PDA

View Full Version : So Sad .. (Another Article - A Nice Change!)

sandragonfly
04-26-2006, 10:40 AM
chernobyl legacy (http://todayspictures.slate.com/inmotion/essay%5Fchernobyl/?GT1=8019) ..

it was twenty years ago today..

warning: heartbreaking photos.

karen, dog house?

Karen
04-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Very, tragically sad.
It is very upsetting, though, so I have moved it to the Dog House.

pitc9
04-26-2006, 11:31 AM
omg...... :( :(

critter crazy
04-26-2006, 11:35 AM
:( :( OMG.....that is so sad!!! I watch a TV show about this.....unbelievable what these people and their animals have been through!! I cant even imagine!!!! :( :( :(

DJFyrewolf36
04-26-2006, 02:06 PM
To think, this was only one "tiny" reactor and the radiation spread ALL OVER THE WORLD!...immagine what would happen during a nuclear war?

I never knew that the radiation spread to the US (I was only 4 when this happened and it was kind of glossed over in school).

Very sad, very scary and very REAL.

sasvermont
04-26-2006, 02:31 PM
My gosh.

Roxyluvsme13
04-26-2006, 02:35 PM
May I ask what Chernobyl is? I've honestly never heard of it, but the presentation has me in tears :(.

Miss Z
04-26-2006, 02:41 PM
May I ask what Chernobyl is? I've honestly never heard of it, but the presentation has me in tears :(.

Chernobyl was a nuclear explosion when scientists in the Ukraine were testing reactor 4. Radiation spread practically all over Europe and many people died, and children are still being born with physical deformities because of the disaster.:( It's really moving when you hear about all these poor families. For more information you can see this site (http://www.chernobyl.co.uk/)

The radiation even came to my part of the world, in the Lake District the ground is full of radiation from Chernobyl:eek:

DJFyrewolf36
04-26-2006, 03:00 PM
Whats disgusting is that people are downplaying the effects of the radiation. I've read a lot of things that said that even as soon as 5 years after the accident, the radiation wouldn't affect peoples health. Some are convinced the problems today are purely psychological or self inflicted (by alchol and such)

Radiation is dangerous, and there are a lot of things we STILL do not know about it. I think more research should be done.

Lady's Human
04-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Chernobyl was caused by bad engineering and lack of communication between workers. Engineers were testing the reactor safety systems while another group of workers were doing another test. Several things happened to the reactor at once which caused a cloud of hydrogen gas, and the cloud exploded. This explosion breached the containment building and showered the area with radioactive material. The Soviet Union said nothing to the outside world at this point.

The material went up into the atmosphere, and eventually triggered radiation alarms in Scandanavia. The governments in the area questioned the Soviet Union, which is when news of the accident was released publicly. My question is and has always been how many accidents occurred in the former Soviet Union which we know nothing about. There are vast tracts of land in the heart of the former USSR which are uninhabitable because of the careless drive of the USSR to compete with the west at any cost. (China should take note. Dust storms are NOT normal in Beijing)

The reactors used in the west are not the same type as the reactors at Chernobyl. There used to be active carbon pile reactors in the US, but they have been shut down since the 1960's. It would be impossible for a western reactor to have the same type of accident due to the completely different design. Western safety systems even in the primitive carbon piles would have prevented a Chernobyl type accident.

Roxyluvsme13
04-26-2006, 03:13 PM
I wrote a poem on it.. Don't know how well it describes it, but it inspired me.

The sun disappears away
While the children play
The steam comes up from the boiling ground
30 lives diminished
While the rest didn't stay
The day dwelled on
Until, there was none.
So many people still suffer
20 years from that day
The deformities, the abnormalities, the pain
They suffer through it all
with a strong-willed heart
Until they can last no more.
The sorrow that they went through
still lives on to this day,
When they all remember
that one tragic day, that changed the world for all.

Husky_mom
04-26-2006, 03:23 PM
so sad..........i couldnt see it all........i just couldnt........sorry *tears*........so sad........

sammy101
04-26-2006, 03:40 PM
:( how sad :(

kitten645
04-27-2006, 05:45 PM
I find it really disturbing that this event has indeed been glossed over and that it is not taught to everyone is unerving. There shouldn't be anyone that doesn't know about it and the resulting effects.
Kitten

sandragonfly
04-28-2006, 08:36 AM
my friend saw this and linked me to this site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4923342.stm). it's better than the first article(s) and sad pictures. I think it's a really a good, interesting article to read! my heart smiled a bit at least.

djfyrewolf, (((hugs))) (and others too), I agree. I've never heard it until I found that link during my lab researchwork. :( sorry I don't have my words in, for debation.

roxy, sweet of you - whose died (and their familes) will appreciate your nice poem.