PDA

View Full Version : Day of Silence

lady_zana
04-26-2006, 06:01 AM
Hello.

Today is the Day of Silence, in support of those who have been victims of discrimation or cannot speak for themselves.

My university's PRIDE Alliance (Gay-Straight Alliance) is particpating this year and I'm really proud of our effort. I know I'm not going to be able to do so well at not talking four 24 hours. (I've already cheated! I talk to my cats!) But I think together, we are really making a stand and I'm really proud of our group. If you'd like more information, I have posted what the Day of Silence is all about underneath. It's information directly from www.dayofsilence.org and I know they could explain it better than I can.

Wish us luck, please!

Now in its tenth year, the Day of Silence, a project of GLSEN® or the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network in collaboration with the United States Student Association (USSA), is a student-led day of action where those who support making anti-LGBT bullying and harassment unacceptable in schools participate in events to recognize and protest the discrimination and harassment—in effect, the silencing—experienced by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) students and their allies.

(Oh, I posted this in the Dog House because I wasn't sure if it should be there or in General. I thought I'd best go here, since it's better to be safe than sorry. :) If it needs to be in General, I apologize. Thank you.)

Karen
04-26-2006, 07:22 AM
This is a fine place for it to be. Good luck, and be quiet! ;)

Pawsitive Thinking
04-26-2006, 08:11 AM
Good luck......shhhhhhhhhhh

DJFyrewolf36
04-26-2006, 12:54 PM
I've participated in days of silence...as the subject means a great deal to me. (as both a victim of discrimiation and a witness to it)

I'm silent not only for the GLBT community but for ANYONE who has been discriminated against: for age, for race, for religion, for CHOICE! In my opinion, if a persons personal life does not affect you, you shouldn't let your personal beliefs affect someone else.

barncat
04-26-2006, 09:40 PM
What a great thing for a school to do.... Ironically I have not heard of this day before...

Too often people feel it is a choice of silence or survival.

I support you.

lady_zana
04-27-2006, 03:42 AM
Thank you, everybody!

We broke the silence together as a group at midnight. It was great to see the entire group pulling together. Thank you for support. :)

Uabassoon
04-27-2006, 12:50 PM
That's great that you participated in that event. I haven't done it in a few years since I was in college, our pride alliance used to participate in it every year, then at midnight we'd usually have a party and break the silence.