bowl over :)

kb2yjx
04-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Try looking at the Foster and Smith website. I get their catalogues and I think they may have a water bowl that is cannot to tipped over. I just found it in the catalogue. There are three sizes: 12 oz, 24 oz, and 52 oz. Each has a different item number( VD-7256, VD-946, VD-947).
Here is the website: DrsFosterSmith.com 1-800-826-7206
GOOD LUCK!!

sasvermont
04-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Good luck. I have a cat (Juni Rose) and she cannot pass by a glass with liquid in it without tipping it over. She does it with empty glasses too, but the most messy tipping events are the ones I remember. I think it may be a game for them

I would buy a large, heavy, ceramic, flat bottomed bowl or even a quiche dish would do.

My bunnies like to tip their bowls too.

P-E-T-S!

:rolleyes:

aki
04-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Good luck. I have a cat (Juni Rose) and she cannot pass by a glass with liquid in it without tipping it over. She does it with empty glasses too, but the most messy tipping events are the ones I remember. I think it may be a game for them

I would buy a large, heavy, ceramic, flat bottomed bowl or even a quiche dish would do.

My bunnies like to tip their bowls too.

P-E-T-S!

:rolleyes:

Chuck does the exact same thing! Tips water glasses over.

He also sticks both front paws in his water bowl before drinking out of it.

lv4dogs
04-28-2006, 09:52 AM

I have a few that I cook with, I tried one out and it doesn't hold up to Sir Pickles. :rolleyes: He can tip it over with ease.

Try looking at the Foster and Smith website. I get their catalogues and I think they may have a water bowl that is cannot to tipped over. I just found it in the catalogue. There are three sizes: 12 oz, 24 oz, and 52 oz.

I need something bigger than that. I have 4 large dogs & 4 cats drinking out of it. I prefer at least a gallon but would consider a 96oz as the absolute smallest size.
I found a website with 96oz no tip bowls but my friend said that her small dog can still tip them over. :rolleyes:

emily_the_spoiled
04-28-2006, 10:16 AM
I have a couple of the fountains with a rubber mat underneath them and the gang can not tip those over. Have you looked at those stainless steel bowls with a rubber grip on the bottom?

lvpets2002
04-28-2006, 10:31 AM
:) Well I have a couple of bowl tippers & I have two water bowls in the bath tub & they love the location & if they tip the bowl then there is no mess.. Or get a heavy bowl so the baby cant move with the paw..

Laura's Babies
04-28-2006, 10:33 AM
How about having someone making you a large bowl holder to set the bowl in? Or set the water bowl down into some kind of container that would catch the water (like a tub or something?).

My friend Mike has a cat, his Klinger, that likes to throw his dry food in the water bowl to dunk it before he eats it and in scooping it out, he splashes the water everywhere so he made a holder for the water bowl that is up high and that solved that problem.

Lizzie
04-28-2006, 10:47 AM
If you don't mind using plastic, you could try a large square wash bowl and put it inside a cardboard box on the floor that is just big enough for the bowl.

I can't imagine training a cat not to do this. You can hardly squirt him with water every time you see him do it since he likes getting sloshed with water and you are not there most of the time he does it.

RedHedd
04-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Oh dear a Maine Coon with water issues - how unique (NOT!). :p They ARE water cats. DO NOT USE PLASTIC ever for cats as it can cause skin problems. You've gotten many good suggestions here. I use a heavy ceramic bowl for Mishi. He's not a water bowl tipper, but he usually prefers to drink his water straight from the source - the bathtub faucet. Good luck and may we get pictures of your solutions/results? ;)

lv4dogs
04-28-2006, 11:09 AM
How about having someone making you a large bowl holder to set the bowl in? Or set the water boal down into some kind of container that would catch the water (like a tub or something?).

Now thats a great idea! I'll have to do some looking & asking around, hopefully we can come up with something to set the bowl in, making it impossible to tip over. Now if I can only find something temp. until this gets made. lol

sasvermont
04-28-2006, 11:15 AM
This winter I had to buy a heated water bowl for the bunnies since they resided on my porch all winter and their water would freeze if left unheated. I knew that they were "tippers" big time, so I duct taped the bowl to a plastic cutting board, about 15 x 20 inches. Of course I had to take up the entire contraption each time I wanted to wash it, but it worked. It didn't look very pretty!

