PDA

View Full Version : I guess I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch...

Sevaede
04-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Do any of you have any tips on confining two cats to one single room? I feel bad for having to do it but it has become a dire necessity at this point. We have been living in a two story house that they have had free run of until this point. First, Soni gets out and gets hurt by someone "accidentally" letting him out. Now, last night, somebody left the window open and she was found by Troys mom, scared, out in the drive way so she brought Isis inside. She could have been out as long as twelve plus hours and she IS in heat. I just hope she isn't pregnant. Moreso, I am glad that she didn't run out in the street (close to where she was found, hanging around) and get hurt! That's what I get for talking about her upcoming spay! :(

Abby&Buddy'sMom
04-23-2006, 08:12 PM
I hope that this doesnt sound too harsh, but why are these kittys not spayed and/or neutered?? you would not have to worry about unwanted /un-necessary pregnancies if proper precautions were being taken in the first place. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am sure many of us here would also agree that spaying and neutering should be of the utmost importance.
I have a male (neutered) and a female (spayed) who live very happily together and I have NO worries about any unwanted pregnancies.

Catty1
04-23-2006, 09:05 PM
She has already made an appt for Isis to get spayed.

W, if you did want to get a couple more kitties done, you might try Googling Free Spay and Neuter in your state, and see what comes up. There are quite a few in Texas, for example.

I know the $$ can add up!

hugs
Catty1

Sevaede
04-23-2006, 11:36 PM
I hope that this doesnt sound too harsh, but why are these kittys not spayed and/or neutered?? you would not have to worry about unwanted /un-necessary pregnancies if proper precautions were being taken in the first place. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am sure many of us here would also agree that spaying and neutering should be of the utmost importance.
I have a male (neutered) and a female (spayed) who live very happily together and I have NO worries about any unwanted pregnancies.

MY male cat *is* neutered. Isis hasn't been spayed yet because she still has to get her shots up to date. The shots include three at one appointment and a two booster two weeks later. Being as they want them to be up to date, I can't get her spayed until after her boosters. Now, as for her getting out. My husband and I live with two other people. I can't control nor watch what happens during the night after I have already gone to sleep. We have tried and tried to talk to them about being more cautious with doors and windows but that doesn't mean that they didn't let her out on purpose, forget to shut a door completely, or simply open the window too far. Now, they are the ones with the unneutered males (and unspayed females). I cannot afford to take 10+ cats (My two, their five adults, and their newest litter) to the vet at this point in my life. However, I do plan on (trying to) adopting one of the unspayed females, getting her spayed, and keeping her as she is very sweet, docile, and worn out. The health of my cats IS of the utmost importance to me. THAT is why my husband and I have put so much time and care in to their health, making sure they have everything they need, making sure they have the BEST. My cats are spoiled and can't and won't want for need ANYTHING including veterinary care. We LOVE our cats. That's why we do so much of what we do for them. So much time, care, love, tears, and whatnot. I really hate to bring money in to the subject (since it means NOTHING and is nothing when it comes to our babies) but do you have *any* sort of relative idea what we have spent when we are struggling to get the money to buy a bed, get an apt, get my drivers license (for work), etc? Or how it was when we were at the place before we came here? We had NO food, bills getting cut off (because of mistakes on the companies part), etc. but our cats STILL got the care they needed. The emergency vet trips, the medicines and antibiotics, the checkups, the ultrasounds (to make sure Isis didn't have pyometra), and whatnot. If I do sound bitter that is because I am a little agitated. I know you probably mean well so I am trying to take it all in good faith but if you had read this post (fully) and one not a couple inches down from this one you would know that Isis IS being spayed soon.

Sevaede
04-23-2006, 11:43 PM
She has already made an appt for Isis to get spayed.

W, if you did want to get a couple more kitties done, you might try Googling Free Spay and Neuter in your state, and see what comes up. There are quite a few in Texas, for example.

