PDA

View Full Version : Separation Anxiety

thejeromins
02-06-2001, 11:43 AM
Last summer I posted a comment about my dog Rachel and her problem with separation anxiety. This is a followup for everyone who responded. Rachel has been to the "doggy shrink" who subscribed a daily regemin of "clomicalm" 2x per day and "valium" when we leave the house for an extended period of time (and keeping her in her crate as an added precaution so she doesn't hurt herself or the house). At the same time, we were also practising behavior training.We video taped her off and on for a couple of months to see how she progressed. When we started... she would try to get out of the crate for about 6-7 hrs straight until she would collapse from exhaustion. At the end of our taping her she stopped after about an hour. Finally, Christmas came so we decided to try leaving her out of the crate while we went visiting relatives for increasingly longer periods of time while still keeping her on the same dosages. Since that time we have not had one "incident". For the past month we have also been continuing with behaviour training while slowly decreasing the medication dosages and still having very positive results. I will keep all of you informed as time marches on. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Sudilar
02-06-2001, 05:14 PM
What wonderful news! All your work has paid off. I wish you continued success! Good luck!

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

KYS
02-06-2001, 07:53 PM
I agree that wonderful news, and
the reward is so great.
I think it also great that you
are being able to reduce her medication
and hopefully she will not longer need it.

Angels3
02-06-2001, 09:34 PM
thejeromins, thank you for posting about separation anxiety. We're trying to help our neighbours settle in a little male tibetan spaniel (desexed, 3 yrs old) that has been rehomed with them. The tib, Brockie, has shown separation anxiety, especially when the wife goes away from him.
Brockie comes into our garden to be with our dogs (2 shelties & 1 tib) sometimes. But he craves contact with a person (his new Mom) rather than with other dogs. We can't even divert him with food treats.
We're following the guidelines from the American Dog Trainers Network...at www.canine.org (http://www.canine.org) It involves ignoring any attention getting behaviour & (trying!) to train Brock to be on his own for periods of time. Clomicalm was mentioned in the guidelines but this hasn't been tried with
Brock yet. Did this medication make a big difference for Rachel? And would you have any tips for us to try with Brock?
Separation anxiety is a difficult problem & we're looking for any ideas & help.

Genia
02-06-2001, 11:22 PM
thejeromins, congratulations on your success. I, too, hope that eventually all medications will be stopped. My Jeffrey suffered from separation anxiety when we first got him. I truly was at my wits end. My solution? I got another dog. Although I didn't get the other dog (Bandit) as a companion for Jeffrey (that's another story) it made such a difference. They get along great, although Jeffrey does get jealous at times. When I'm at work he has a companion. I don't have the fraction of the problems. I congratulate you for dealing with the problem and not giving up as so many pet owners do. I know dealing with this was difficult. I'm ashamed to even remember some of the thoughts that went through my head when dealing with Jeffrey. You are a true dog's best friend.