PDA

View Full Version : Accupuncture

Jakesmom
04-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Jake is a 9 1/2 year old Golden Retriever with, according to the neurologist, thoracic disc disease. This has caused him to become weak in his hind legs and is causing pain. He has had significant relief with Meloxicam for the past 6 months, but his weakness is progressing. I would like to avoid surgery (as it is not clear that the cure is better than the disease at this point, he's still pretty functional) so have starting acupuncture treatments.

He has had 2 treatments and it may be helping. After the first one, on the third day he didn't eat for about 24 hours. After the second one, the next day he is now not eating. In between these times he has eaten and otherwise acted normally. He is a big boy with a very big appetite, not eating is not something he EVER does. He has not vomited or had loose stools, and his energey level seems normal to better than normal.

Has anyone had any experience with acupuncture and this sort of "side effect"? He has another appointment next week and I will speak with the vet about this, obviously if he doesn't start eating again by tomorrow I'll take him in.

Thanks

Jake's mom