PDA

View Full Version : I need help with grooming.

Sevaede
04-25-2006, 12:36 AM
My husband and I live in northern Louisiana and it's get *pretty* warm outside. Well, I was wondering if it would be safe and/or nice of me to get him taken to the groomer and get a Lions Cut (Inspired by Lizzie!). He is a (mostly) black cat and his hair is long (considerably). He has this tendency to mat but will NOT let his meowmie brush him no matter how gentle she is. He will, however, let his dad do it. We have one of the metal bristle brushes and I didn't think it was the right one even from the beginning. I was told it was. Anyways, I bought an Oster plus six or seven attachments for five bucks at a garage sale. It also came with some shampoo and a video. I am not experienced with it and would like to get familiar with it before I start shaving away (if at all). Any tips, pointers, etc? What do I need to know and do? I will be googling info, too. :D Soni pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/unbakedbrownie/IMG15A.jpg

catmandu
04-25-2006, 04:08 PM
I would have him Lion Cut professionally once so you can get a good look at his skin and see if theres anything irritating him.
Then it will be easier to keep his Fur nice and short.
Good Luck with Your Companion.
We All Love Soni here.

rg_girlca
04-25-2006, 09:47 PM
I agree with Gary, or you can also ask our experienced groomer, Jen/Jenluckenbach. :)

Sevaede
04-25-2006, 11:24 PM
I would have him Lion Cut professionally once so you can get a good look at his skin and see if theres anything irritating him.
Then it will be easier to keep his Fur nice and short.
Good Luck with Your Companion.
We All Love Soni here.

I think I will look around and set up an appointment, soon. Thank you and thank you. :)

Sevaede
04-25-2006, 11:29 PM
I agree with Gary, or you can also ask our experienced groomer, Jen/Jenluckenbach. :)

Ah, okay. :D Well, he doesn't mat TOO bad, he just gets these little penny sized tufts. I just cut them out, usually, but right now he has one that is really close to his skin and I don't want to hurt him. My husband brushes him regularly but sometimes he just gets those little fur knots. He has this tendency to just... lay wherever he wants which is usually in something whether it be the shower, across a plate of wet food, in the litter box, etc. He cleans himself more than any other cat that I've had yet he still manages to be the messiest. Sometimes I wonder if he runs himself down and just plops! He's great, though. :D

jenluckenbach
04-26-2006, 05:19 AM
Cat skin cuts EXTREMELY easily. :eek: Please be ultra careful (I know, I know, everyone says they are careful, but the number of kitties that have been attempted at home and then come to my grooming shop with gashes tells me otherwise)

Lizzie was shaved with a #10 blade. The safest blade and the one that gives the best final look. MANY people ask if we can shave them without really SHAVING them (meaning leave more hair on that a #10 blade) and the answer is .... "It is not advisable." Cat hair is hard to work with. Very fine and the static electricity causes the hair to look choppy when done with a longer blade. AND the longer blades are more DANGEROUS. They have sharp points that can clip cat skin like a hot knife through butter. AND any time there is a mat, the skin is vulnerable and it is often pulled up into the mat. The reason I ramble..........if you go to the groomers let them do it their way. It is for the cat's own good. (Just make sure they are experienced with cats)

Your kitty will probably enjoy a lion clip, most cats do. :)

Sevaede
04-27-2006, 01:04 AM
Cat skin cuts EXTREMELY easily. :eek: Please be ultra careful (I know, I know, everyone says they are careful, but the number of kitties that have been attempted at home and then come to my grooming shop with gashes tells me otherwise)

Lizzie was shaved with a #10 blade. The safest blade and the one that gives the best final look. MANY people ask if we can shave them without really SHAVING them (meaning leave more hair on that a #10 blade) and the answer is .... "It is not advisable." Cat hair is hard to work with. Very fine and the static electricity causes the hair to look choppy when done with a longer blade. AND the longer blades are more DANGEROUS. They have sharp points that can clip cat skin like a hot knife through butter. AND any time there is a mat, the skin is vulnerable and it is often pulled up into the mat. The reason I ramble..........if you go to the groomers let them do it their way. It is for the cat's own good. (Just make sure they are experienced with cats)

Your kitty will probably enjoy a lion clip, most cats do. :)

Ah, okay. Thank you very much! :D

So my best bet is to go to a groomer until I learn a bit more? I can do that! :D Heh. The mat on his leg is tiny but it worries me being there. Also, is there anything I can do to calm him before he goes to the groomer? Soni is very sweet and calm with everybody but I don't want him to have some random freak out. (He never has before. He would walk right up to (and try and love on!) a complete stranger if I'd let him.)