PDA

View Full Version : First Reptile Pet

Horse Lover
04-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Hi everyone,
People in my family have allergies so I am allowed to get some sort of reptile/amphibian.
I have my hermit crabs( which are doing fine)
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about Bearded Dragons or a Leopard Geck or Chameleon or if anyone could reccomend some other pets, I have read different websites and got info, but some info is different from the other can anyone tell me which of them pets can be good for beginner and something thats OK with being handled?
Thanks So Much! :D

Aspen and Misty
04-26-2006, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't recomend a Chameleon as they are VERY hard keepers and shouldn't be handled alot.

Bearded Dragons are cute, my friend had one and I loved him to pieces!

Ashley

reptiledude
04-26-2006, 01:41 PM
chameleons are very hard to keep but snakes are probably the easist to keep. but if u want a lizad lepord geckos and bearded dragons ae good its just beardies need veggies also and lepord geckos just need small insects

buttercup132
04-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Lepord Geckos and Beardies are excellent but all depend on how much money you want to spend.
Beardies need a BIG tank but Lepords need crickets all the time and you always have to go out and get them wich cost mmoney for gas. As for a Beardie since they eat veggies then you dont have to run back and forht buying crikeckets al the time because they dont eat as many crickets as the Leopards. I would think Beardie.

Horse Lover
04-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks Everyone, Maybe in a few years or when I am older I'll consider a cameleon, so I will a more experienced. I can provide the crickets and the veggies (hermits crabs need them too :) ) We have a petstore very nearby that supplies the crickets :D About how big tanks (gallon) do these Reptiles need? If I purchased any of these animals would they need a drip system? (just curious,I have been going through all these different things for reptiles through different petstores :D ), About the snakes, I would absuloutly love to get one but , people in my family are scared of them!

BitsyNaceyDog
04-26-2006, 05:59 PM
About the snakes, I would absuloutly love to get one but , people in my family are scared of them!
To know them is to love them. :) If you do get a snake I highly recommend a corn snake as a first snake. They don't get too big and as far as snakes go they are about the easiest.

As others have stated chameleons aren't easy and should not be a starter reptile. I absolutely adore them and someday hope to have one.

I've never had a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon either.

I would like to say that iguanas are generally very popular because when you see them in the pet store they are small, cute, and extremely cheap. But I highly advise you to NOT get one. They grow to be very large lizards and they need a WHOLE LOT of space. They are also very very expensive to maintain. Sadly the majority of iguanas either die young because of improper care or they end up in an iguana rescue.

Good luck finding your pet.

CathyBogart
04-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Beardies need at least a 40 gallon tank, and Leopard geckos can live happily in a ten gallon (but really, a 20 Long isn't much more enxpensive and it gives them sooo much more space!)

Leos are MUCH cheaper to set up than beardies, they also live a lot longer, but they're both wonderful pets. :) My beardie boy is on my lap right now. :)

Horse Lover
04-26-2006, 07:43 PM
To know them is to love them. :) If you do get a snake I highly recommend a corn snake as a first snake. They don't get too big and as far as snakes go they are about the easiest.

As others have stated chameleons aren't easy and should not be a starter reptile. I absolutely adore them and someday hope to have one.

I've never had a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon either.

I would like to say that iguanas are generally very popular because when you see them in the pet store they are small, cute, and extremely cheap. But I highly advise you to NOT get one. They grow to be very large lizards and they need a WHOLE LOT of space. They are also very very expensive to maintain. Sadly the majority of iguanas either die young because of improper care or they end up in an iguana rescue.

Good luck finding your pet. Yes, at one point in my life I was reading a book and I happened to find Iquanas, then I did my research, I figured they are too big for me right now! But they do look wonderful! If we got a snake, how big of a tank? I will do some reseach right now!

Horse Lover
04-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Beardies need at least a 40 gallon tank, and Leopard geckos can live happily in a ten gallon (but really, a 20 Long isn't much more enxpensive and it gives them sooo much more space!)

