PDA

View Full Version : Oh Lordy Lordy!!!!!!!

rg_girlca
04-24-2006, 01:46 PM
What have I gotten myself into. :eek: Looks like I am in for some fun & games....NOT..... Nugget has BODY MITES also known as "Walking Dandruff Mites." THANK GOD that he is not infested with them. He will have to be confined to the room, with no introduction to my guys, for another 2 weeks.
You can read below all about this condition.
Looks like I got my work cut out for me. :(
They took scrapings from 3 different places and once it was confirmed that he has Body Mites, he was given a shot of Ivermectin and has to return in two weeks for another one. He took the shot well.
Later tonight, around 7:00 p.m., I can call for the results of his blood tests. Which, by the way, he did not handle very well.
It took 3 of them to hold him down and 4 tries before they were able to get blood from him. :eek: Broke two of his veins trying this. Poor sweet boy. The vet said he is a very strong, but docile cat, as he didn't try to scratch or bite them at all. I almost wish that he had. They brought him into another room to do the blood tests, so I did not witness this. Thank goodness.

Cheyletiellosis in Cats (Walking Dandruff Mite) by: Dr. Mark Thompson

Cheyletiellosis is an itchy, scaling skin disease of cats caused by infestation with Cheyletiella mites. It is often called walking dandruff because when you examine an infested cat, you may see that the “dandruff” is moving. The movement is actually caused by the mites moving around under the scales. Although the mites inhabit the entire body, the scaling and itching often seem worse over the back.

Kittens seem to be more susceptible than older animals, but infestation of adults is sometimes seen. The mite is transmitted by close contact with infested animals. Since the mite can live for a few days off the host, it is also possible to become infected through environmental contamination. Poor sanitation and nutrition and overcrowding can lead to infestation.

The discomfort of itching and the lesions the animal can cause to himself by scratching is directly related to the impact of this disease on the cat.

What to Watch For;
Itchiness
Flaky, scaly hair coat

Diagnosis

A medical history may reveal a scaly, itchy skin problem on one or more of the animals in the home, often after a recent addition of a new pet. These mites can temporarily infest people, so you may experience an itchy rash on arms, belly, back and chest.

Your veterinarian will do a physical exam, which will probably reveal the characteristic scaly skin along the cat’s back. However, not all animals show this distribution of lesions. These mites are large compared to other mites and in cases of heavy infestation, you can see them on the skin with a magnifying glass.

Other diagnostic tests may include:

Flea comb. Combing with a flea comb is probably the most reliable method of diagnosis. The cat should be thoroughly combed all over the body and the scale that is collected on the comb should be viewed under a microscope. The scale may also be placed on a dark background and observed. These mites appear as white specks that move, hence the name “walking dandruff” mites.

Skin scrapings. Microscopic evaluation of skin is less accurate than flea combing in light infestation because only a small area of skin is evaluated. Skin scrapings are often done to rule out other itchy skin diseases like scabies, and the mite may be picked up in the process.

Acetate tape. Impressions of the skin with clear acetate tape can pick up mites, which can then be seen when the tape is placed on a drop of mineral oil on a slide and viewed under a microscope. This method also has the disadvantage of sampling only a small area.

In cases where mites cannot be found, but a parasite is suspected, your veterinarian may elect to treat for the disease and look for a response to the treatment.

Treatment

Although commonly used flea sprays, shampoos and powders may give temporary relief, more aggressive treatment is needed for long term success of walking dandruff mites. Treatment includes:

Ivermectin is an effective treatment for cheyletiellosis. It may be given by subcutaneous injection or orally. This drug is usually used every 1 to 2 weeks for at least 4 weeks.

Selamectin is a topical drug that is applied to the skin of cats between the shoulder blades. This drug shows promise in treating cheyletiellosis. It is applied monthly for at least two months.

Lime sulfur dips are effective, although clipping of the hair coat may be necessary in medium and longhaired breeds to get the best results. Dips may need to be done weekly for 6 to 8 weeks.

Whatever treatment is selected, it is important to treat all animals in the household.

Home Care and Prevention

Treating the home environment may be necessary to prevent reinfestation. Wash all bedding and discard brushes and combs. Vacuum carpets and upholstery thoroughly and repeatedly and spray the house with a flea premise spray.

