PDA

View Full Version : Bully sticks???

frawri
04-27-2006, 02:05 PM
HI group, I am looking at trying some chews that my dogs can have. I have heard a lot of good and bad about rawhides. Some one told me about Bully Sticks. They are supposed to be the muscle of a cow rather then the skin like rawhides. I just want to know, do you still have the same problems with dogs swallowing them to fast and causing injury to either their esophagus, or their intestines. I have two chi's, and they surprisingly can chew up big bones I give them. So I have stopped that, I don't want them getting any sharp points into their tummies. I need something they can chew for chewing sake. I only give them these things when I am around to watch over them. So no worries there. Also what about pig’s ears, doesn't that cause the same problems as beef rawhides do?

zoomer
04-27-2006, 02:09 PM
I have never given my dogs Bully sticks but I do know about pig ears. They are not bad, but if chewed too quickly, the dog can choke on them easily. Rawhides are not good for dogs, if left or barried they can get soggy and moldy, hurting the dog if it is later eaten, it is not healthy either, no matter how much the pet store or advertiser claims it is it is not so please do not buy rawhides... any kind!

Vela
04-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Bully sticks are great. They are 100% muscle and 100% digestible. I use them with my dogs for chews, that or raw meaty bones. Like with any chew you have to watch them while they are chewing but being chis they probably wouldn't be able to eay anything big enough to choke on. It's like a big piece of really hard beef jerky. My boxers love them. Cheaper to get them online though, rather than at the pet store, and when you get them make sure they are actual bully sticks, rather than rolled up rawhide some companies try to pass off as bully stick. They do smell a little bit sometimes but I don't mind because mine love them so much. I have never had a problem and mine have had them for 3 years, since my boy was a pup.

K9soul
04-27-2006, 02:23 PM
My two absolutely love bully sticks and have had no problems with them. Mine have never gotten "chunks" off them that they could choke on and they are completely digestable as Vela said. I order mine in bulk from here, the 12" ones 30 at a time. Cheaper overall that way than any pet store and they are good quality sticks.

http://www.e-petsboutique.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4&zenid=3995404b13a187ff1a4bbf12cadb6bdc

Chica
04-27-2006, 06:24 PM
IF YOU HAVE SMALL DOGS, BE CAREFULL WITH BULLY STICKS BECAUSE IF TO MANY ARE EATEN AT ONE TIME, THEY CAN BLOCK THE INTESTINES!!!! ;)CHICA HAD THAT PROBLEM BECAUSE I DIDN'T KNOW I GAVE HER TO MANY TO CHEW. SHE GOT SICK FROM THE BLOCKAGE AND I HAD TO TAKE HER TO THE EMERGENCY VET HOSPITAL TO GET TREATED. :) SO BE CAREFULL!!!

Vela
04-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Good to know about the small dogs, although I only give one every few days like I do any treates, and they don't actually get pieces off in chunks so it's probably safe as long as you don't overfeed. Good to know!