Leos are MUCH cheaper to set up than beardies, they also live a lot longer, but they're both wonderful pets. :) My beardie boy is on my lap right now. :) Oh Ok! I just came back from petsmart and they had a whole big kit for bearded dragons! It came with everything(pretty much) but I guess not such a good idea cause the tank was 20 gallons , I saw a full grown leopard gecko there for 130$ but I wasnt sure how they act when they are healthy :confused: I mean this one was in a corner just sitting there, hardly any movement, So I dont know if this is regulaur? And they diddnt have Beardies!!! I have checked 2 giant petstores and no beardies! I was told they were sold out!

CathyBogart
04-26-2006, 11:18 PM
If you start with a youngin the 20 gallon tank should last a few months, during which time you could save up for a bigger tank. :) :) Young ones need to eat pretty frequently though, so be prepared to have lots of crickets handy! :)

CathyBogart
04-26-2006, 11:19 PM
If we got a snake, how big of a tank? I will do some reseach right now!

That depends on the species too. Rosy Boas are my personal favorite beginner's snake, and they're happy in a ten gallon. Corn snakes should have around 40 gallons IMO, but my aunt's lives in a 20 and he seems happy and healthy. (he gets lots of "out and about" time)

Horse Lover
04-27-2006, 02:32 PM
Well, I did a bit of research on snakes and I came upon this really cool website with nice cages/ aquariums! its http://www.customcages.com/ but they are pertty expensive for me! Any how how big are the Boas you mentioned? I gotta do reseach soon!
Thanks! :D
And do you think its cheaper to buy a aquarium or make one? Just wondering , I highly doubt I will make one but just asking!

Suki Wingy
04-27-2006, 04:24 PM
You have already gotten a lot of good advice, but I kust wanted to tell you a little bit about the Schneider's skink. If you can find them, they make good pets. I have had one for 11 years now. They are very easy keepers, love hot sand tanks, and mine lived in a 10 gal, then a propper 20 gal long. They are nice to look at but don't enjoy too much handling. They eat live crickets and a small bit of fruits/veggies.

Horse Lover
04-27-2006, 06:17 PM
You have already gotten a lot of good advice, but I kust wanted to tell you a little bit about the Schneider's skink. If you can find them, they make good pets. I have had one for 11 years now. They are very easy keepers, love hot sand tanks, and mine lived in a 10 gal, then a propper 20 gal long. They are nice to look at but don't enjoy too much handling. They eat live crickets and a small bit of fruits/veggies. Hmmm, I will do some research on them , thye sound pretty nice :D But, I actually have never seen them in petstores... where did you purchase yours? :confused:

IRescue452
04-27-2006, 06:38 PM
A Uromastyx. They need a big, dry cage, no messing with any humidity. Vegetables only- no live food needed. They get fat and about a foot long plus tail. My sister has two, they are easy keepers. I am usually afraid to hold the little lizards because they go so quick and seem so fragile. With the uros they just sit in our hands, they aren't quick enough to get away anyway. She's got two bearded dragons that are pretty tame but I still worry about them getting out of my hands and they have skinny tails and legs that I'm afraid to pick them up. They don't climb either.

CathyBogart
04-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Well, I did a bit of research on snakes and I came upon this really cool website with nice cages/ aquariums! its http://www.customcages.com/ but they are pertty expensive for me! Any how how big are the Boas you mentioned? I gotta do reseach soon!
Thanks! :D
And do you think its cheaper to buy a aquarium or make one? Just wondering , I highly doubt I will make one but just asking!

Nice website, the cages are a bit pricey for me too. As for making VS. buying...um...I think it would be cheaper to make one if you knew how, but not by a whole lot.

Rosy Boas stay under 2 feet long generally. Here's a typical Rosy Boa(baby):
http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Snake,120.jpg

Ummm, IRescue452, all Uromastyx are OMNIVOROUS, and they do need some live food in their diets.

Horse Lover
04-28-2006, 02:42 PM
WoW! Thanks everyone! There are so many pets to look at! I'll for sure find the perfect one for my family! :D
PS: I just realized HERMIcrabs are EXCELLENT escape artist I lft them for like 5 minutes in a box and I couldnt find them for 2 hours! :eek:

CathyBogart
04-28-2006, 02:45 PM
LoL, when I worked in a apet store we had a mass escape of hermit crabs one day because someone left a book on top of their cage and it caused the door to open just a crack. We were finding hermies for almost a week!

