PDA

View Full Version : Ulcers. What to do?

Sevaede
04-26-2006, 11:11 PM
A couple of months ago, my husband and I had to take Soni in to get his final boosters before he got neutered. Well, several days prior to the appointment we began to notice red sores in Sonis mouth. When husband took him to the vet he made sure to point it out. I called, later, to check up on Soni and chatted with the tech for a while about him. It turned out that they were not able to give his boosters because Soni had rodent ulcers on his mouth. He was given a couple of injections and sent home (He returned a week later for his boosters and then a week or so after that to get neutered). I think he is getting them again as I noticed a similar bump on his upper lip. Are there any preventatives or remedies that are effective in keeping them away or getting rid of them? Maybe it is the food? What causes them?

catmandu
04-27-2006, 01:10 PM
All we can offer is Prayers that your White Coats can help Soni.
Thats awful that hes suffering.

Catsnclay
04-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Good questions to ask your vet!

Is Sonis an outdoor cat???

Craftlady
04-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Here is a link about it.
Something to keep an eye on.

ulcers (http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/eulcer.html)
nasty looking photos of it on this page.

Sevaede
04-28-2006, 01:59 AM
All we can offer is Prayers that your White Coats can help Soni.
Thats awful that hes suffering.

Well, it doesn't seem to be making him suffer as he's still being a little porker. Troy (my husband) checked on, what we thought might have been, one today and it looks like it is going away by itself. He *has* been getting Amoxicillin every day (twice) since his little mishap. Hopefully the vet will be able to give us some sort of preventative.

Sevaede
04-28-2006, 02:00 AM
Good questions to ask your vet!

Is Sonis an outdoor cat???

Nope, Soni is a 100 percent indoors cat. And you could definitely tell if you saw him! :D

Sevaede
04-28-2006, 02:05 AM
Here is a link about it.
Something to keep an eye on.

ulcers (http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/eulcer.html)
nasty looking photos of it on this page.

Wow, thank you very much! Soni does not have it that severely but I want to make sure it doesn't get that bad, either. :)

kb2yjx
04-28-2006, 09:38 AM
DId the vet test for feline leukemia and feline Aids??

Laura's Babies
04-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Lets hope that was going to be only a one time event for him and there will be no more ulcers!

Sevaede
04-28-2006, 11:40 PM
DId the vet test for feline leukemia and feline Aids??

Yep. He has had his feline leukemia vaccine and booster, as well.

Sevaede
04-28-2006, 11:41 PM
Lets hope that was going to be only a one time event for him and there will be no more ulcers!

I sure hope so! :(

critters
04-29-2006, 05:19 AM
One official name for them is Eosinophilic Ulcers. They come from an overactive immune system. Purrz gets them pretty regularly, so I keep pred pills handy for the first signs of one. They can be QUITE nasty if they're allowed to run amok.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
04-29-2006, 01:16 PM
My boy, Amadeus has Eosinophilic Granuloma too. He had a ulcer on his lip and it got pretty big. I gave him Amoxi-Clav for two weeks and it helped a little. I was suspicious that he had allergies to Summit cat food and I was right. When I switched him over to Go! Natural, it healed beautifully. They are most often caused by food, flea and airborne allergies.

He is now eating Felidae and you can't even notice his ulcer anymore. It left a scar and his lip looks a little funny - but it's gone for the most part.