Although prevention is difficult, there are some steps you can take to lessen the occfurrance. Avoid the cat while infested since these mites are highly contagious. Be sure to have any new animals evaluated by a veterinarian before they are admitted to your home. Cheyletiellosis can be contagious to people so anyone handling the pet should thoroughly wash their hands and use appropriate caution.

catmandu
04-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Poor Little Nugget.
Big Nugget Angel has been by his Proteges side,trying to calm him down,and telling Nugget taht the White Coats are there to make him feel better.
Hes bringing Shrimps tonight for The Little Nugget.

kitten645
04-24-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm really weird about skin stuff but even calling it walking dandruff makes me ill!! I've never heard of this before!! I'm so sorry for you and hope little Nugget gets better really soon. Kisses and hugs for you both. :eek:
Kitten

Donnaj4962
04-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Awww. Poor little Nugget.... but he will soon be better and able to meet his brothers!

::: I am itching as I type this!::: :rolleyes:

But I know he is loved and in the best place he can be to get better. Maybe he got them from his mean old (previous) owner's husband! :p

Please keep us posted on how things are progressing.

orangemm
04-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Poor boy, wonder how long he's been suffering with this? Has he scratched a lot?

I hope he'll be feeling much better soon. Give him some scritches from me.

rg_girlca
04-24-2006, 06:44 PM
I don't know Orangemm how long Nugget has had this and I have never seen him scratching himself either. So I am praying that this was caught in the very early stage and that since he hasn't been out of the room that none of my guys will get them. Oh, how I pray for this.

When we leave the room, we have to really brush our clothes off and go and wash our hands immediately.

The vet said that after a week we will see that most of the bites will be gone.
Since he isn't infested with the mites, it should only take 1 more shot to really do the trick.

GOOD NEWS THOUGH.........HIS BLOOD TESTS ARE NEGATIVE!!!!!!! YYYAAAYYYY!!!!

But I still can't inroduce him to the boys because of this problem and he so wants out of the room so badly. He has been crying to come out. Poor sweet boy. Oh gosh, I feel like crying myself. :(

zippy-kat
04-25-2006, 12:04 AM
Oh poor Nugget! That just sounds like the pits - makes me want to start scratchin' too. :(

However, at least it's a mild case and it's VERY GOOD to hear the blood results came back negative! Woohoo! I think this calls for a round o' nip. ;)

orangemm
04-25-2006, 04:34 AM
It's ok, Nuggett, your meowmie wants to make sure you are in the very best of health when you get together with your new fursibs! No need for everybody to be flakin'!! :eek:

At least you can see each other and poke nosies at the door.

Killearn Kitties
04-25-2006, 04:51 AM
Oh no!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid136/p3d9cc4d6a99be0d3f02995884a6223c9/f75c7f12.jpg

Samantha is most sympathetic and sends some scritchies Nugget's way.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you manage to contain it. Poor boy.

jenluckenbach
04-25-2006, 05:46 AM
:eek: YIKES :eek:

Good news about the blood tests though. :D

krazyaboutkatz
04-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Poor Nugget.:( I'm glad it's a mild case that should be able to be cleared up quickly. Hopefully no one else will get this. It sure sounds awful.:(

I'm so glad to hear that his blood work results came back great.:)

Donnaj4962
04-25-2006, 03:59 PM
I am so glad to hear that the blood tests are negative! That is great news!

I am sure everyone is "itching" to meet one another, :rolleyes: but they will soon meet and be the best of buds!

rg_girlca
04-25-2006, 10:19 PM
I am sure everyone is "itching" to meet one another, :rolleyes: but they will soon meet and be the best of buds!

LOL!!!! Good one. :D

Killearn Kitties, I ROTFLMAO on your comment and picture. Thanks I needed that.

I think what helped with Nugget having this mild, is that Liz had given him quite a few flea treatments when she first got him as he was infested with fleas and I found out that she also gave him another flea treatment 2 days before she brought him to me. They say that flea treatment is temporary, but with the proper treatment that he got, I'm sure that it was nipped in the butt. I hope anyway. I have been sleeping in the room since he came and I have not had one bite, so far anyway. KNOCK ON WOOD.

Thanks for all your concerns and replies. :D

jazzcat
04-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Oh no! I've not heard of "walking dandruff mites". :eek: Kind of makes me itchy. Hope you don't get them.

I am glad to hear his blood tests were negative - thank goodness! Poor little Nugget. Please give him some gentle pets for me.

Laura's Babies
04-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Poor Nugget! I too, have never heard of this and think of how miserable a bad case of that could be for them. Wonder where in the world he got them? Such a lucky day when he became yours and this was caught early.