PDA

View Full Version : How to know if it's a female or a male kitty

Kitty4life
04-24-2006, 08:49 AM
:confused: ok so i just got this beautiful little kitty(about 2 months old) and i don't know if it's a he or a she...Is there a way to determine that except going to the vet??Thanks

catmandu
04-24-2006, 09:38 AM
I am just thinking about how to phrase the answer.
My Great Niece has a Cta that is not neutered yet.
She has he has Little Pom Poms behind his tail.
At Two Months the Male Cat should have Little Pom Poms too.

moosmom
04-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Yup, what Catmandu said. Just life it's tail. If there are 2 fur-covered pussy willows, then it's a boy. If there are non, then it's a girl.

smokey the elder
04-24-2006, 10:41 AM
If they're too young, the "pom poms" may not have descended yet. One of my former foster kittens was a hermaphrodite! When they went to spay "her" they found cryptorchid "equipment"! They didn't charge extra, though. :)

rg_girlca
04-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Hope this helps. :)

To tell if your kitten is male or female, you will need to lift the tail and look at the back end. Both sexes will have two holes but on a female the holes will be fairly close together, whereas on a male there will be a space where the testicles will develop.

Jessika
04-24-2006, 05:32 PM
If he is two months, it should be pretty easy to tell. To tell the gender of newborn kittens you just look down south. Lay them on their back. If its a dot, its a boy. If its a slit, its a girl.

Otherwise lift the tail and look from behind and you should be able to tell that way ;)

barncat
04-24-2006, 06:43 PM
...and if the cat is long haired it is harder to tell. But as everyone is saying, at 2 monthes most times you will see puff-balls if its male.

dab_20
04-24-2006, 07:38 PM
I agree with everyone above. If it's a male it's very easy to tell. Jessika, thanks for posting that way to tell if it's a boy or girl. Oreo's pregnant so I was wondering how to tell w/ newborn kittens.

Jessika
04-24-2006, 07:40 PM
I agree with everyone above. If it's a male it's very easy to tell. Jessika, thanks for posting that way to tell if it's a boy or girl. Oreo's pregnant so I was wondering how to tell w/ newborn kittens.
Well if you can't tell by just looking, you may have to take two fingers and push the skin back a little bit. But its not TOO hard, you just have to know what you're looking for ;)

dab_20
04-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Well if you can't tell by just looking, you may have to take two fingers and push the skin back a little bit. But its not TOO hard, you just have to know what you're looking for ;)

Thanks for the info. :)

Beauty17
04-25-2006, 09:55 AM
But you *are* going to take it to the vet, right? Because little kitties need to be checked for overall health, worms, basic shots, etc. - and eventually for spaying and neutering. It's all part of giving them what they need and deserve.