PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Fred

ChrisH
04-27-2006, 03:44 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Miscellaneous/Fred.jpg

On what would have been his birthday, I would like to tell you something of my hubby Fred and about ‘us‘. I do not want to bore you too much though so I will make it brief.

It seems like I had loved him always. He was a friend of my both of my brothers and at ten years older than I, a dark-haired handsome man with such beautiful blue eyes, he appeared to me to be something out of a fairy-tale.
Well, I got my prince, but there wasn’t any fairytale ending, not with my being nearly 16 and pregnant. All hell broke loose. It was early ‘60s, and at that time in my little part of the world, being pregnant and unwed was viewed as a big disgrace. Of course the usual thing to do would be a wedding followed by a ‘premature’ birth but my mum was having none of it. We were parted.

Fast forward
In 1973 we met up once again - I won’t bother with long explanations of the whys and wherefores - and found we still felt the same about each other and, yet once more causing a storm in my family, we finally married on October 20th.
Eight years we had together. Happy years? Mostly. He was the most maddening, awkward man and our rows were spectacular.
But we were also each other’s best friend and bad feelings never lingered. Besides we laughed and talked much more than we rowed,

That’s about it really. It has been a long time since he died, I didn’t think I could do it but, as he told me I would, I made a life for myself. I’m not the same person I was then and I don’t live in the past but always around this time of year memories nudge me. Sometimes a song, a film, sometimes maybe just a kind of smell in the air, springtime. And I remember, I remember Fred.

Pam
04-27-2006, 06:07 AM
Chris what a beautiful tribute to a very handsome man. I'm so sorry you lost all of those years with him, especially since your life together was cut short.

A very good friend of mine went through something similar. Her family ended her relationship with the man she loved when she was in her early 20's as he was *from the wrong side of the tracks.* They both found other people and moved on with their lives. About five years ago they once again found each other after 30 years. She was a divorcee and he was a widower. They married after a brief courtship but Joe developed colon/liver/kidney cancer after only two years with her and died.Life can be so cruel can't it?

Thank you, Chris, for allowing us this glimpse into your life. I know that the child you bore is a great blessing to you. It is a little bit of Fred left behind for you and now of course the blessings go on as you are a grandmom too. ((((hugs))))

Barbara
04-27-2006, 06:12 AM
{{{{Hugs}}}}
What a beautiful tribute.

moosmom
04-27-2006, 07:04 AM
Chris,

What a beautiful, loving tribute to Fred! People and things come in our lives and while some just pass through, others like your Fred, make it a lasting wonderful memory.

((((((HUGS)))))))))) to you on this sad day.

cyber-sibes
04-27-2006, 08:52 AM
What a sweet tribute, I hope sharing your memories helps heal the pain of losing him, even if just a little. Very nice picture and quote, too. You can be sure he's looking in on you, too. Love never ends.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-27-2006, 09:07 AM
What a wonderful tribute, so touching!! Thanks for sharing this with us :)

HUGS!!

Cataholic
04-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Chris,
Don't apologize, or be brief, explaining to us what sounded like a remarkable man, and relationship. My heart breaks for you, and, on the other hand, for losing your love so young and so soon. On the other hand, it sounds like you really knew what love was/is. For that, you are blessed.

We, too, will remember Fred.

Hugs,
Johanna

pitc9
04-27-2006, 09:13 AM
{hugs} to you!
Sometimes life is so unfair.

ramanth
04-27-2006, 09:18 AM
A lovely tribute, Chris. *HUGS*

slick
04-27-2006, 09:30 AM
:( :( LES. Chris, I'm home today. Will call you later, OK?
{{{hugs}}}

gini
04-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Chris, I feel so honored that you could and would share this part of your life with us. Your tribute is so beautifully written that we call can capture and appreciate the love you had for each other. I am happy that you have these beautiful memories.

ChrisH
04-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all your love and kind words my PT friends. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Miscellaneous/Smilies/Hugs2.gif Please don't be too sad for me though. Fred's been gone now for nearly 25 years and I just felt that I wanted to mark his life in some way. I didn't want to do anything for the anniversary of his death, May 3rd, because that will also be my son & dil 20th wedding anniversary! (May seem odd for them to marry on that date but it did kind of replace a bad memory with a good one.)

Anyhow, as I said, don't be sad for me, I consider myself lucky. Lucky to have had such a love and stronger for it too. He taught me a lot about life and people - he also taught me some colourful swear words, I needed them too, I tell you at times that man could have made a saint swear! :eek: :D

I think the saddest thing was we were never to have any more children. You see he broke his neck in a car accident in the time we were apart and although that didn't make it completely impossible for me to get pregnant I guess it just wasn't to be.

Thanks once again dear friends. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Miscellaneous/Smilies/grouphug.gif I'll stop rambling on now and leave you with a photo of the three of us. Fred was a big country music fan and this was taken at the annual C & W festival at Wembley, London. Just try not to laugh too much at what we are wearing though!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Miscellaneous/oneoff.jpg

Chris

slick http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Miscellaneous/Smilies/kiss.gif hope you are feeling better soon.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Laugh with your clothes??? You all look terrific!! AND happy too!
This is a very special pic, so thanks for sharing, Chris!

Edwina's Secretary
04-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Chris...your story is so full of love, love lost, love found. I think you should write the story and publish it! It is so very moving....

ramanth
04-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Being a country fan myself, ;) I loved the photo! :D

anna_66
04-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Chris, your words moved me to tears.

I'm sorry the two of you were parted in the beginning and now.

Many, many hugs to you.