Suki Wingy
04-28-2006, 02:55 PM
But, I actually have never seen them in petstores... where did you purchase yours? :confused:
At a crappy little petstore in Chicago. :rolleyes: I've actually seen them at Petsmart every few months. Also a little shop called The Fish Bowl. I think buying her orginally cost about $30.
Just keep in mind Uromastyx can be quite expensive (Over $100 to purchase)

Horse Lover
04-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Do you think anyone could post a pic of what their aquariums for whatever reptile they have if possible? If I get one of these pets I want something to look at to make sure the aquarium has everything it needs and looks Ok. I get confused on websites.. I get freaked out when getting a pet because even if I read a LOT about them, I still worry about home their homes will be like :eek: ! So if possible please post pics :D Thank-You

zoomer
04-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Geckos are excellent pets, esspecialy Leopards. They are less likely to bite than any gecko. The dog require a lot of money though.

Suki Wingy
04-28-2006, 11:30 PM
ummmm.... Here's her 20 gallon long. Sorry I don't have a full shot. Here's a video of her eating: http://clipshack.com/Clip.aspx?key=E074D840BB8E668F

and a great link to a guy's site who breeds Scnhieder's:

http://www.helsinki.fi/~tuomola/s_housing.html
again, good luck!

GekkeGekko
04-29-2006, 07:08 AM
funny thing that you mention that your skink is in a 20 gallon tank while the link you suggested says it should be at least 50 gallons....

My advice; don't buy a reptile untill you're really into them, untill you know a lot about them, don't buy before you know which one you want and are able to keep!

Horse Lover
04-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks :D I went to a petstore (fish place) and they had used tank and there was a 55 gallon for 30$ :eek: The thing was it was a bit dirty but the glass was fine, I think I could clean the tank up properly for a reptile but what do you think about a used tank? And about snakes, I really dont know if I can handle feeding a mouse to them...

IRescue452
04-29-2006, 10:26 AM
If it was 30 dollars I'd have had it without thinking. I hope its still there if you decide to get it. If the glass has white stains from water it will come off with a little vinegar.

zoomer
04-29-2006, 11:54 AM
If you ever have questions, PM me! This my girl:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/zoomer123/contestpix005.jpg

CathyBogart
04-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks :D I went to a petstore (fish place) and they had used tank and there was a 55 gallon for 30$ :eek: The thing was it was a bit dirty but the glass was fine, I think I could clean the tank up properly for a reptile but what do you think about a used tank? And about snakes, I really dont know if I can handle feeding a mouse to them...

Used tanks are wonderful! White vinegar is one of the best ways to get them clean, that stuff will take of almost anything.

I know what you mean about mice, even though I feed frozen it can still be a bit hard. Chubby's worth it to me, but if you don't want to, don't feel bad about it...it's definitely not for everyone, and there are lots of marvelous reptiles that don't eat mice.

Suki Wingy
04-29-2006, 01:22 PM
funny thing that you mention that your skink is in a 20 gallon tank while the link you suggested says it should be at least 50 gallons....
Well, I was 5 when I got her and my parents did no research. She used to live in a ten gallong with woodchips. When we bought her we didn't even know what she was. The pet store keeper said she could live happily in a 10 gallon, and me being 5 years old, belived him. I've made it much better now. He also keeps pairs, remember.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
04-29-2006, 01:26 PM
The only reptiles I ever had were Anoles and they were easy to take care of. :)

IRescue452
04-29-2006, 01:49 PM
We never could get anoles to eat or keep their nutrition balanced. I always considered them one of the hardest lizards to keep healthy in captivity. They weren't much fun to handle either. We gave them up a long time ago. But I guess everybody has different experiences. I still think uros are the easiest I've had any experience with. My sister's came from a breeder and are nice and fat and healthy. They were only $50, the pet store here sells them for $68. I guess they could be $100 but it seems a hefty price.

Horse Lover
05-01-2006, 04:41 PM
We never could get anoles to eat or keep their nutrition balanced. I always considered them one of the hardest lizards to keep healthy in captivity. They weren't much fun to handle either. We gave them up a long time ago. But I guess everybody has different experiences. I still think uros are the easiest I've had any experience with. My sister's came from a breeder and are nice and fat and healthy. They were only $50, the pet store here sells them for $68. I guess they could be $100 but it seems a hefty price.
Anoles? I havent heard of a lot of reptiles!

