PDA

View Full Version : Help please

dab_20
04-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Oreo's pregnant, for real this time. I figure she's due in about 4 weeks as I'm guessing she's 5 weeks along. I would really appreciate some websites on how to care for the kittens and Oreo during and after the pregnancy. I can't believe how big she's gotten in such a short amount of time. We are going to spay her after words... how long after the kittens are born can we spay her? We might keep a male kitten and nueter him. Advice would be appreciated... please don't criticize me, I had no control over spaying her earlier. I'm just a very worried momma. :(

momcat
04-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Has Oreo been examined by a vet since becoming pregnant? If not, that should be number 1 on your to do list. It's just to make sure she and the babies are all okay and to minimize any risk of complications or problems. Your vet is your best source for information. Your vet will know where things are with Oreo, may be able to tell you around when the babies will be born, what to expect, and what to do (as well as what not to do) during and after the birth. There are also several experienced and knowledgeable folks here at PT that really know what they're talking about when it comes to cats. For right now, the very best thing you can do for sweet Oreo is get her to a vet ASAP if she hasn't been checked during her pregnancy. It will also be the perfect time to discuss spaying with your vet.

dab_20
04-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will ask my dad about bringing her to the vet. I doubt he'll say yes, although, I think I can confince (sp?) him.

rg_girlca
04-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Here is a good website for you to read. I hope it is what you are looking for.

http://moggycat13.tripod.com/id85.html

catmandu
04-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Your Library should have several Good Books on Kitten Care.
Also you can check out catfancy.com.
Or Kirstens Excellent Site on Cats
Good Luck with The Momma Cat and Kittens.

dab_20
04-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the website. :)

I was also wondering, do you think she will pick outside for her place to have the kittens? I really hope not. Now that it's warm out the chickens and ducks are mainly outside except at night when they are in the barn.

rg_girlca
04-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Oh, it is VERY important that you DO keep her INSIDE , or she will just go off and have her kittens outside, where they can be harmed by other stray cats or wild animals.

Please read the whole website that I listed as it will tell what to do too prepare the mother cat for when she is near her time to have her babies and also what type of diet that she will need while being pregnant.

dab_20
04-24-2006, 09:01 PM
I will ask. Should I move her inside now? Or maybe in a couple weeks? Also, how old can the kittens be to go outside? We can't have them in too long because I've got allergies and asthma. :( Sorry for so many questions.

moosmom
04-25-2006, 10:45 AM
I will ask. Should I move her inside now? Or maybe in a couple weeks?

Yes, move her inside NOW, in a room with a birthing box, food, water and a litterbox. This way she'll have a place to have her babies.

Also, how old can the kittens be to go outside? We can't have them in too long because I've got allergies and asthma. Sorry for so many questions.

The kittens should NOT go outside until they are all spayed/neutered and have ALL their shots. Otherwise you'll be contributing to the over population of cats.

dab_20
04-25-2006, 03:38 PM
The kittens will not be spayed and nuetered and will most likely not get shots, at least not when they are with us. This is not my choice and I have no say in it. I feel guilty enough.

Karen
04-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Can you call around and see if there's a vet or clinic with a low-cost spay/neuter program? And you can ask whoever takes the kittens to sign a contract agreeing to get them spayed/neutered.

catmandu
04-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Is there an Association that you can donate the Kittens to that will do that for you.
In Hamilton they will take in Young Kittens , spay and neuter them and foster them until they find Furr Ever Homes.
They did that for Karina and Pouncettes Babies.
Good Luck with the Momma Cat and Babies.

dab_20
04-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks. I could ask my dad to look around as will I. Thanks so much for the replies! I will update you all when the kitties are born. (with pictures of course ;) )

catfamily
04-25-2006, 08:54 PM
It sounds like she could deliver any time.I DO hope she's inside RIGHT NOW.Please.Good Luck.I'll say prayers.

The mom needs to feed her babies for 6-8 weeks.(preferably 8)Then take them to a shelter.Or somewhere where the kittens will find nice homes.Don't let those kittens outside.There are many people who want kittens.Shelters get homes for kittens faster than anything else.And if you keep the mom cat,spade her when the vet tells you.Keep the mom in the house for those 8 weeks for the kittens feedings.It's absolutley necessary.The kittens need to feed off her constanty or they won't get the right nourishment and may die.

AbbyMom
04-25-2006, 10:02 PM
Thank you so much for looking after momma cat and her soon-to-be babies.

In many places, there are cat rescue organizations that will take the kittens, socialize, neuter, spay, vaccinate them, and then find them loving homes.

They stay in foster homes until they are adopted.

Try entering cat rescue + your hometown in Google. I just tried Central Minnesota and quite a few orgs were listed. Some kind person in one of those orgs may be willing to help you out with the kittens. After all, this is what cat rescue orgs do.

Looking forward to seeing baby pix! Good luck!

rg_girlca
04-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Since you have allergies and asthma and cannot keep the mama and her kittens in the house for too long, than I would STRONGLY suggest that you start looking for a non-kill shelter or rescue center right now.

It's nice that you want to help this cat, but in the long run, you will do her no good or her kittens, when you put them back outside, especially since they will not be spayed or neutered. Kittens stay with their mother for a good 8 weeks. Are you able to keep them inside for that long???? If not, then please do as AbbyMom stated in her post, as this would be the best thing to do.

Catty1
04-25-2006, 10:50 PM
OR is there a mild medication you can take until the kittens are born and ready to move on? Would a surgical mask help? Ionizing air filter in the room? Ask your doctor, maybe

HUGS
Catty1

dab_20
04-26-2006, 07:25 AM
The rescue in my town (at my moms) is a no kill shelter. I have volenteered there, and from what I see they do get lots of attention. Maybe we will take them to that shelter once they are 8 weeks, but I'm hoping we can keep a kitten. (and fix it) Thanks so much for the replies.

I already take two medicines a day, just because I'm allergic to pillows, carpet, and stuffed animals (from dust). I can't take much more that will help. My mom doesn't agree that we should bring her in, but then again she doesn't live there. ;)

dab_20
04-27-2006, 08:43 PM
I talked to my dad and Oreo is inside! :D I thought he'd say no but surprisingly he said yes right away. We are calling the humane society when they are born to tell them we are bringing in the kittens when they are 8 weeks old. Thanks for all the help!

catfamily
04-28-2006, 01:16 AM
I talked to my dad and Oreo is inside! :D I thought he'd say no but surprisingly he said yes right away. We are calling the humane society when they are born to tell them we are bringing in the kittens when they are 8 weeks old. Thanks for all the help!
Sounds like your dad is a soft hearted guy :D ;) :D

dab_20
04-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Sounds like your dad is a soft hearted guy :D ;) :D

Hehe when he wants to be. ;)

dab_20
04-28-2006, 10:02 AM
I also have a couple questions about litter box training the babies. Oreo was really easy to litter box train when she was only 6 weeks old, never made one mistake. Is it just as easy to teach younger kittens? I know I'm not supposed to buy clumping cat litter but it says you can buy scoopable. What's the difference? Any brands you suggest?

catfamily
04-28-2006, 12:48 PM
I can't remember what I used for the kittens cat litter.When you go to buy it....someone at the pet store will know what's safe or ask the vet. :)

dab_20
04-28-2006, 02:02 PM
I can't remember what I used for the kittens cat litter.When you go to buy it....someone at the pet store will know what's safe or ask the vet. :)

Ok thanks.

How about this litter?
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444178 0440&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033738&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1146256690434&itemNo=6&In=Cat&N=2033738&Ne=2