PDA

View Full Version : Luna lost 0,5 kg - could it be from her diet?

Kirsten
04-26-2006, 01:58 PM
I bought a digital scale today which gives me the possibility to weigh my girls at home.

Luna is on a diet food for a couple of weeks; she weighed 6 kg (13,26 lb) at the vet's before I changed her diet. Now I weighed her today and it was only 5,5 kg (12,15 lb). Even though she's eating her diet food (160 - 180 kcal/day), I think losing half a kilogramm is a lot, and I will call my vet tomorrow. She's eating her food, and seems to feel fine, she's even more playfull than before. What do you think?

BTW, Lily has gained (!) weight with the same diet, she gained 0,4 kg!

Kirsten

DJFyrewolf36
04-26-2006, 02:11 PM
It sure seems like the diet is working! Congrats Luna :D

And maybe Lilly gaining a bit is just her way of saying that there needs to be the same ammount of cat in the house!

catmandu
04-26-2006, 06:11 PM
I would not worry about 500 Grams from a 6 KG Cat,as 6 KGS is a bit Heavy for a Girl Cat.
And if she likes the Food and is active,all the better.

Catsnclay
04-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Wow!! What kind of food is Luna on??

Lucky has been trying & trying to loose weight now (since the Chylothorax incident) and I thought he was on the right track, he was down to 17. something lbs. the last time we weighed him, from 21. something.

Yesterday we brought him into the vet, and he :eek: :eek: gained weight :eek: :eek: He is back up to 20 lbs again! :mad:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, he doesn't eat that much to begin with! What am I to do with this big boy?!

Catty1
04-26-2006, 07:07 PM
There can be a lot of difference between your scales and the vets'...

How about trying this? Get an item that you KNOW how much it weighs on your scale...like a bag of sugar. Weigh it on your scale, then try and pop by your vet's place(the bag of sugar won't change its diet or gain or lose in the meantime! :D )

Then you'll know if there is any difference!

Just an idea.

Catty1

Edwina's Secretary
04-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Dear Luna,

May I please have your diet secret? I have been trying to lose weight for years now....been on Catkins for a year....and no change.

Please share!

Edwina

Sonia59
04-27-2006, 11:27 AM
It, indeed, looks a bit too much in such a short period of time (it would be 5 kg for a human of 60 kg!), but probably nothing to worry about. Two different scales were used, so you can never be sure.

Peppito has lost ~ 1 kg in 1 year, it was an extra-light diet (the obesity management vet formula from Royal Canin) that really allows to LOOSE weight. There are many other so-called "light" food that are only 10-20% lighter than normal food, and these ones (the most common foods that you can find in most of the pet shops) usually allow to STABILIZE only, not really loosing weight (or not a lot). This is what Peppito has now (also from Royal Canin, for sterilised cats).

What food is it? And of course, it all depends on the cat and the amount eaten. Peppito is always hungry...er...starving, according to what he tells me!
:)

Craftlady
04-27-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm not familar with the measuring system of kg's.
Using the measuring system here in the states of lbs (imperial system) loosing 1/2 lb in month is not bad when you have an animal on a diet plan. I find that when they are on diet plan there is more activity which promotes weight loss too.