PDA

View Full Version : dog with itchy cut up eyes...

cali
04-25-2006, 09:41 AM
ok moist of you know my friend Golden, Dakota by now, I have metion his million health issues before, I plan to take him to my vet and see if maybe they will listen to her reccomendation to change his food. he eats pedigree healthy vitality and I saw him last night and I ask what happend to his eays because both his eyes are completly sirrounded by cuts, I was told he has been scratching at his eyes a lot, he is also nawing at his skin. my bet is on allergys, but they know my opinions on commercial foods so they wont listen to me that a change of food is in order, perhaps one without corn, I am hopeing they will listen to my vet if she says the same thing. does anyone have any other ideas what it might be? or is allergys a safe bet?

cali
04-25-2006, 06:54 PM
ok on my way to work something occured to me lol Dakota's health issues are only during the summer months, they begin in the spring, get really bad in the summer and taper away in the fall, and non existant in the winter, I dont know why I did not notice the pattern before lol meaning he has seasonal allergys(itchy eyes inchy skin, it gets to the point that he scatches and naws himself raw and winds up coverd in open lacerations) he also gets ear infections and ear mits on a regular basis, but I showed them how to keep his ears clean and they have been keeping up with it now. for his allergys they got him some benidryl and I showed then how much to give. hopefully he does not start to develope even more health problems, that dog is a walking bad health magnet.

critter crazy
04-25-2006, 06:56 PM
poor dog!! but goldens are well known for their allergies!! :(

chocolatepuppy
04-25-2006, 07:57 PM
My Mandy will rub her eyes and nose raw if her allergies get too bad. She takes an antihistamine from the vet. Benadryl helps sometimes, depending on how bad her allergies are. I hope Dakota gets some relief and is feeling better soon.

cali
04-28-2006, 07:35 PM
I asked my boss(I work for a best friends mom) today if the benadryl was helping, and she said that it is! Dakota has nott ben scratching or chewing since he started taking it! WOOHOO! :D