Hope this helps.

RICHARD
04-30-2006, 02:42 AM
Name the "lake" after them and move on with your life! ;)

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=66353&highlight=lake+edward

catmandu
04-30-2006, 08:04 AM
They have tipped bowls over but have never upset the Pet Mate Fountain.
I hope that that solves your Problems.
I know that Water all over the Floor is a Pain.

lv4dogs
05-02-2006, 08:41 AM
Bumping, update at the top, first post, NOTHING seems to be working. UUGGHH

critter crazy
05-02-2006, 08:47 AM
our kitty used to tip her water dish over as well!! we finally got her a water fountain and havent had a problem since!! I hope you can fix the problem!! them darn nnaughty kitty's!! our lives would be so dull without them!!:p

lv4dogs
05-02-2006, 08:49 AM
our kitty used to tip her water dish over as well!! we finally got her a water fountain and havent had a problem since!! I hope you can fix the problem!! them darn nnaughty kitty's!! our lives would be so dull without them!!:p

Thats what I was thinking, but then I think, what if he's splashing most of it out of the dish, then that would be a big waste of money cause he'll just continue to splash away.
Not only that but it needs to be stainless steel, glass or ceramic. Plastic is just way to dirty of a dish, I'll never ever use plastic dishes for my critters unless it is very short term.

critter crazy
05-02-2006, 08:56 AM
I agree you will have a problem still if he is just splashing the water out! and yes plastic does get dirty! but i wash mine out with soap and water everyday, otherwise it will get very dirty!! It is the only plastice dish they have and i take very good care to keep it clean! They have some cheap ones at wal-mart if you atleast would like to give it a try! good luck to you!!:p

lv4dogs
05-02-2006, 09:07 AM
I agree you will have a problem still if he is just splashing the water out! and yes plastic does get dirty! but i wash mine out with soap and water everyday, otherwise it will get very dirty!! It is the only plastice dish they have and i take very good care to keep it clean! They have some cheap ones at wal-mart if you atleast would like to give it a try! good luck to you!!:p

I'm not really talking about dirty as in visable dirt, but plastic is so pourous that bacteria hides very well in plastic dishes even with thorough cleaning & sterilization. Tiki & Raustyk both get those "plastic pimples" on their faces when they use a plastic dish for more than a few days in a row. Otherwise I would for sure give it a try.
Why does Pickles have to be so difficult. :rolleyes:

critter crazy
05-02-2006, 09:19 AM
I'm not really talking about dirty as in visable dirt, but plastic is so pourous that bacteria hides very well in plastic dishes even with thorough cleaning & sterilization. Tiki & Raustyk both get those "plastic pimples" on their faces when they use a plastic dish for more than a few days in a row. Otherwise I would for sure give it a try.
Why does Pickles have to be so difficult. :rolleyes:

pickles is difficult because he can be!!! he he he he he!!! i understand what you are saying about plastic, but cinamon hasnt had a problem yet. and we replace ours every year. once again good luck!!

lv4dogs
05-02-2006, 01:20 PM
pickles is difficult because he can be!!! he he he he he!!!

I know it's a joke, but thats not allowed in my house. lol He can NOT be difficult. lol

Husky_mom
05-02-2006, 02:22 PM
honestly i havent read this whole thread, but since you are still looking for help...........

how about some water thingy like the ones used for hamsters and such but big enough for all kitties and dogs............no bowl to tip and no water to spill :D

tha only problem is where to put it in case that it works for you

emily_the_spoiled
05-03-2006, 07:37 AM
If you are worried about the plastic fountains, you can run them through the dishwasher to clean them. That will kill any bacteria that might be growing.

barncat
05-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Captain loves play n the water....he floats all his toys. In order to contain the mess, the water bowl is a large bowl that I set in the bathroom sink. There is not room to spill it easily although sometimes he does turn it over somehow.

He doesn't mess with the dogs bowls.

You could put a bowl in your tub if the animals aren't allowed on the counters... He still might spill but at least it would hve a drain.