Horse Lover
05-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Ummm, We looked at the petsstore today and there was a baby beardie pretty small! I was wondering If I could use repti-carpet (i think its called) for substrate or what? And since I must feed them crickets, do they HAVE to be live crickets? Or can I get already dead( :( ) crickets and get this little thing that shakes the food so Its vibrating?

Sevaede
05-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Oh Ok! I just came back from petsmart and they had a whole big kit for bearded dragons! It came with everything(pretty much) but I guess not such a good idea cause the tank was 20 gallons , I saw a full grown leopard gecko there for 130$ but I wasnt sure how they act when they are healthy :confused: I mean this one was in a corner just sitting there, hardly any movement, So I dont know if this is regulaur? And they diddnt have Beardies!!! I have checked 2 giant petstores and no beardies! I was told they were sold out!

Wow! The pet stores here sell them for $25. O_O

CathyBogart
05-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Ummm, We looked at the petsstore today and there was a baby beardie pretty small! I was wondering If I could use repti-carpet (i think its called) for substrate or what? And since I must feed them crickets, do they HAVE to be live crickets? Or can I get already dead( :( ) crickets and get this little thing that shakes the food so Its vibrating?

You can use the carpet, but it's easier for me just to use paper towels, especially for babies. You can try the vibrating thingy, but most animals aren't interested in it in my experience.

When the beardie is tiny it should eat 2 or 3 times a day, so what I did when I had a baby was keep crickets in a plastic "kritter keeper" and feed them veggies, then just drop the beardie in there a few times a day. I once had a small lizard eaten by crickets so I'm paranoid about leaving crickets in with my beardie. I always make sure they have veggies to eat. (The crix)

Horse Lover
05-13-2006, 08:18 PM
:confused:
You can use the carpet, but it's easier for me just to use paper towels, especially for babies. You can try the vibrating thingy, but most animals aren't interested in it in my experience.

When the beardie is tiny it should eat 2 or 3 times a day, so what I did when I had a baby was keep crickets in a plastic "kritter keeper" and feed them veggies, then just drop the beardie in there a few times a day. I once had a small lizard eaten by crickets so I'm paranoid about leaving crickets in with my beardie. I always make sure they have veggies to eat. (The crix)
Oh My! Your lizard was eaten by them :eek: That doesnt make me feel anybetter, poor lizard :( But are already dead crickets ok? Like even without the vibrating thingy? And the baby beardie is gonna be kept in the 40-55 gallon tank (not sure yet) so is that ok with such a tiny baby in there for now until he matures? Ok think I understand everything, so 2 bulbs lighting in tank, one is a basking light(Please recommend one) and a full spectrum florescent reptile light (please recommend), repti-carpet for substarte, drift wood for basking, log thingy, water dish OR spray veggies with water OR spary dragon, not sure about crickets yet :confused:, temperature thing ,Im probably adding fake plants possibly and maybe a few extra cage decorations, are these the basics for a tank? Please tell me if im missing anything, I have read A LOT and maybe a hammock thing, do beardies like those, if anyone can please recommend me some lights and/or other:D THANKS! :D There can be super worms and mealworms and silkworms too right? thats what I read :confused: If possible can anyone post pics of their beardie tank, so I can make sense of exactly something it should look like, cant mess up! And is it better to purchase a baby beardie or a tame adult first?

Horse Lover
05-14-2006, 10:13 AM
?? :confused: ?? Anyone have names for a bearded dragon? I want a really exotic name in like a different language not an ordinary name :D

Horse Lover
05-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Bump

shihtzulover850
05-26-2006, 02:54 PM
:D I once had a turtle I don't know a whole lot about them though so I don't know if they would bee right for you!

Horse Lover
05-28-2006, 07:24 PM
:D I once had a turtle I don't know a whole lot about them though so I don't know if they would bee right for you!
My friend has a turtle! They are really sweet! But Im still hooked on getting a bearded dragon! :D

Horse Lover
05-28-2006, 07:26 PM
I was looking at aqarariums on the web (for a beardie) and I was wondering if a flexarium would be OK for a beardie? Would it still keep in the heat? Does anyone on PT have on for their Bearded Dragon?