I know the $$ can add up!

hugs
Catty1

Wow, thanks! That's a good idea and I probably should have thought of that sooner! XD (I google lots of things, why didn't I think of that?) I know that one of the animal rescues here in town gives out spay/neuter vouchers on the first and third saturday of every month (for qualified applicants. they spend $15k plus ever year just on spays and neuters!) and I could go to them. However, there are two problems. They are not my cats and my husbands dad does not have very nice views regarding animals or their welfare. Perhaps I should talk about it with his mom? Dilemma number two would be trying to get them in to a carrier. I've been bringing it out there for them to get used to and they're still iffy about it. Mama Cat shouldn't be too hard to get that done with, though, because she is SOOO sweet and docile. My idea is that she was, once, someones inside companion. I am hoping to adopt her, too. :D So, I shall see and make plans! And then I will update! :D

Abby&Buddy'sMom
04-24-2006, 06:53 AM
i'm glad it is all going to work out well for all after all :) and that is what is most important :)

catmandu
04-24-2006, 09:41 AM
The Found Ctas too hope taht things turn out well for You and Isis.
Pouncirge got out and if it wasnt for Our Hero Tubby 2 running out and carrying her home,I am afraid that I dont know waht would have happened.
Please give Your Cats some pats from All Of Us.

RedHedd
04-24-2006, 11:49 AM
You need a stern talking-to your roommates about keeping the doors shut and windows not open far enough for a cat to get out. Get some locks put on the windows that limit how far the windows can be opened. I have them on all my windows; you can unlock them when you want to open the windows further, but mine are all installed so the windows can't be opened more than a few inches - less than cat-head size.

As for getting the cats into the carriers, you have a husband to help (isn't that what they're for? ;) The cats will balk, run and hide, but you are bigger and stronger than they are. It's a necessary evil in the life of indoor cats and we've all dealt with it. Now it's your turn. You CAN do it.

Abby&Buddy'sMom
04-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Good luck with the crating ;) if only everyone had it this easy as I do ...LOL!!!....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/p1580071a9caff6441f53973b9380f65a/f4df7b0f.jpg

My two actually love to go into their crate :) as they will stay in it for hours (napping) with the door wide open ,and go in and out at their leasure :) :D

Sevaede
04-25-2006, 12:08 AM
The Found Ctas too hope taht things turn out well for You and Isis.
Pouncirge got out and if it wasnt for Our Hero Tubby 2 running out and carrying her home,I am afraid that I dont know waht would have happened.
Please give Your Cats some pats from All Of Us.

sounds like what happened to Isis! Debbie was out at five am, to get the paper, and she found Isis on the driveway. Isis bolted when she saw her, back into the garage, and so she let her in the house. I am so glad that it went like that instead of Isis running out in the street (before OR after Debbie found her). Isis says, "Brrrrrrrow?" (A meow that started off as a purr, that's how most of them are!)

Sevaede
04-25-2006, 12:23 AM
You need a stern talking-to your roommates about keeping the doors shut and windows not open far enough for a cat to get out. Get some locks put on the windows that limit how far the windows can be opened. I have them on all my windows; you can unlock them when you want to open the windows further, but mine are all installed so the windows can't be opened more than a few inches - less than cat-head size.

As for getting the cats into the carriers, you have a husband to help (isn't that what they're for? ;) The cats will balk, run and hide, but you are bigger and stronger than they are. It's a necessary evil in the life of indoor cats and we've all dealt with it. Now it's your turn. You CAN do it.

Well, we are moving out soon so that should solve that problem. Too much stress. Besides, the witties (as I have decided to dub them. sickening, isn't it? :P ), need a space to call their own. I am super excited about that because we are planning on getting two extra bedrooms. One will be for ours to sleep, play, and whatnot, when they are not having the run of the house! :D The other extra room will be for our foster kitties (I am in the process of getting that set up with one of the animal rescue organizations here in town.).

Well, they routinely get in the carriers and hang out in there. They really love to do it when the other is in one or when I am messing with one of the carriers. So, I guess there really shouldn't be any worries about how fair it is for them and if they'll hate me forever? ( :( )

Sevaede
04-25-2006, 12:24 AM
Good luck with the crating ;) if only everyone had it this easy as I do ...LOL!!!....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/p1580071a9caff6441f53973b9380f65a/f4df7b0f.jpg

My two actually love to go into their crate :) as they will stay in it for hours (napping) with the door wide open ,and go in and out at their leasure :) :D

Heh, Soni and Isis really only like to do it when the other has to be in one or when I am cleaning one, taking it apart for various reasons, etc.